• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Claude Gordon and his Big Band on American Bandstand 1959

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
And yet...In one of the other dedicated forums someone has started a thread analyzing what appears to him in the video to be Claude's "inflated upper lip" on high notes. Oh the irony...

How ridiculous. Anyone should know what a chaw of tobacco looks like.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
EricV wrote:
This is a great clip and as John says one tight band!

Anyone know who the three trumpet players were? You would have to be pretty good to get a gig with CG i imagine!!

Thanks for posting this

Eric

I think I saw Claude G inflate his top lip a bit, at least when he ascended - commenting this since I´ve found I do the same whenever I play above say G on top of staff. Never did that in younger days, as far as I remember.
It´s no problem for me but my latest (and 2:nd overall) teacher tells me to avoid that.
What´s your opinions on this?
And of course -nice clip!

Hi there,

I didn't realize you posted about this here as well as on the Balanced Embouchure forum. I'm glad you posted here because I didn't feel comfortable posting a reply in the BE forum as what I have to say for fear it might not sit well with Jeff Smiley (I try to be very respectful of dedicated forums).

In my opinion your latest teacher doesn't know what he is talking about. Who is he to say that your embouchure is somehow wrong based on how something about it looks?!?!

If your lip "inflates" a bit as you say, let it. I stopped worrying about what my lips look like when I play more than forty years ago. I'm sure my success as a player is at least partially due to that decision.

Best wishes to you,

John
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
mrhappy wrote:
RussellDDixon wrote:
. I like the Tenor player who was bouncing a lot !

Yeah me too!!

I KNEW you would Mr. Happy !!!

I was so fixated on Claude I didn't notice the bouncer at first. Love watching him now! He's clearly having the time of his life!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Seymor B Fudd wrote:
EricV wrote:
This is a great clip and as John says one tight band!

Anyone know who the three trumpet players were? You would have to be pretty good to get a gig with CG i imagine!!

Thanks for posting this

Eric

I think I saw Claude G inflate his top lip a bit, at least when he ascended - commenting this since I´ve found I do the same whenever I play above say G on top of staff. Never did that in younger days, as far as I remember.
It´s no problem for me but my latest (and 2:nd overall) teacher tells me to avoid that.
What´s your opinions on this?
And of course -nice clip!

Hi there,

I didn't realize you posted about this here as well as on the Balanced Embouchure forum. I'm glad you posted here because I didn't feel comfortable posting a reply in the BE forum as what I have to say for fear it might not sit well with Jeff Smiley (I try to be very respectful of dedicated forums).

In my opinion your latest teacher doesn't know what he is talking about. Who is he to say that your embouchure is somehow wrong based on how something about it looks?!?!

If your lip "inflates" a bit as you say, let it. I stopped worrying about what my lips look like when I play more than forty years ago. I'm sure my success as a player is at least partially due to that decision.

Best wishes to you,

John

John - it so happens that Jeff and you agree!
Thanks for your reply - at my age I shouldn´t worry about my looks.
Yes I posted here and on the BE forum because my question was two-folded 1)as I (which probably is quite obvious from my posts) have been very much helped by the BE method - and genuinely want to pay respect to Jeff I thought that forum was the right one 2)on the other hand, reading a lot of posts, watching videos, you name it, I thought this might be a more general question - puckering or inflating or variants - what are the preferences in the trumpet community? Pros and cons etc. I do understand (I hope) that this is very personal - we are all same but different. Many great players - I´m thinking of Hakan Hardenberg - seemingly does not move his lips at all in spite of the trickiest phrases.

This teacher of mine is a very successful and well educated player - his ideas on breathing really appeal to me - and I don´t see any real contradictions with the BE - but then I´m an eclectic guy and at my age I´ve seen miracle methods come and go - not least within my own profession, the eternal search for the holy grail. The BE method is not that, to me, I´ve tested a lot in my days - amateur as I am - but I found the BE extremely helpful to me - dedicated open- minded work is required, as always.
One basic flaw in my playing is the intermittent lack of "flow" - maintaining an even flow of air - probably I´m not the only one.....
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! And a swinging band. It reminds me of my dad's big band about that time, playing ballrooms and high school and college dances.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
John - it so happens that Jeff and you agree!
Thanks for your reply - at my age I shouldn´t worry about my looks.

Yes, I noticed that. It wasn't the first time we agreed and I'm sure it won't be the last.

And you're welcome!
Bruce Haag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude gave a number of us VHS copies of this video, and also gave us one of him soloing with the Lawrence Welk band, but then later asked for them back due to copyright concerns. So it's nice to see it again!
Authorized Kanstul Musical Instruments dealer
15 year student of Claude Gordon
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
Skype Lessons
Formerly with Stan Kenton
Elvis Presley - Las Vegas Shows
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic just a bit ... do any of you guys know what the Marcinkiewicz CG Personal inner diameter compares to in a Bach ?
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:
Off topic just a bit ... do any of you guys know what the Marcinkiewicz CG Personal inner diameter compares to in a Bach ?

The Marcinkiewicz CG Personal inner diameter is just a tad bigger than the Kanstul CG Personal, and the Kanstul CG Personal's inner diameter is about the same as a modern Bach 10-1/2C or a New York Bach 7, so for what it's worth, I'd say the Marcinkiewicz version would be around the size of a modern Bach 7 mouthpiece in terms of inner diameter and cup depth (the modern Bach 7 is a little bigger than the New York Bach 7). But note that both CG Personals are much more V shaped then either the modern or New York Bach 7 mouthpieces which have more U shaped cups.

I'm basing the comparison of the Kanstul CG Personal to the 10-1/2C and New York 7 from what I'm seeing on the Kanstul Comparator.

Best wishes,

John
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eis1SafO0g&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3UTWOSX7TUF3fcJpHBW5oNC6S4SlyEANKSFD8lpeHaIYzLdT8pA8A1SiY
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eis1SafO0g&feature=share&fbclid=IwAR3UTWOSX7TUF3fcJpHBW5oNC6S4SlyEANKSFD8lpeHaIYzLdT8pA8A1SiY

I've always enjoyed that one!
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think i can hear his upper lip inflating from time to time 😳
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
i think i can hear his upper lip inflating from time to time 😳

Well, his upper lip might have inflated, but at least he didn't wrap himself in duct tape.

homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do we know this as fact?????

how else do you think that he got that big vibrato......?
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:

I guess the Carnival of Venice Happened in Old Monterey.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
do we know this as fact?????

how else do you think that he got that big vibrato......?

Only you and I know what this conversation is about. That's probably a good thing.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
JVL wrote:

I guess the Carnival of Venice Happened in Old Monterey.

Musicologists will eventually all agree that Claude's big band trumpet solos are the missing link between the Virtuoso Cornet Soloists of the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and modern jazz soloing.

It's a unique thing for sure, but I LOVE it.

And it does remind me of some of the soloing that Harry James did.
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the first time i listened to Claudes band on CD, im thinking what a tight band rocking away with a great sound, then out of nowhere comes this trumpet sounding like it was practicing one of the old solos or some Arban exercises, it was really weird but the more i listened the more it seemed to fit!

Its cool to see Claude playing with the band, great post

Cheers and stay safe everyone

EricV
trptdoc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: VHS of CG performances Reply with quote

Hi Bruce, Your post reminded me that I lost all those videos/CD’s of CG playing in the Paradise fire. Claude told me on the Lawerence Welk performance he lost his place and improvised over a full chorus or so. It was hard to tell but definitely there.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Larry,

I'm sure sorry you lost everything in that fire, but I'm sure glad you survived and it's nice to see you posting here!

Do you (or Bruce or anybody) remember what I remember to be an I Love Lucy episode where Lucy and Ricky are taking an ocean cruise that there's a scene where Claude pops up out of one of those ventilation funnels playing his trumpet, startling Lucy? We watched it once at Claude's house shortly before he passed away. I've search for the scene and the episode on the internet but without success.

Best wishes,

John Mohan, RN

P.S. I just love writing that! I'll write it again.

Sincerely,

John Mohan, RN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: