• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lew Soloff head position!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jazzerfred

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:42 am    Post subject: Lew Soloff head position! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I went to a class with Lew Soloff years ago, and remember him saying something about a head position a bit like a chin tuck, has anyone got any experience of this or know anything about it?

Thanks!

Freddie
YBChen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, tuck your chin and keep your chest up. Some players suggest that way. Also, some people might disagree with it. There are great players on either side. Give it a try to see if that works for you.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this head position include pulling the chin itself rearward? Or, is it more of 'lifting and straightening' your neck and head, and then moving the chin/jaw into position for playing?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps he was referring to the position of his chin regarding his embouchure. I can tell you that in health care, we have dysphagiac patients tuck their chins toward their chests when swallowing because this prevents aspirating food by at least partially closing off the airway. And the first step when performing CPR (after verifying there is no respirations or pulse) is the opposite - we tilt the patient's head back by grasping the lower jaw and thrusting it up and outward to open up the airway. So I don't think tucking ones chin down toward the chest is a good idea if one is doing something that requires a good, open airway such as brass playing.
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it had nothing to do with tucking in your chin. it was about aligning your head and spine. I'm sure that he learned this from his teacher Edward Treutel. He would have you stand up straight against a wall touching the wall with your back and head. This would be the correct playing position. FWIW.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In some of the Monette videos Dave M. talks about moving your head back.

Link

Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a number world class players talking about their lessons with Ed Treutel in this post. Posture was a main point that they all mention about their lessons.
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played with Lew many times over the years, and posture was for sure very important to him;Only time his head went down(chin tuck?) was when he was trying to figure out which mouthpiece to grab next from his pouch!
Fantastic player, and could be hysterically funny too; About 6 months before he passed away,I was sitting in a section with him in a big band rehearsal, and the leader was giving a serious explanation of the road map of a chart to the saxes; After about 30 seconds of this, Lew grabs a mouthpiece and waves it around for the section, and says, rather loudly"When you turn 70,get one of these, it will save your ass!" It was a Callet superchops I think; Funny!
He is so missed.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew gave me only one chop thing: to keep my lower lip in the mpc best I can. I heard he sent people to Ed when they went too far with chop issues. He was about the music, spent less time on warming up and routine, far more on music. What a character. So miss him.

ed
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lew was a real character. I met him a couple of times. He was such an amazing player. He did a clinic at Berklee when I was a student. He was playing with a faculty rhythm section. The clinic was in the performance center. Lew was walking around the stage while playing and pointing his horn in various directions. I sat there wondering what the hell he was doing. He mentioned after that he was checking the acoustics of the theater.
I also heard him as a guest soloist with a college band at the Qunnipiac Jazz Festival. He played a piece written for him. I think it was called Solo For Soloff.
I know that Lew had also studied with Carmine Caruso as a young man. I know a French horn player who roomed with Lew in college. This individual also studied with Caruso later on when some chop issues started giving him trouble.
In the late 70's Lew happened to be playing at a place in my area that featured jazz on Sunday nights. My French horn playing friend happened to live close by. I told him Lew would be playing and he stopped by. They had a nice reunion, hadn't seen each other in 15 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: