• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Monel Valves : New Trumpet : Discolouration : Is this common

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:41 am    Post subject: Monel Valves : New Trumpet : Discolouration : Is this common Reply with quote

Hi there, we found that these Monel valves had black brown discolouration and black spots in the brass valve areas after a few months of purchase. Is this common or should we be concerned. It was in storage for a couple of weeks and we were alarmed when seen. This is on the first valve, the other valves are not as badly effected but there are dark black spots. Just joined the forum so will include image when known how to attach.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest a thorough cleaning of the valve pistons and the horn. Use warm soapy water in a large soft plastic tub to prevent bumps and dents! Don't get the felts on the pistons wet.
Use a Q-tip to clean the pathways and ports in the pistons.

Sometimes the valves need to 'wear in' a bit with the casing, and that can lead to discoloration. As long as the pistons and the inside of the casings are still smooth, there shouldn't be a problem.
If the pistons are pitted, or the discolored areas seem rough or have a different 'finger tip feel', then there might be concerns.

Apply fresh grease (or heavy oil) to the slides, and valve oil on the pistons.

Also, sometimes a person's internal 'mouth chemistry' can have an effect. Be sure to brush your teeth and rinse before playing. And do not drink 'flavored beverages' while playing - just plain water.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.

Last edited by JayKosta on Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Carly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay, sound advice, though this trumpet has had a thorough methodical clean, with q tips, warm soapy water, grease and the valve oil that came with the trumpet. We also use a trumpet swab, similar to a saxophone one to absorb any moisture along the tubing. When taken to the dealer they thought they could just use 'q' tip to remove the blemish but it did not work, it will be going back to the dealer's technician for assessment.

Thanks anyway, perhaps a trumpet technician can advise as to what this may be and why it is caused, despite all precautions to keep clean and care.

I do have images but do not know how to upload them.

JayKosta wrote:
I suggest a thorough cleaning of the valve pistons and the horn. Use warm soapy water in a large soft plastic tub to prevent bumps and dents! Don't get the felts on the pistons wet.
Use a Q-tip to clean the pathways and ports in the pistons.

Sometimes the valves need to 'wear in' a bit with the casing, and that can lead to discoloration. As long as the pistons and the inside of the casings are still smooth, there shouldn't be a problem.
If the pistons are pitted, or the discolored areas seem rough or have a different 'finger tip feel', then there might be concerns.

Apply fresh grease (or heavy oil) to the slides, and valve oil on the pistons.

Jay
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about any Bach trumpet I've owned has had this happen. I use Flitz cleaner on them, going lightly the length the piston, then be very careful to clean all of the residue before reassembling the instrument. Monel is extreely hard and the light buffing has never seemed to cause any issues. If you do not clean the pistons thoroughly afterwards, however, they will hang up.

I also use the Flitz in the same manner on the slide ferrules. It's easy enough on the finish that I can use it on fine blued firearms with no damage, either. Also works well on many automotive parts as well as paint if used correctly. Good luck.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had many instruments with monel valves come to my shop having this problem. In particular the early Jupiter monel valves, but also many Bachs and MANY low end instruments. To Jupiter's credit, they admitted it was a problem. They said it was caused by the composition of the monel causing brass from the casing to stick to it. I believe this is called galling. They sent me replacement stainless steel valves for every instrument I repaired at not charge. Problem solved. Other major manufacturers only passed the blame onto some other factor, not their problem.

I have had good luck using a light abrasive like jeweler's rouge or tripoli mixed with oil on a rag to hand buff the material off the valve. Be sure to thoroughly clean the valve afterwards. One friend had me do this to his Bach several years ago and it is still problem free now.

Last edited by mike ansberry on Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
walldaja

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ on the Flitz cleaner. I find that an occasional cleaning with this product gives me smooth and reliable valve action.

Sonare TRC-800, Dennis Wick 1.5C
Blessing Standard, Denis Wick 1.5C
Accent TR959 CDB C tpt Stork XM2 Studio Mstr
Jupiter 846S Flug Schilke 18F
Shires Q30GR T-bone 5 / 4 CL
Yamaha YBL-421G T-bone 2 CL
Jean Baptist Euphonium Stork 4
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this on my flugel, and used Flitz.

Question for Mike Ansberry: if you feel jeweler's rouge would be safe enough in the hands of a non-tech, could you recommend a brand or supplier?
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the Flitz product?
https://www.flitz.com/brass-copper-tarnish-remover/
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be. I get the little tube at a hardware store. https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-imlukvc/images/stencil/380x507/attribute_rule_images/137_source_1561145848.jpg
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt,

Different product. That is the polish, but now I know what you used.
I wonder if the stuff made for brass would also be good. Anyone know?
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
Is this the Flitz product?
https://www.flitz.com/brass-copper-tarnish-remover/

No. This: https://www.flitz.com/polishes/

Get a small tube (like toothpaste tube). It's the PASTE polish It'll last you a long time.
Carly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Cgaii

I note that you have a Yamaha YTR-6335S that is similar to the 5335gsii that has this valve problem. Did your trumpet valves have similar blemish in the valves?
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. The 6335 is the one I have with the discoloration, pretty much black patches. I got this trumpet used. I also have a late 90's 4335 with Monel valves, and when I checked, there was one tiny spot that looked the same just on the first valve. I have owned this horn since it was new and basically used Yamaha valve oil the whole time.
Carly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Monel Valves : New Trumpet : Discolouration : Is this co Reply with quote

Carly wrote:
Hi there, we found that these Monel valves had black brown discolouration and black spots in the brass valve areas after a few months of purchase. Is this common or should we be concerned. It was in storage for a couple of weeks and we were alarmed when seen. This is on the first valve, the other valves are not as badly effected but there are dark black spots. Just joined the forum so will include image when known how to attach.

Update: The trumpet was returned from the technician, they had cleaned the discolouration with a polish but he lapped one of the valves mentioned had been sticking after use. Thought it would just need a clean. It was felt unacceptable on a new trumpet so is being rejected and refund given. It has been nearly two years of nightmare and not being able to play it, there is loss of confidence in Yamaha trumpets and a complete waste of time returning to playing with what thought would be an exceptional trumpet.
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Monel Valves : New Trumpet : Discolouration : Is this co Reply with quote

Carly wrote:
Carly wrote:

Update: The trumpet was returned from the technician, they had cleaned the discolouration with a polish but he lapped one of the valves mentioned had been sticking after use. Thought it would just need a clean. It was felt unacceptable on a new trumpet so is being rejected and refund given. It has been nearly two years of nightmare and not being able to play it, there is loss of confidence in Yamaha trumpets and a complete waste of time returning to playing with what thought would be an exceptional trumpet.

Monel is an alloy, and there are many different compositions of it. Was this a student model Yamaha made in China? Just curious.
https://yourbrass.com/
Carly

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Monel Valves : New Trumpet : Discolouration : Is this co Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:
Carly wrote:
Carly wrote:

Monel is an alloy, and there are many different compositions of it. Was this a student model Yamaha made in China? Just curious.

It is the intermediate YTR5335gsii was terrific and impressed when first purchased, slick valves, supposed to be the same valve case as the YTR6335 model. Think it is made in Japan.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen monel porosity problems in several Jupiters. Yamaha has flexed back and forth as to what they are building in China vs elsewhere. At one point, quite a few Yamaha models you would not expect were being made there in whole or in part - it appears they have now swung the pendulum the other way.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: