• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Herald trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piccolo_Mondo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Herald trumpets Reply with quote

Hi All,

First post...here goes...

I'm interested in Herald trumpets and have done the usual trawl around google looking at prices and youtube clips etc. but am keen to hear what those members that have experience with them have to say..

I play Bb and am getting on quite well with piccolo.

Cheers. Love the site.

M
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Scodwell USA Herald trumpets Reply with quote

I delivered the first silver plated Scodwell USA Herald Trumpet complete with case to Washington Music Center a while back. Photos of the trumpet are on their web site and for information and pricing call Lee Walkowich at (301) 946-8808. The quality is superb and you will be very surprised at the price.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Piccolo_Mondo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS,
I should add I mean the ones with valves
M
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a lot of December on a herald trumpet. To throw it out there, there's a learning curve for sure.

The bell is much farther from your face, so hearing yourself is a bit of a difficulty at times. This creates an issue of over-blowing, due to to not being able to hear pitch or volume that well. If you're playing the way you normally do, try to reassure yourself the sound is coming out at least mostly how you're intending.

Within that, over-blowing in the upper register will tend to cause the pitch to go flat, so compensating for that new issue becomes a task. The sense of pitch overall might feel a little low in general on the horn, since most of them are built in a way that causes them to come across that way, so be ready for that. Finding a mouthpiece that has a higher sense of pitch might alleviate some of this for you.

Overall, though, I never recommend buying one unless you need it, but Tony Scodwell's build intrigues me, since he actually knows how to make a horn people can play.
Ancientram

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Herald Trumpet Reply with quote

Several years ago, I played one at a church thing. My first and overall impression was that it was heavy at the bell end, and thus, not well balanced, weight-wise and uncomfortable to hold up. Other than hang a banner from the bell, it won't do anything your regular Bb won't do better.

Unless you will play a lot of renaissance fair or medieval dinner sorts of things, spend your money elsewhere.

HTH,
Steve
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a series of Christmas concerts at a local church a number of years ago. At the time the church was known for its knock-out-all-the-stops Christmas concerts that were very theatrical, featuring set pieces, fog machines, giant puppets, laser light shows, you name it.

The church hired three trumpet players for the services and used one congregation member. Every single one of us was primarily a big band lead player.

The last number of the production had the trumpets split, two on each side, on the towers of an enormous castle set, playing herald trumpets borrowed from a local high school. Yes, they are bell-heavy. No, you can't hear yourself very well. No, I can't imagine much use for one for most players.

But on the last note of the last song, the amplified instruments were absolutely deafening. It was a concert Eb chord, and it wasn't likely we were very audible. But dang, we were all playing high F's as loud as we could and it was big dumb fun.

And we still got paid.
THE BD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very limited use horn! I would definitely recommend being sure you have a planned use for it if you are buying one. I've used mine for a few church gigs, weddings, and other ceremonial events but it doesn't get regular use other than having fun with my lessons students occasionally.

It can be a bit of a beast to hold up and support with the bell that far away from you, and you have to really train yourself to listen to your sound differently since it so much farther to the bell.

Yeah, I did that!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
And we still got paid.

Great story.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you contact the guys who do it for a living? The United States Army Herald Trumpets, a unit of the U.S. Army Band at Ft. Meyer in Virginia.

https://www.usarmyband.com/herald-trumpets/the-us-army-herald-trumpets.html

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, most players barely tolerate most herald trumpets.

While not technically a herald, have you ever considered trying one of the piccolo trumpets with the extra-long bell? Looks herald-ish. I've heard several players who adore these models. Even saw Jens Lindemann in concert doing the Brandenberg on a similar one and it was incredible.

Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are certainly issues to heralds.

You have to focus on the reverberation in the venue to try and get a sense of what you sound like, and your perception of relative dynamics will be way off.

Then there is the issue of most being built out of mostly the maker's student line horn parts. There are a few good pro ones out there like the Kanstuls used by the aforementioned Army HT, some built to order Bachs, the 1933 Holton Revelation Aida I have, that play like a pro trumpet should. - But most have the intonation, flexibility, response and tonal weaknesses of the student lines they descend from.

The added weight of the banner plus the unusual balance to start with can really throw you off. The Holton Revelation Aida at just shy of 5 feet long is an amazing sounding and playing horn, but I am at an age now that I cannot play it without injury from the reach.

If not necessarily tied to a banner, there are several long bell Bbs out there in the more recent vintage market that are real pro horns and still give that visual impact. Here is one example:
https://www.austinwinds.com/product-page/courtois-paris-long-bell-bb-trumpet

Above all, you have to spend time practicing - preferably in the venue. Its a completely different playing experience and you can't practice on your normal Bb and just switch at the last minute.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
patdublc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago when the Pope visited Baltimore, Yamaha loaned out the heralds built for the 1984??? Olympics. It was very cool to play them and, at the time, each had its own unique performance history. I found them quite difficult to play, but I didn't have much experience with them at the time.
Today, I have a nice Olds herald that plays very well. I don't use it very often, but occasionally someone wants a herald trumpet player.
Piccolo_Mondo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou everyone!!

So much advice and helpful info...exactly what I was looking for.

Very much appreciated.

M
bworth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bach Model B185. It's a Herald, Stradivarius, 37 bell, ml bore, 1976. It plays and sounds good. I play it at church with different banners for Easter and Christmas, etc. It is a little different to play, but not that bad. People at church really like it when I use it.
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two Bach Stradivarius herald trumpets. The Elkhart is in Bb and the Mt. Vernon is in B natural. It was designed primarily for Aida but can be played in Bb with a Bb tuning slide and a short pull on the valve slides. I used them for fanfares and ceremonial gigs. Anyway, they take a little getting used to. Physically they are a little unwieldy and awkward. This goes away with practice. No tricks, just time spent handling them and playing them is what it takes. Playing wise I think they sound like good Bach trumpets. Just play them with a regular Bb mouthpiece. Stick to good brands when buying one. There’s a lot of junk out there. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: