• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

πŸ™„

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RussellDDixon wrote:

Link

Oh, that was fun! And colorful.
Makes me miss my tie-dye bell bottoms and balloon sleeve shirts.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that’s some serious chops! Also helps me to understand the reverb/echo stuff that 1980s players like Phil Driscoll were into, surely he was listening to Chase...
Legitbrass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many choices - hard to discern who/when after so many venues through the years. But, the seemingly loudest, most secure and probably most impressionable was Lynn - up close and personal. He couldn't have been much out of his teens and I was just entering mine. We were in Charlie Geyer's basement studio. Lynn was up before me and just doing range work. MF was big at the time and Lynn was the latest phenom in his band. I'd get to my lesson early to listen to all the things he could do (and I couldn't). Funny... I studied with Charlie from 7th grade through my first year of college; then some comeback sessions many years later, but never ventured into the kinda' stuff he had Lynn doing.

I was a guest of Ron Modell's (NIU) who knew Chase and took me to a concert to meet him. Afterwards, Bill had me place a hand on his horn while he played to DHC and beyond to demonstrate the extreme vibrations through the horn and tried to explain the extra bracing he had on it. I was blown away that he could still smoke that thing after a full night's performance. It was one of his final concerts (possibly the last) before the crash. I believe it was the same weekend, as they were headed to Minnesota after their gigs in northern Illinois (as I remember it). Long time ago now.

Vaughn Nark can hold his own.

Have heard Herseth play cold to DHC from a few feet away.

Life just isn't fair, I guess.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as lofty as DHC, but I was at a Maynard clinic in the 70's and for some reason Maynard tells the crowd that all of his trumpet section (Stan Mark, Dennis Noday, Ron Tooly, Joe Mosello) can play DHC, but that Dennis had by far the biggest high G. Then to demonstrate he had the trumpets build a triad starting on G above the staff, then B, then D. Now mind you none of these first 3 guys were playing quietly. Then Dennis came in with the high G and just buried the rest of the section. It was stupifying.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Loudest dubba C -- Who? Reply with quote

popTbop wrote:
I know this is very subjective, but only comment on people you've heard personally in a room, acoustically, without sound system, amplification, or the big reverb of an auditorium or performance hall. Hopefully, I hear from you high-note devotees who've followed these guys and heard them every chance you get.

I expect to hear Maynard, Waynard, Faddis, Arturo et al. So, if there's someone "louder", with big fat resonance in their double C that makes you cover your ears in relative pain (despite the thrilling pleasure), then let me know.

I for one have heard the Lynn Nicholson is such a guy. Of course, he wears shooter's ear muffs when he plays nowadays to protect his own hearing.

Thoughts?

Lynn owns his register. That's fer sure. And probably among the loudest too. No one needs a louder one anyway.

According to Dennis Noday a powerful player himself a cat named Jim Kartchner had the biggest Double C ever. Was on the Kenton band mid to late 1960s. Poor fella died young. Brain cancer I think.

However I've heard conflicting details about Jim. According to a Kenton alumni who has posted here once in a rare while Jim learned much while on the Kenton band. Some sources said that he played great while on the 3rd book aka "scream chair" but didn't have much depth once below the stratosphere. However the only recordings of Jim that I've ever found of him on the internet show the audience going wild with just his Jazz improvisation. So it's possible that during those years while he was on the band that Jim finally put it all together.

Just in case you need the names some of the other cats :who played the Kenton "Scream Chair" they were
Maynard
Bud Brisbois
Bill Chase
Frank Minear
Jim Kartchner,
Mike Vax (later still played 1st chair)

This is not a complete list.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
KennyC123
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maynard

On a side note: When I want to play with a big fat sound (and not by over-blowing) this is what I do. It may or may not work for you. I close my teeth together with them being even, i.e. cutting edge of top teeth sitting on cutting edge of bottom teeth. Then I press my lips together to make them roll in, in front of the teeth, and hide the red – this would be like what you do to preform the statics the way Roy Stevens talked about. Now, here is where everything changes. Hold your lips in this rolled in position, open up your teeth and let your jaw go where it naturally goes and then while holding this rolled in position slide your tongue through your lips and bring you mouthpiece up and set it over this, your tongue will be through the lips and into the mouthpiece. Next you are going to remove the tongue but maintain this opening between the lips that you just made with the tongue and the rolled in lips. Now just blow air through this and you should get a HUGE sound. Careful though cause if it works for you it will be so loud that you will need to wear some type of hearing protection or your ears will ring for an hour afterwards.

Stomvi Big Bell S3
Always remember that you are unique just like everyone else!
terrys17
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: loudest dhc Reply with quote

I heard Jerry Callet many times over the years beginning in the early 70's. He was a power house as a younger man. (40's I guess) I went to a new york brass conference event in one of the mid-town hotels. I think it was late 70's -early 80's. He was there selling mouthpieces and books, I don't think he had his line of trumpets at that point. The vendors were in an open ballroom and there were probable 60-70 guys in there blowing their brains out. The sound was deafening. Jerry picked up his horn and played a few scale patterns, etc from high c up to above dhc. When he was finished the room was so quiet you could have heard a pin drop. Everyone was looking over to see who was playing. That was one serious demonstration of raw power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: