• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

fall in love all over again

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: fall in love all over again Reply with quote

gunhild tore that hole in the ozone layer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG8Jgj09WcI
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's such a thing as reincarnation then Louis Armstrong and Marlene Dietrich combined to come back as Gunhild Carling.
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bout this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VaD1yFarm0
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5IHzEiQgSo

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTmk0Pqk6hs

and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGH9vzrixHA

Insane.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you suppose europeans get jazz?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

I think it's probably about the same in Europe as it is here, that is, there is only a very small audience who seek out, understand and appreciate jazz and consider it a vital, current, evolving and important art form. There is probably a somewhat larger group that enjoys jazz but doesn't follow jazz and a somewhat larger group that thinks that at least some types of jazz are OK. The overwhelming majority of the population probably doesn't care, thinks jazz is irrelevant, doesn't like jazz, etc.

It used to be that jazz musicians (especially black jazz musicians) were appreciated more in Europe than they were here but I doubt that is still the case although it may still be a perception.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
If there's such a thing as reincarnation then Louis Armstrong and Marlene Dietrich combined to come back as Gunhild Carling.

hermowiki

i do zen and believe in reincarnation and wonder whether trombone shorty is the reincarnation of louis armstrong. same race again, same city, very similar approach to playing. both huge talents. both prodigious blowers.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

More so than Americans do, I can tell you that much!
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic stuff from Gunhild Carling. She is amazing as always.

Tuba Skinny is great too. I like that trio of clarinets in this video, had not seen that before. My son is friends with them so I have gotten to hang out with some of them when they visited him. Great people and great fun.

I think Europeans tend to be more open to more kinds of music than we are. My son plays in a couple of New Orleans style jazz bands when he is there, got a trip to a major festival there too when playing old time Americana. When he is in the States, he does better with his country band. The scenes are pretty different.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

Chuck, I moved here after 20 years in Germany. In my experience, Europeans, at least those in Austria, Germany, the Netherlands and Scandinavia are much more eclectic in their taste than Americans. Jazz is one of many musics they like.

There are certainly exceptions, but generally Jazz is just one of many styles that they like and there are less artificial divisions between styles liked or not, than one finds here.

John Mohan has connections to Germany. Maybe he sees things differently than I.

On topic . . .
https://youtu.be/FzQBOBoPg04

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't the same subject but it's sort of the same subject. There's that opening to "Lush Life" that goes like this:

I used to visit all the very gay places
Those come-what-may places
Where one relaxes on the axis
Of the wheel of life
To get the feel of life
From jazz and cocktails

Jazz and cocktails and sophistication. What ever happened to it all?

The question reminds me of the lyrics from a song in the musical Chicago:

What ever happened to class?

People used to get dressed up to go places. Going to a jazz club was an occasion. Jazz was considered the most sophisticated music there was. Jazz wasn't merely listened to or observed, it was experienced.

The last remaining old style jazz club in New York City is (to me) Birdland. It's a place where you want to get dressed up and experience jazz. I suppose Dizzy's Club at Lincoln Center has a similar ambience.

In contrast, I recently went to the Blue Note. In terms of atmosphere and the whole ambience of the place the Blue Note doesn't come even close to Birdland.

In Omaha, about a one hour drive from me, there's a jazz club called The Jewell. It's absolutely astonishing. Plush and with an awesome stage. It's like no club I've ever been to.

Where are there other jazz clubs that scream "sophistication" like this?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to add one thing: The jazz can be amazing even if it's performed in a closet. My comments aren't about the quality of the music. The clips on this thread are amazing. My comments are about how jazz audiences have dwindled and how the whole sophistication of jazz is lost on such a large portion of the population.

The only live video of Clifford Brown was when he was on Soupy Sales' show called "Soupy's On!" Soupy Sales was a huge jazz fan and he had lots of jazz greats on his show (Miles Davis appeared 6 times). The show was broadcast from Detroit and Clifford happened to be in Detroit working at the Rouge Lounge when Soupy invited him to be on his show. It's an amazing video.

Back then (1956) there were 25 jazz clubs in Detroit. How many are there now? It's just so sad to see such a vital and valid creative art form suffer such apathy from the public at large.

It's a sign of the times. If you go to a fine restaurant that doesn't have a dress code you'll probably see some patrons wearing tank tops and shorts while others are wearing coats and ties. It may be the right of the patrons to show up in tank tops and shorts but something has been lost in terms of the sophistication and elegance of the moment.

The same holds true for jazz. It's still sophisticated and elegant for some but the numbers have decreased markedly from the heyday of the jazz clubs of the 1940's and 1950's.

Where does jazz still thrive in a sophisticated and elegant venue? It would be interesting to have a list.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to Gunhild...WOW, she has music running through her veins. She is DYN-O-MITE !
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I just want to add one thing: The jazz can be amazing even if it's performed in a closet. My comments aren't about the quality of the music. The clips on this thread are amazing. My comments are about how jazz audiences have dwindled and how the whole sophistication of jazz is lost on such a large portion of the population.

The only live video of Clifford Brown was when he was on Soupy Sales' show called "Soupy's On!" Soupy Sales was a huge jazz fan and he had lots of jazz greats on his show (Miles Davis appeared 6 times). The show was broadcast from Detroit and Clifford happened to be in Detroit working at the Rouge Lounge when Soupy invited him to be on his show. It's an amazing video.

Back then (1956) there were 25 jazz clubs in Detroit. How many are there now? It's just so sad to see such a vital and valid creative art form suffer such apathy from the public at large.

It's a sign of the times. If you go to a fine restaurant that doesn't have a dress code you'll probably see some patrons wearing tank tops and shorts while others are wearing coats and ties. It may be the right of the patrons to show up in tank tops and shorts but something has been lost in terms of the sophistication and elegance of the moment.

The same holds true for jazz. It's still sophisticated and elegant for some but the numbers have decreased markedly from the heyday of the jazz clubs of the 1940's and 1950's.

Where does jazz still thrive in a sophisticated and elegant venue? It would be interesting to have a list.

+1!
Its all too easy to go drown onself in the thougt that our generation was the one that carried the art of jazz. Went to a bigband jazz concert the other day and I was´nt the oldest (77..)Sigh.
On the other hand I can tell that at least my part of Sweden is almost infested with bigbands......majority of players still oldies but surprisingly many are much younger (30-50).
When I was one of the two guys who started a swingband (3tp 4 sxs 2tb etc)late sixties in my university town we were rather unique; there was one hibernating band (from the 40ties)in my region. Up north, the Radio Band (Harry Arnold - I remember listening to the AFN broadcasts with Willis Conover who presented this band as the Mystery band) and a few more.
Back to Gunhild - her father led a very popular dixieland band during the sixities beginning eventies, I´ve danced to them. The whole family is extremely talented. Gunhild is music embodied. I´ve listened to her playing a simple recorder, swinging tremendously!
Regarding the "declining" dress codes - oh yeah! People go to funerals in jeans.......Sigh (2)
Maybe we are the last aficionados??
The famous statement "aprés nous le deluge" (after us the deluge)may prove to be decorous - in the light of the climate breakdown....
Sigh (3).
Better go listen to Sing Sing Sing....Louis Dowdswell isn´t that bad....although I miss Gene Krupa. And Harry.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

People used to get dressed up to go places.

I think "we" are at fault. "We" being the people raised in the 50's and 60's -- the 60's killed all of the formality, basically, because it represented the un-hip. It took a while for it to die completely, but it is pretty much gone now, not just in jazz clubs. People wear jeans to Carnegie Hall, the Lincoln Center, Kennedy Center, etc. The only place I see it holding on a bit is opera performances.
Who feels compelled to wear a coat and tie to church any more?
Some of it is good (lawyers in jeans?), but as you say something is lost.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there's a fault that anyone has to be guilty of. That presupposes that audience's musical tastes are tied in with how they dress. New times, new styles.

One of the best attended concerts I attended in Germany, and I mean it was so packed people were even sitting in the isles, was when they officially suspended all protocol, like what clothes to wear or where to sit. And this was a crowd there to listen to symphonic music.

Likewise, I never attended a jazz performance in Germany where there was any dress protocol at all.

In Hawai'i while I was growing up, one could attend any kind of concert just wearing jeans and an Aloha shirt. No problem and no effect on the music.

So, I personally don't have a nostalgia for dressing to the nines and the quality of the music was never compromised because of dress.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

the quality of the music was never compromised because of dress.

Agree with this part of your statement. Quality of music depends on other factors. However, I do miss a little formality now and again, just like I miss good manners, decorum in speech, etc.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young blood like geoff gallante wouldn't come along if jazz was in any trouble. 19th century souls reenact gettysburg every year and crazy swedes are similarly trapped in the jazz age.
those with any tendency toward ennui or depression run to youtube and watch idun (ee-dun) carling do vocals and trombone with her clan.
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
young blood like geoff gallante wouldn't come along if jazz was in any trouble. 19th century souls reenact gettysburg every year and crazy swedes are similarly trapped in the jazz age.
those with any tendency toward ennui or depression run to youtube and watch idun (ee-dun) carling do vocals and trombone with her clan.

The experimental music scene in NYC and elsewhere is ample evidence that jazz is evolving and indeed thriving:
http://www.thestonenyc.com/
http://www.downtownmusicgallery.com

Check out trumpeters like Steven Bernstein, Kirk Knuffke and Jonathan Finlayson.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

multiphonic wrote:
chuck in ny wrote:

The experimental music scene in NYC and elsewhere is ample evidence that jazz is evolving and indeed thriving:
http://www.thestonenyc.com/
http://www.downtownmusicgallery.com

Check out trumpeters like Steven Bernstein, Kirk Knuffke and Jonathan Finlayson.

watched knuffke briefly. wherever the band was going with their idea, they had lush sound. good to hear they can sell seats for their venues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: