• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Playing a flugelhorn like a trumpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:47 pm    Post subject: Playing a flugelhorn like a trumpet Reply with quote

I’ve been having trouble for years getting a sexy, dark jazz sound on my trumpet. I have a naturally bright sound and have never been able to get comfortable on larger mouthpieces. I’ve tried all of the trumpet mouthpieces with flugelhorn cups out there and found them to be unsatisfying.

I also don’t want to just give up and just play flugelhorn even though I love playing it. When I play flugelhorn I want it to sound like a flugel and when I play trumpet I want it to sound like a trumpet—until recently.

I’ve got some semi-shallow flugelhorn mouthpieces that I’ve always stuffed in the back of my mouthpiece drawer—thought they were less than worthless. But, on a whim, I dragged them out and started blowing on them.

They sounded bright and trumpety just as I expected, but this time I embraced the trumpetiyness. I started putting lots of air through the horn and not finnesing like I usually do when I play flugel.

I have a Yamaha 731, which you may know isn’t a small-horn patterned on the Fench flugels, but a large bore especially designed for guys who want a blow closer in feel to a trumpet.

The whole experiment has been pleasing. It doesn’t exactly sound like a trumpet, but close enough to give me the feeling I was looking for and giving me another option. I think it may be particularly useful in big-band soloing when I’d normally feel that I should be playing trumpet because of the volume.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft is dark. Loud is bright. Trying to play dark and loud is a losing battle.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comment, but I’m not sure I completely agree.

You can play tiny, shallow mouthpiece as soft as you can on trumpet, but it’s still going to sound very bright. When I play my flugelhorn with a shallowish mouthpiece as I described it absolutely sounds much darker than when I play my trumpet.
trumpet_cop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
When I play my flugelhorn with a shallowish mouthpiece as I described it absolutely sounds much darker than when I play my trumpet.

..... That's the point of the instrument itself.... Even with a shallower flugel designed piece.

To get the fluffier, more colorful sound on trumpet you need to back off some of the MP pressure and actually let your chops vibrate. Even with lead pieces this can be done, comparatively speaking.

Kalijah is correct. Dark + loud = dead sound.
Good Ol' Boy ID#3624360
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet_cop wrote:
markp wrote:
When I play my flugelhorn with a shallowish mouthpiece as I described it absolutely sounds much darker than when I play my trumpet.

..... That's the point of the instrument itself.... Even with a shallower flugel designed piece.

To get the fluffier, more colorful sound on trumpet you need to back off some of the MP pressure and actually let your chops vibrate. Even with lead pieces this can be done, comparatively speaking.

I'm not talking about replacing the typical, fluffy sound of a flugel. I have deeper mouthpieces and take a different approach when I want it to sound that way.

I'm talking about a different voice to use at particular times and in certain situations. I agree that overblowing will not produce a nice sound, but putting a little more air through the horn really doesn't sound bad and it cuts more like a trumpet.
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
trumpet_cop wrote:
markp wrote:

I'm not talking about replacing the typical, fluffy sound of a flugel. I have deeper mouthpieces and take a different approach when I want it to sound that way.

I'm talking about a different voice to use at particular times and in certain situations. I agree that overblowing will not produce a nice sound, but putting a little more air through the horn really doesn't sound bad and it cuts more like a trumpet.

Mark ,

do yourself a favor, get a curry TC or TF mouthpiece, you'll be much more flugel like. You can also get a flugelhorn piece and use a trumpet adapter.
all three will work to varying degrees. The TC (A little flugel), the TF ( a little more flugel), the Flugel and adapter ( alot more flugel)

good luck,

tom
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Playing a flugelhorn like a trumpet Reply with quote

I play ALOT of flugel and also use a VERY small diameter piece. Whether if be a trumpet, cornet or flugelhorn the sound that comes out the bell has ALOT to do with what's happening in that space between your ears!

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Playing a flugelhorn like a trumpet Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
I play ALOT of flugel and also use a VERY small diameter piece. Whether if be a trumpet, cornet or flugelhorn the sound that comes out the bell has ALOT to do with what's happening in that space between your ears!

Butch

could not agree more with this, i play Curry 00 Id's, that's about as small as it gets without going to specialized stuff, but i can sound like a trombone on a curry TF or a flugel mouthpiece with an trumpet adapter.

you have to relax everything into the flugel sound if your on a trumpet or flugel for that matter. lip tension isn't really helping when trying to achieve a flugel sound, but some (minimum) lip tension is required to maintain any lip setting so you have to find that balance.

good luck,

tom
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Playing a flugelhorn like a trumpet Reply with quote

krell1960

I agree with you 100%. I used to play the Curry "00" size also. I have the entire series...trumpet/cornet/flugelhorn. I actually went smaller and had Terry Warburton make me a set of pieces all based off the "Odneal" rim and inner diameter and I'm VERY happy with them.

Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: