• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

fall in love all over again

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Thriving" may be a bit strong for what is actually happening. Here's a link to a study on record consumption in the United States by music genre in 2018:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/310746/share-music-album-sales-us-genre/

Compare that to the days when jazz really thrived (1940's, 1950's).

I'm actually surprised that jazz is as high on the study list as it is. It actually surpasses classical music in record consumption. Still, jazz today has an extremely tiny audience of enthusiasts, followers and advocates.

We have a great ensemble here in the form of the Nebraska Jazz Orchestra (NJO). It's currently in its 45th anniversary season. Bobby Shew was the first guest artist this season. Hailey Niswanger and Dave Stryker are coming up soon.

When I go to the performances and look around it seems that more than half the audience is older than I am (I just turned 70). It reminds me of that line from the movie "The Producers" where Max Bialystock explains all the little old ladies who come to see him: "Hundreds of little old ladies stopping off at Max Bialystock's office to grab a last thrill on the way to the cemetery!"

The NJO averages maybe a couple hundred people in the audience at each performance. After 45 years of promotion. As the current crop of patrons die off who is going to replace them? It's a very difficult and pervasive question.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hermowiki

i wasn't aware that people get that old. actually i will be turning 70 next month.
the jazz age burns in my gut. americans will always go with the crowd and follow whatever goes at the moment. it doesn't have to be taken seriously. there is apparently a market in europe and japan and that will have to be good enough.
something has bothered me about the carling band and i think to have put my finger on it. when people self medicate they seek substances that address their needs, as with all the white people in pain and despair and opioid use. it's not much of a life but the pain stops. where this is going is why get this shocking crew out of sweden of all places. sweden is like vermont, too darn cold for too darn long, drinking to relieve the boredom, getting to spring and your problems are still with you, and attendant malaise or suicide. all downers. jazz is an upper and the stimulant they need. gunhild isn't getting the blues anytime soon.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
hermowiki

i wasn't aware that people get that old. actually i will be turning 70 next month.
the jazz age burns in my gut. americans will always go with the crowd and follow whatever goes at the moment. it doesn't have to be taken seriously. there is apparently a market in europe and japan and that will have to be good enough.
something has bothered me about the carling band and i think to have put my finger on it. when people self medicate they seek substances that address their needs, as with all the white people in pain and despair and opioid use. it's not much of a life but the pain stops. where this is going is why get this shocking crew out of sweden of all places. sweden is like vermont, too darn cold for too darn long, drinking to relieve the boredom, getting to spring and your problems are still with you, and attendant malaise or suicide. all downers. jazz is an upper and the stimulant they need. gunhild isn't getting the blues anytime soon.

Gunhild, and her musical genre - she also has a big band, is loved by a rather limited number of people - the majority of Swedes fancy other types of music, mostly, if you could say so, mainstream pop. Music that means nothing to me, and all the guys/girls being part of the big band movement.
The audiences that these big bands attract are mostly elderly people - grey hair is seen on a lot of scalps.....
But as I wrote - you can find younger people in the bands too.
Drinking isn´t that commonplace as it used to be - but many youngsters seem to feel queasy - a lot of unrest in segregated big city areas. Sweden occupies place 60 when it comes to suicide in the world (the US 51).
And so on - but Gunhild is a rather unique and rare phenomenon!
Sure makes me happy and my feet want to dance.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sweden occupies place 60 when it comes to suicide in the world (the US 51)." That hit me, too. Why single out Sweden?

And ref drugs and drinking - America doesn't have a problem? Give me a break. Young people getting crazy drunk is with us.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
"Sweden occupies place 60 when it comes to suicide in the world (the US 51)." That hit me, too. Why single out Sweden?

And ref drugs and drinking - America doesn't have a problem? Give me a break. Young people getting crazy drunk is with us.

Oh - not sure I get this - I responded on chuck in Ny:s gloomy picture of Sweden..........
But let´s cast aside the downside of everything, as I wrote "it´s all to...etc"
Gunhild is music, music of a kind that makes me happy. I remember when the Basieband visited us couple of years ago - up on the bandstand comes Gunhild, I can see that the guys in the band look somewhat reluctant, and then she begins to play.................a good time was had by all!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denmark not Sweden, but . . . Along those lines, I went to hear Kenny Drew with NHOP and some drummer I don't remember at Copenhagen's Montmarte. The club was dark and gloomy and partially populated. Drug deals in the rest room. Passive crowd.

I walked up the street to see Papa Bue Viking Band playing Dixieland in the Vingaarten and the crowd was younger, lively and the club was packed. Lots of energy

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Denmark not Sweden, but . . . Along those lines, I went to hear Kenny Drew with NHOP and some drummer I don't remember at Copenhagen's Montmarte. The club was dark and gloomy and partially populated. Drug deals in the rest room. Passive crowd.

I walked up the street to see Papa Bue Viking Band playing Dixieland in the Vingaarten and the crowd was younger, lively and the club was packed. Lots of energy

Yes - the Danish are (or were) very fond of Dixieland music. Some years ago my wife celebrated her birthday so we took a long walk to a restaurant in the city of Helsingborg. And at the square there was this powerful dixíe/N O/band playing along. Very uplifting. During many years the trumpet man in Papa Bues also played in the symphonic orchestra of Copenhagen; by the way, the Danish Radio still has a big band. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFIxpy3BdCQ ).
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, killer band. I've dug them since the 60s when Ray Pitts worked with them.

BTW, I don't know how effective a musical director Miho Hazama is, but she's a hell of a musician. Very creative. We both did some schooling at the Yamaha School in Tokyo, but at different times (unfortunately).

Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: