• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Don't buy from Dmcgee414

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmccarthy53

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Don't buy from Dmcgee414 Reply with quote

Hi all

Just wanted to warn against buying anything from Drew McGee, or 'Will' as he identified himself in emails. I sent a deposit for a Yamaha 9830 piccolo trumpet after several days of communication. He then stopped responding to emails. I searched his previous posts on TH, and this is not the first time he has ripped someone off. He is located in Columbia, SC, and has a website.

Please spread the word, and if you're on social media it wouldn't hurt to share esp on the buy/ sell trumpets page. Just don't want anyone else to get scammed.

Let me know if you have recommendations other than calling PayPal to try to get my money back.

Tim McCarthy
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when you say that you made a "deposit" did you mean you paid using Paypal?
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it wasn't family and friends. I finally got burned by that big time a couple years ago, and now I always send extra for the fee and don't insist on people doing it.

Paypal DID finally agree to get the money refunded, but it was a huge hassle. Good luck, Tim!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this. Not sure about all the details. I always require a phone call or some other reasonable communication before the sale. And I always walk away if they ask for "friends and family". I've bought/sold about 20 hours in the last 10 years. But I've walked away from dozens more, because the other person would not agree to these terms.

Could the seller be distracted by other issues? Can anyone vouch for the seller? The seller has a phone number listed in his registry entry. Have you tried calling?

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AJCarter wrote:
Hope it wasn't family and friends. I finally got burned by that big time a couple years ago, and now I always send extra for the fee and don't insist on people doing it.

Paypal DID finally agree to get the money refunded, but it was a huge hassle. Good luck, Tim!

I have been asked on numerous occasions by a seller to use Family and Friends. I have always declined. First of all, it is against Paypal's policy. Secondly, if the seller insists, then that sends up a red flag and as far as I am concerned, the deal is off. As far as covering the additional expense when not using Family and Fiends, I guess it all depends how much you want the item. As far as I am concerned, if in the item description it is not specified that the price is based on the use and Family and Friends, and how often does that actually happen, unless you are really a friend or family member of the seller, you are under no obligation to cheat Paypal and save the seller a few bucks.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
]unless you are really a friend or family member of the seller, you are under no obligation to cheat Paypal and save the seller a few bucks.

Even if you are a friend or family member of a seller, the PayPal user agreement specifically prohibits using it to pay for merchandise, or even asking a buyer to use it. Anyone who asks a buyer to use F&F to pay for merchandise is violating their user agreement with PayPal, and asking the buyer to participate in their dishonesty. Even asking should be a red flag for any buyer.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
Sorry to hear about this. Not sure about all the details. I always require a phone call or some other reasonable communication before the sale. And I always walk away if they ask for "friends and family". I've bought/sold about 20 hours in the last 10 years. But I've walked away from dozens more, because the other person would not agree to these terms.

Could the seller be distracted by other issues? Can anyone vouch for the seller? The seller has a phone number listed in his registry entry. Have you tried calling?

Mike

This seller has been discussed in other threads.

In one it was stated he said "He told me that he is working to fix the negative reputation that he has on trumpet herald. He told me that he was indeed partially responsible for the bad reputation, but he is not a "crook".. he just messed up".

So even if one believes what he said, it appears he is still "messing up".

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=147120
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information LittleRusty.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Aspeyrer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful when reporting scammers. I reported a scammer that is actually still selling two trumpets in the marketplace currently. My account of 10 years was banned because I reported him. I had email and text evidence to prove he was committing fraud. However, I think he had some sort of relationship with an admin. Be careful!
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
AJCarter wrote:

I have been asked on numerous occasions by a seller to use Family and Friends. I have always declined. First of all, it is against Paypal's policy. Secondly, if the seller insists, then that sends up a red flag and as far as I am concerned, the deal is off. As far as covering the additional expense when not using Family and Fiends, I guess it all depends how much you want the item. As far as I am concerned, if in the item description it is not specified that the price is based on the use and Family and Friends, and how often does that actually happen, unless you are really a friend or family member of the seller, you are under no obligation to cheat Paypal and save the seller a few bucks.

Thanks for the lecture. I don't do it. I've sold things since then and have noticed they have done it on their own, but I haven't asked for it. It has become the culture here and unless the mods start killing the marketplace because of that I don't think it will change.

Always pay the fee, or don't be cheap and just buy something new if you want one that badly (if applicable).
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mods have nothing to do with the Marketplace.

There are several other threads about this seller.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: