• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

maintaining chop in quarantine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercow216

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:59 am    Post subject: maintaining chop in quarantine Reply with quote

Ahh, Coronavirus, such trendy topic nowadays, has made it way to the forum!

I am now expected to be spend 1 or 2 weeks in a hospital in quarantine, while they perform some tests. No positive so far but it is mandatory for all new arrivals to the country.
Obviously, playing trumpet or mouthpiece buzzing is a no no as I don't want to spraying ppl with my saliva.

Do you have tips to maintain the chop during this time? Is lip clamp healthy if I don't touch the trumpet at all?

Meanwhile, I plan to stay sane by doing ear training, watching videos and write something of the experience

I am still learning!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, good luck with your quarantine.

Could you go in an enclosed room to buzz your mouthpiece a bit, just a little to keep your chops set? 10-15 minutes a day would be enough.

If not, I seriously think there is nothing better for your trumpet playing than singing. So if you can't buzz your mouthpiece, why not sing?

Good luck and stay healthy!
Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi supercow 216, you could try Warburton's P.E.T.E.,it helps working the embouchure muscles.It's not the same as playing the horn,but it could shorten the time it takes to get your lip back.Don't worry too much,there won't be any rehearsals or gigs for months,plenty of time to get your lip back in shape.
We are living in scary times.

Good luck,
Al
supercow216

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Wow, good luck with your quarantine.

Could you go in an enclosed room to buzz your mouthpiece a bit, just a little to keep your chops set? 10-15 minutes a day would be enough.

If not, I seriously think there is nothing better for your trumpet playing than singing. So if you can't buzz your mouthpiece, why not sing?

Good luck and stay healthy!

I am in a room of 5 (yike!!) so making big sound is slightly weird (performance pressure )

I can sneak into some empty room and buzz a bit. Thanks!!!

I am still learning!
supercow216

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
Hi supercow 216, you could try Warburton's P.E.T.E.,it helps working the embouchure muscles.It's not the same as playing the horn,but it could shorten the time it takes to get your lip back.Don't worry too much,there won't be any rehearsals or gigs for months,plenty of time to get your lip back in shape.
We are living in scary times.

Good luck,
Al

Wow, an excellent idea!

Unfortunately, I left my PETE in France. I thought in this "holiday" at my parents place, I would spend most time practicing instead.

I am still learning!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never mind a brief hiatus. When you return just plan on a reset, starting slow and put it back together. It never takes me too long to get it all back.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Turkle! Trumpet players spend too much time worrying about maintaining "chops" but its very advisable to sing! It trains your musicality better, uses breathing that is similar to playing, and is good for the soul. I wouldn't worry about taking a week or 2 off for the "chops" unless I had a couple of very intense gigs upon coming back, with no time to get back into playing ahead of them.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I never mind a brief hiatus. When you return just plan on a reset, starting slow and put it back together. It never takes me too long to get it all back.

Agreed.

Brad
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:

+1 Agree much here! Planning your practice before ramping back in is key to making a seamless return. Warm-up and Warm-down have always been very important ingredients after necessary layoffs from my experience.
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the March ITG Journal there is an interview of Harry Kim who, at one time, played with Harry James' band. Harry was notorious for laying off for weeks, picking up the horn and playing his butt off. HK asked HJ about this and Harry said that the key was to maintain coordination: breath, tongue and fingers. When he was off, he would be sitting by the pool playing exercises and tunes doing just that sans horn and mouthpiece.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/202003_Contents%20(1).pdf
supercow216

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
In the March ITG Journal there is an interview of Harry Kim who, at one time, played with Harry James' band. Harry was notorious for laying off for weeks, picking up the horn and playing his butt off. HK asked HJ about this and Harry said that the key was to maintain coordination: breath, tongue and fingers. When he was off, he would be sitting by the pool playing exercises and tunes doing just that sans horn and mouthpiece.

file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Packages/Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe/TempState/Downloads/202003_Contents%20(1).pdf

this is also a great idea. We stay pretty much in bed all the time with little permission to go walk around. Kinda like sitting on the computer focused for the whole day, then go home and find the air-stream sucks.

I would now also opt for a hiatus for the lips

I am still learning!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

supercow216 wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

this is also a great idea. We stay pretty much in bed all the time with little permission to go walk around. Kinda like sitting on the computer focused for the whole day, then go home and find the air-stream sucks.

Depending on your age a lip clamp à la BE might come in handy. "Mean old man" look - also a way of expressing your innermost feelings regarding this situation!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
supercow216

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymor B Fudd wrote:
supercow216 wrote:
Ed Kennedy wrote:

Depending on your age a lip clamp à la BE might come in handy. "Mean old man" look - also a way of expressing your innermost feelings regarding this situation!

hahaa, it is pretty mentally tiring to grumpy for so many days. Everyone else frowns instead as their life force is sucked out in this dullness.

I occasionally do lip clamp under my mask, and buzz in the shower but not for long.

I test negative first time, so it's pretty positive!

I am still learning!
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening! Find a new favorite player. Come back with a sound in your head and new motivation.

I second the advice to sing. Does wonders for trumpet playing!
supercow216

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freedom!!!!!!
I got two negative today.
I told the doctor that I and my wife would have a flight on the next day, given the overcrowded hospital, the doctors were kind enough to discharge us.

And it's free (if you test positive, you may be charged) !!! I'm sincerely thankful to the authorities

Now we are back at our parents' home. Our flight was cancelled

I hope this thread is helpful for everyone preparing for their quarantine
Now I will bring out the trumpet again. My wife is visible upset though.

I am still learning!
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: maintaining chop in quarantine Reply with quote

supercow216 wrote:
Do you have tips to maintain the chop during this time? Is lip clamp healthy if I don't touch the trumpet at all?

I do lip isometrics all the time, based on very close analysis of the actual configuration of what my chops do when playing - which also involves forming the teeth opening/jaw to the same basic position. I'll also do them with the tip of my index finger and thumb substituting for the mp. Seems to help a lot.

I don't think you're going to forget how to play in the span of a couple of weeks or even months.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: