• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

now´s the time to go back to basics!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:55 am    Post subject: now´s the time to go back to basics! Reply with quote

All gigs cancelled, all rehearsals cancelled I find myself having ample time to review my playing. Apart from the BE I´ve dug up an old favourite of mine:
How Brass players do it by John Ridgeon ( https://www.trevadamusic.co.uk/music/brass/tutor/ridgeon-how-brass-players-do-it ).
Used it a lot during the late seventies, together with Charles Colin´s books.
Young and rather successful as a amateur I thought I used these books in a proper way. So many years later, finally subjecting myself to teachers it has dawned upon me that I should go back to basics. I´ve been very very helped by the BE method, still is, but as I nowadays have so much time to finally indulge in music I´ve kind of realized there is much room for improvement of the basics. John Ridgeons book not only provides a clear outline of the physical aspects of playing but also a wealth of practice material. I can wholeheartedly recommend this book.Which I bought 1977...
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to basics indeed. With no gigs or rehearsals for the forseeable future, I've broken out the etude books.

Nothing like an hour or two with "Top Tones" to remind me of everything I've been slacking on!

Seriously, since 95% of what I play is improv with a combo, it's very easy for me to get sloppy reading stuff off the page and playing in a precise, legit style. Working on etudes gets everything dialed in in a hurry. I should really do this stuff more often, but there are only so many hours in a day!
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve gone back to the basics as well. No rehearsals or performances – probably at least until May – and hernia surgery last week. I’m doing a lot of pedal tone exercises, flexibility studies and technical studies. Max use of the metronome, and to really keep me on my toes I am mainly practicing from books I don’t get to as often as I’d like: Verzari, Belck, Kunze, Tomba, Thibaud….
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore - good point about our earlier years. I realize now that, in the exuberance of youth, I often just plowed right into the exercises without paying much attention to the text.

Sometimes it doesn't matter much, but frequently there are little gems of wisdom a careful reading of the text will enhance the effectiveness of the exercise.

Not only the obvious, but in many exercises there are principals incorporated into them that aren't obvious and that you don't read about, but will discover upon introspection.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Seymore - good point about our earlier years. I realize now that, in the exuberance of youth, I often just plowed right into the exercises without paying much attention to the text.

Sometimes it doesn't matter much, but frequently there are little gems of wisdom a careful reading of the text will enhance the effectiveness of the exercise.

Not only the obvious, but in many exercises there are principals incorporated into them that aren't obvious and that you don't read about, but will discover upon introspection.

I think have to edit this......so here I go:
Introspection is the thing!
Back in the day I just rushed through these excercices, mostly to assure myself I´ve been a good boy.....Young lips and diligence took me a long way - but the lack of foundation hit me 5 years ago - since then reconstructing, no, rebuilding my chops. I used the practice regimens that seemed to help - always noticing how to shape my chops, using the tongue, haa hee etc. Then I found the TH, the BE, began to discover the different variables - taking lessons. Mostly these lessons have pinpointed my faulty breathing technique (been aware, but young, huge "vital capacity" / diver´s licence/ compensated).
What I do now is practicing by introspection - noticing in detail how the movement of my tongue helps form the shape of the embouchure, syncronizing the movements with adequate flow of air. Not rocket science but so important. Playing an interval say G in the staff up to G top of staff - not sounding any other tone than the final G - not that uncomplicated.
This is of course obvious and basic but easier said than done.
So - in a way the Covid19 has helped me rethink!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: