• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bob Reeves Dynamic Mass

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Bob Reeves Dynamic Mass Reply with quote

There are a few threads on these, but not too much info, so I figured I would start a new one.

Long story short, I've played the Reeves pieces forever. I recently switched from a 42 rim to a 43 and decided to give the dynamic mass a try as I had one in a 40 rim years ago that I remember liking a lot. For one, the shorter length is much more comfortable. I also find the blow a little more open with larger note targets. Plus, I think they look super classy with the script writing and extra cut on the shank. I emailed Reeves to see if they could let me in on any of the science but I haven't heard back yet. If anyone can provide some insight, or if someone else plays them and just wants to tell me what they like, I'd love to hear! Thanks!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a Reeves Dynamic Mass mouthpiece for the past 20 years or so. For 25 years prior to that I played a Reeves regular series mouthpiece.

As I recall, I switched to the Dynamic Mass mostly because I was significantly changing the cup depth I used and I suppose I was attracted by the hype about the Dynamic Mass series and the "quick thread" feature of the screw rim (it unscrews with far fewer turns than the "standard thread" rim).

In retrospect I think the hype was hype although I've had a good experience with the Dynamic Mass mouthpieces (I have a 43M and a 43D). One thing that apparently changed over the years is that the "quick thread" screw rim isn't necessarily the standard rim anymore. I think you have to specify that now.

The biggest problem I've had with Reeves is that the prices have gone up A LOT over the years and although the mouthpieces are discounted from various sources online (although the selection is small) they are full price when ordered direct from Reeves (where the selection includes everything).

I remember the days when a Bach mouthpiece was $5.00. Who ever thought that any mouthpiece would become over half as much money as pro horns cost back in the 1960's? My Burbank Benge 3X cost $410 new in 1966. A Reeves mouthpiece purchased direct from Reeves is now $220.
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Hermokiwi, I've seen your name on some of the Reeves posts. I also have the 43D. I did notice that the rim seems to be the same as the standard pieces now. I agree on the price. Even at Bach prices it can be very expensive to experiment and find the right piece! I've pretty much committed to playing this piece for the time being. I'm not much of a mouthpiece switcher. I always seem to do best with one piece only. So you think the Dynamic Mass thing is a little bit hype? Maybe I just like the way it looks lol. I do have to say though, the shorter length is much much more comfortable. I still remember my first Reeves piece 15 years ago. A 42C692. I loved the sound, hated adjusting to the slight change in arm position. The Dynamic Mass does feel more open to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick8801 wrote:
Hey Hermokiwi, I've seen your name on some of the Reeves posts. I also have the 43D. I did notice that the rim seems to be the same as the standard pieces now. I agree on the price. Even at Bach prices it can be very expensive to experiment and find the right piece! I've pretty much committed to playing this piece for the time being. I'm not much of a mouthpiece switcher. I always seem to do best with one piece only. So you think the Dynamic Mass thing is a little bit hype? Maybe I just like the way it looks lol. I do have to say though, the shorter length is much much more comfortable. I still remember my first Reeves piece 15 years ago. A 42C692. I loved the sound, hated adjusting to the slight change in arm position. The Dynamic Mass does feel more open to me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I started my Dynamic Mass safari with the 43M. Previously I played a 43S in the regular series and wanted to get away from shallow pieces and get a bigger and more resonant sound. The 43M provided that so I went to the 43D and it goes even farther in terms of big and resonant. So, I'm very happy with the sound I get from my 43D.
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D cup is pretty special. I used to play a C but wanted something a little easier for "commercial" gigs. Tried the S and the M, but found I lost too much depth in the sound, plus I just like the feel of a deeper cup. Went back to my old 3B for a while which is awesome for solo stuff, but really makes life difficult on amplified gigs. Before a tour several years back I grabbed the 40D Dynamic Mass to test it out. Ended up working out great for the kind of music I was playing but it was way too narrow for everyday playing. Then I was on a 3C for a while but missed the Reeves sound. Tried out the D cup on a whim and found it gave me all of the stuff I liked about my older pieces with the benefit of easier response while maintaining a nice depth of sound. I've always liked the feel of V'ish cups, and they fit my approach really well. My very first mouthpiece when I started taking trumpet seriously was an old Giardinelli 7sv. I think the D is the hidden gem of the Reeves lineup, as most people play the C, M, or S.
mdavis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another unique feature of the dynamic mass is the throat size. I believe all of them have a 28 throat but the length of the mouthpiece varies depending on the cup depth. The deeper the cup the shorter the mouthpiece and longer mouthpiece for shallower cups.

The D cup is a hidden gem. It provides a really nice sound while having the flexibility for more commercial work. A few of us in LA have been using them for awhile with great success.
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavis wrote:
Another unique feature of the dynamic mass is the throat size. I believe all of them have a 28 throat but the length of the mouthpiece varies depending on the cup depth. The deeper the cup the shorter the mouthpiece and longer mouthpiece for shallower cups.

The D cup is a hidden gem. It provides a really nice sound while having the flexibility for more commercial work. A few of us in LA have been using them for awhile with great success.

Very cool....This piece is particularly short. I don't remember the 40D being this short, but it was a long time ago. It's definitely shorter than a standard Bach length, but I enjoy being closer to the horn!
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavis wrote:

No the Reeves DMMouthpieces have the stock throats like the standard piece's, the D cup has #26.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
mdavis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spoke with John Snell at Reeves and he verified my statement. All DMM mouthpieces come with a 28 bore (throat).
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavis wrote:

My 43D has a deeper cup than my 43M but the two mouthpieces are the same length. They are, however, about 1/4 inch shorter than a Bach mouthpiece.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavis wrote:
I just spoke with John Snell at Reeves and he verified my statement. All DMM mouthpieces come with a 28 bore (throat).

This is something new for me , i own a 43S DMM with #28 bore and use to own a 43M DMM that it was more open in blow than 43S and I am sure that the bore was #27 but if you asked John and he says that I don't have any reason to disagree, maby that's they said that if you change from conventional Reeves piece yo DMM you probably need to go to something deeper becose the tighter throat it supports the high registers .
Thanks for the info.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
nick8801
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff so far everyone. Thank you for chiming in. For those of you that are playing the DMM, why did you switch from the standard pieces?
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a DMM for years. I think it was a P6 but I can't remember. I remember really liking it but had a hard time with targets. That could have been my playing or how the mouthpiece fit me. Either way, I really liked the sound vs. standard Reeves pieces. Unfortunately, this thread has got me considering the safari again...
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick8801 wrote:
I'm not much of a mouthpiece switcher. I always seem to do best with one piece only. So you think the Dynamic Mass thing is a little bit hype? Maybe I just like the way it looks lol. I do have to say though, the shorter length is much much more comfortable. I still remember my first Reeves piece 15 years ago. A 42C692. I loved the sound...

I've never played a DMM or saw the need for a safari, but like you, I'm not much of a mouthpiece switcher.

My first Reeves was a now "out of print" Reeves 1S695 in 1970-71. I played this piece until it got badly damaged in the late 80s. When I tried to replace it, I found out that the 1S designation no longer existed and was recommended by the Reeves consultant that the replacement was a 41S695 which I played exclusively from the late 80s forward. I started playing a 41C692 regularly around 2014 and eventually tried a few other Reeves cup/backbore/throat combos depending on the need, but always staying with the 41 Rim.

Pricey? My view is that if something works better for YOU than anything else, pay the asking price and remain thankful that the choice even exists!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: