• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Big band lead playing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

If you're asking what to practice to solidify your playing in the lead trumpet tessitura, here's what I've always found useful when not playing regular gigs:

To work on style and comfort playing in that range, look for jazz studies written for sax players. Lennie Niehaus has some jazz etudes and jazz duets that work well. There are also a couple of old books by Hal McKusick (Melrose Music Corp) That work well. Additionally, practice tunes transposed up a 5th.

I always felt an important aspect was the mental reaction when seeing those high notes written. You need to be used to seeing them and just playing them in the same relaxed manner you play everything else. "Winding up" to belt out those high notes will only make life much more difficult. Things to practice for regular exposure to this range might be Melodious and Progressive Studies for Flute (Robert Cavally), 18 Etudes for the Clarinet (Paul Jeanjean), or other flute and oboe books.

An additional benefit of playing books written for other instruments, trumpet music looks easy afterward.

Alan
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Big band lead playing Reply with quote

BBB1976 wrote:
Hi folks

What do you guys practice for big band lead playing, in preparation for it?

Best

I´ve found it very rewarding to have the score in front of me, then trying to play along with your CD, Spotify etc.
Vin di Bona summarizes it well: " range, style, sound, chops, and above all, rhythm".
Range&chops - basic ingredients enough supply of air, enough stamina (intervals, lip flexibilities, Frink&Belknap, Pop´s range building, the BE method (phenomenal cost / benefit ratio). But watch out for overuse!
I´ve come to the conclusion that to do some justice to the mission (amateur as I am, and 77) - I need at least 2 hours a day.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: