• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Decent USB mic and camera combo?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:31 pm    Post subject: Decent USB mic and camera combo? Reply with quote

There's another recent thread here about needing a USB mic, but I didn't want to hijack it.

My Windows PC has no camera as well as no mic. If I wanted something decent for Skype and Zoom, etc. what do you recommend? Maybe under $200 but I'm flexible.

Thank you
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do better with separate mic and camera, just because you can position the mic better, but my camera does pretty well on its own. I have the Logitech c930e but I think any of the newer ones with the same body shape would be good. That's the C920, C922x. Very happy with the picture quality and stereo audio is better than most webcams.

Logitech has some newer ones that are probably good as well, but I have not tried them.

Edit: I got mine on eBay, used, and paid less than $100. Just saw on amazon that these are sold out, with third-party sellers trying to get $300 each. Supply and demand I guess. You might check if Best Buy or similar is open near you (I'm writing from a hotel in western NY right now and basically everything is closed statewide). Walmart might have one.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I found a Logitech webcam at NewEgg that is in stock (unusual!) and ordered that.
Tboyette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: A great online private teaching setup Reply with quote

I just recently upgraded my online teaching setup to a 1080p camera from Razor (found at Best Buy), and an audio technica AT2020 USB. Both just plug into my laptop or ipad (via adapter) and the sound and picture are excellent.

With the AT2020 I can easily adjust mic input volume as well as monitor through the mic with headphones. Playing with one headphone in makes it a bit more palatable.

Thank you,
Travis
theRiddler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same thought a few years ago on my Mac. I bought a Zoom Q2N HD camera that has same mic set up as the H2N audio recorder. I found out you can connect the camera or audio, but not both functions at the same time. Go cheap on the cam, spend more of the mic, IMO.

Maybe there’s some other company that makes a product that does this by now. Anyone else got any feedback?
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had this same thought a few years ago on my Mac. I bought a Zoom Q2N HD camera that has same mic set up as the H2N audio recorder. I found out you can connect the camera or audio, but not both functions at the same time. Go cheap on the cam, spend more of the mic, IMO.

Maybe there’s some other company that makes a product that does this by now. Anyone else got any feedback?

I have a Zoom Q4N, and was having the same issue. Zoom offers Webcam Drivers to fix this so that it can function as both a microphone and camera. The Zoom Q2N Driver is at the bottom of this page: https://zoom-na.com/zoom-q2n-handy-video-recorder

For the OP, if you want to spend a little over your budget you can get a high-quality audio/video recording device that will also function as a webcam, possibly worth the investment.
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~~ Already mentioned by another poster ~~

Last edited by Denny Schreffler on Mon May 04, 2020 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this thread lives on, I thought I might make a few more comments.

When I first decided to add a webcam to my PC, I thought I would just buy something at Staples or Best Buy. It turns out I was a few weeks too late, as every teacher and child in North America was already using their entire stock to do remote learning. Then I tried NewEgg (as mentioned above) and they cancelled my order (as had Staples) with no notice that there was no stock of the item I ordered.

I finally did buy a nice unit by Avaya, model HC020, and a 10" flexible tripod. I'm all set.

The comments above about a Zoom video camera apply as well. I have ordered from Sweetwater a Zoom Q2N-4K Handy Video Recorder with XY Microphone. This is supposed to be able to be connected to a PC for use as a webcam. We will see. Of course, its main value is for portable video recording, and that could be handy for music purposes if we continue being quarantined. Even if not, I'll have a nice recorder.

Once again, thank you for your comments on this topic. Very helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: