• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Protective Double Cases

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Protective Double Cases Reply with quote

Hi all,

I recently picked up a C trumpet. My current case only fits a single horn, so I'm looking for a double option to fit both a C and a Bb. Any recommendations for a solidly built, protective case would be appreciated.

The case will basically only be carted between my locker and rehearsals, so light weight isn't a big priority - in fact, a case that would work well as a overhead carry-on bag would be great.

A music and mute pouch would be nice, but definitely not required. For budget, I would prefer to spend $300 or less, but if a specific case is really worth the extra money I should be able to stretch a little more.

So far I've been looking at:

ACB has a Marcus Bonna double for $360. It's a bit more than I'd like to spend but I've heard good things about the MB cases.

Reunion Blues Continental Voyager triple - good price and plenty of space. I'm on the edge regarding how protective it is, though.

ACB custom 2.5 (https://www.austincustombrass.biz/completely-custom-modular-2-5-trumpet-case-with-wheels/) - looks pretty protective, though a little bulky. Maybe a good option for flying.

Gard Elite Compact Double - nice balance between protectiveness, size, and price.

Right now my top choices are the Gard and the ACB custom, but thoughts/recommendations for any double case would be appreciated.
Sarcastic Musician

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For most protective look for a Wiseman. But good luck finding one in your price range.

For most protective in your range try a torpedo coyote with the snip lid.I hauled one around the western pacific for almost 4 years and didn't get a scratch on my horns.

MB cases are less protective, but a lot less heavy. Try to find a used triple or compact triple. I like the full triple because you have plenty of room for mutes/stands/etc (or another trumpet), and you can fit a full sized music folder in the lid pouch without bending it.

I've heard great things about GARD, and I'm sure ACB makes a good product too.
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy the Reunion Blues. It has nothing to do with the REALLY good quality Reunion Blues cases of the past. If you want a GOOd RB case/bag, go with the Glenn Cronkhite line. Best bags I've seen or used. My oldest one- still in use- was made in 1980!

That ACB case looks really good if you absolutely want a hard case. A bit disappointing that it doesn't seem to have any carrying/backpack straps, though...
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several Reunion Blues bags from the Glenn Cronkhite days and I agree the current ones do not compare. Protec cases are relatively inexpensive and offer descent protection for the money. Marcus Bonna make great cases but are really expensive. I have had really good luck with the Gard cases I have. They are beautifully made, offer great protection, and can be bought at a very good price point. I have not used ACB cases but I know Trent Austin, and if he says they are good, they are good.

When I have a two trumpet gig or rehearsal, I usually use the Yamaha hardshell two trumpet case and a mute bag. When I fly, I always use the Yamaha case, even with only one trumpet. It is compact, offers great protection, and can be purchased used at a very reasonable price.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:

When I have a two trumpet gig or rehearsal, I usually use the Yamaha hardshell two trumpet case and a mute bag. When I fly, I always use the Yamaha case, even with only one trumpet. It is compact, offers great protection, and can be purchased used at a very reasonable price.

Same here! I got a barely used Yamaha Xeno double 5 years ago on Ebay for about $110 with free shipping. It is my travel case and always my Bb/C trumpet rehearsal and performance case and still looks and functions like it did 1st day!. It's solid, locks, and fits in the overhead in all but the smallest commercial planes.

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
KevinInGeorgia
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my MB quad cases.. I own a Leather one and a Synthetic one.. For around town I have a Gard Double with wheels ( Flugel/Trumpet combo) but for flying I've always used my MB Cases...

“Heroes turn into martyrs on this instrument.” ~ William Vacchiano
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info - I'll pass on the RB case, between comments on its durability and its semi-softshell it sounds like there are better options.

I looked around on Ebay and Reverb for a double Yamaha case. Unfortunately the all the decent looking ones were rather expensive - the mid $200 was a common price. Still not unreasonable, but is a used Yamaha worth the premium over a new Guard?

It is a little disappointing that the ACB case doesn't offer much in the way of straps or extra carrying capacity (mainly mutes and music). I'm still rather interested in it just for the protection, but I'm concerned that I might find it overly cumbersome for daily use. It's also priced close to the very well liked MB double.

KevinInGeorgia - do you feel that the MB cases are more protective than the Guard double? The Guard double is $200, $100+ dollars less than most everything else. If the Guard offers good protection, then it would be my top pick.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently own several multiple horn cases that meet your need.
* Yamaha double wood
* Gard compact triple leather
* ProTec nylon
* B&S wood
*Eastman fiberglass

The Eastman offers the best protection, in my opinion, while the ProTec is the most flexible in terms of use.
The Yamaha is sleekest/smallest (footprint.)
The Gard looks the nicest and offer room for mutes and a horn stand. And is more affordable than all but the ProTec.

I use the ProTec the most, but it probably is not as protective as the wood or fiberglass cases. The B&S is heaviest, but not readily available.

Hope that helps!
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Starry - thanks for the info. How would you rate the Guard vs the something like the Eastman or the Yamaha? The Guard offers good storage and is at a nice pricepoint, so if it's protective enough it would be my top pick.

I emailed ACB regarding case options - they recommended checking out Schagerl's double case as an all-around option and the JP Double as an alternative to the MB. Does anyone have experience with either case? I can't seem to find much info online.

Edit: it seems like the Schagerl double offers a hardshell, while the Guard is more of a beefed-up softshell. At $240, I'm currently leaning towards the Schagerl, unless there is some drawback I'm overlooking.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gard I have is less protective than either the Yamaha or Eastman doubles. The horns fit more snugly in the Eastman than in the Yamaha, if that is of concern to you, but the wood is not as protective as the fiberglass, IMO.
I end up carrying a separate mute and accessories bag and just use the case for horns only.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Starry wrote:
The Gard I have is less protective than either the Yamaha or Eastman doubles. The horns fit more snugly in the Eastman than in the Yamaha, if that is of concern to you, but the wood is not as protective as the fiberglass, IMO.
I end up carrying a separate mute and accessories bag and just use the case for horns only.

Great, thanks for the clarification. It sounds like the Schagerl should work well in that regard, as it offers a relatively similar design to the Eastman and Yamaha and is also made from fiberglass. In addition, it's pretty well priced and easily available.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would think twice before buying that case at that price point, as both the YAmaha and Eastman doubles can be bought much cheaper second-hand. If you do not need the backpack feature/option, it is actually a drawback to me. (Bulk.) want to keep the case as sleek as possible while offering protection. $200 is too much for any of these 3 cases in my opinion.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_Starry wrote:
I personally would think twice before buying that case at that price point, as both the YAmaha and Eastman doubles can be bought much cheaper second-hand. If you do not need the backpack feature/option, it is actually a drawback to me. (Bulk.) want to keep the case as sleek as possible while offering protection. $200 is too much for any of these 3 cases in my opinion.

Is there a good spot to look that I'm missing? On both Reverb and Ebay I can't find a Yamaha double or Eastman double for any less than the mid 200s. I have a Schagerl single case - the backpack straps fold in very snugly behind a cloth panel when not in use. At least for me, they have never been much of a bother.

I also noticed that Dillion music has a Basili double for $250 - from what I've heard Basilis are more or less cheaper versions of the MB cases. Maybe that might be a better bet for the cost?
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own four Yamaha double cases, all bought used for less than $125.00, at least two were purchases for less than $100.00. They were, and still are, in excellent condition. They pop up on Ebay and here in the Marketplace from time to time.

It has been suggested in previous posts that the fiberglass cases are more protective than the wood hard shell cases like the Yamaha. I was wondering how much more protection one needs that that offered by a wood hard shell case. What kind of potential trauma would make a fiberglass case more protective than a hard shell wooden one?
tptva004

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in here - I own a JP double case that I bought last year at the HR Trummpet Hang. It's a solid case with very nice backpack straps. I wouldn't want to own a case without straps personally. I take a music stand, mute bag, and horns to rehearsal and gigs. Those backpack straps are very handy.

Several people in town own Gard bags and love them. I too can't find a Yamaha used double case for under $200 on ebay or reverb... hopefully B_Starry will share the source for them at that price!
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptva004 - I'm also amazed by the price of these used Yamaha cases. Why a used case costs just as much as a brand new Schagerl double case makes no sense to me.

At this point I'm basically down the Basili and the Schagerl double. Prices are comparable between the two, though the mouthpiece setup on the Schagerl seems to be slightly cleaner than the Basili. From what I understand, the Basili is more or less a copy of the MB cases, and is also made in Brazil. Based on that, I'm slightly leaning toward the Basili.
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:52 pm    Post subject: Yamaha double Reply with quote

These cases come up rather frequently for all different prices. I paid $100.00 for mine and it’s great. The original Schilke double was as small as a single case but they keep on getting larger.

LCM
wayben

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just searched eBay for Yamaha Double Trumpet Cases that were sold. There were several since Jan 1 that went for under $150. None listed that went for over $150. Just because sellers list them for $295 doesn't mean that's what they sell for. You will have to watch diligently to catch one, because they won't last long, but they are there on occasion.
Wayne
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older Bach, Yamaha, Schilke, etc. hard-shell double cases are all pretty good. No backpack straps or room for other items, though. My Bach C trumpet came in a double case and it’s sturdy and protective.
Phoenix864
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep an eye out for used cases - so far I don't see anything fantastic online. I do need the case sooner than later, so waiting 1 week+ for something to turn up online isn't a great option.

Dilion Music recommended against the Basili, as they found it to be not all that good for the money (basically a less padded version of the MB bags). They recomended either saving some cash and going with a ProTec, or going all the way and getting an MB.

I guess I'm experiencing some analysis paralysis, but I've narrowed it down more or less to:

1) Schagerl - looks to be fairly protective, but relatively unknown ($250).
2) ProTec - inexpensive, decent protection, but questionable durability ($160).
3) MB - good quality and protective, but high price ($350).

Another major factor is shipping - ACB sounds to be cutting way back on shipping most orders, and they are the only place I know that has the Schagerl case. Dilion Music is still shipping and offers both MB and ProTec cases.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: