• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

These guys are pretty good.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: These guys are pretty good. Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v569FjBMy8
R. Tomasek
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew what this was going to be before I even clicked the link. I've been watching a lot of their videos recently. They are awesome!

I'm thinking about adding a Ganschhorn to my collection. Has anyone played one? If so, what are your impressions?

Same question for the Killer Queen flugelhorn.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they have commercial potential!
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw them in Charlotte a year or two ago. Fabulous!
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Mnozil in Las Vegas Reply with quote

Unfortunately Mnozil Brass concert scheduled for Las Vegas March 28th has been cancelled. No rescheduling as of yet.

Tony Scodwell

www.scodwellusa.com
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the absolute best. I was lucky enough to see that tour live. And no matter what you think of them on YouTube, they are 1000 times better live.

I'm still crying that they had to cancel the local concert scheduled for later this month.

Do yourself a favor and buy a CD. Ragazzi, What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life, and Yes, Yes, Yes! are all favorites. The DVDs are killer too. I own the one called "Seven".
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
I knew what this was going to be before I even clicked the link. I've been watching a lot of their videos recently. They are awesome!

I'm thinking about adding a Ganschhorn to my collection. Has anyone played one? If so, what are your impressions?

Trent Austin carries them. Be aware, I'm pretty sure there's a medium AND large bore versions of the horn....

keith
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:

Trent Austin carries them. Be aware, I'm pretty sure there's a medium AND large bore versions of the horn....

keith

Never heard of that. There are different weights, valve block, bell, that’s it as far as I know. (And more specific: I don't know any large bore rotary trumpet).
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

keith

Yes, I have an appointment to meet with Trent in Kansas City to try them out on April 17. On the Schagerl specification list the "Heavy" version of the Ganschhorn is described as having an "ML Heavy" valve section and the "Light" version is described as having an "ML" valve section. So they appear to be the same bore size although the "Heavy" version has a heavier valve section than the "Light" version (like my Adams F2 flugelhorn has a heavier valve section than the Adams F1 model). There is no specific data shown on the Schagerl specification list regarding an exact measurement of the ML bore size.

The Killer Queen flugelhorn valve section is described on the specification list as "10,60/vertical." Does anyone know what "10/60" means?

I'll review these horns here after I play them. The one thing that is already obvious, however, is that they are rotary valve horns and are very unusual/extremely cool designs. One of my pet expressions describes them: Show up at a gig with one of these and you'll get more attention than Bozo driving the Wienermobile.

Personally, I like playing something different/unique like this. For me that's part of the fun of playing trumpet. My Conn 40B, Conn 48B, "Dizzy" King Silver Flair and Adams A8 all get a lot of attention. Of course, they are totally different horns but I get along fine with any of them.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

I played one briefly at a band camp. It was unique and fun to play. But the particular one I played was so different sounding that I couldn't see using it for any of my playing situations. Now if I sounded like Thomas Gansch on it I'd buy three.
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who may not know, Thomas plays a Bach 3B. Obviously, it's a megatone.
R. Tomasek
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoyed the video. Great entertainment. I was once told that need to understand the dance to ply. No worry about that with these guys!
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

I played one briefly at a band camp. It was unique and fun to play. But the particular one I played was so different sounding that I couldn't see using it for any of my playing situations. Now if I sounded like Thomas Gansch on it I'd buy three.

Did you find it to be different sounding from the player's end (which I would expect since the bell position/angle is different from a conventional horn - my "Dizzy" King Silver Flair sounds a lot different from the player's end - I do realize that the "Dizzy" horn angle/position is more extreme than the Ganschhorn but the principle is the same) or did you find it different from the listener's end or did you find it different from both ends? If you found it different from the listener's end can you describe what you found the difference to be?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Did you find it to be different sounding from the player's end (which I would expect since the bell position/angle is different from a conventional horn - my "Dizzy" King Silver Flair sounds a lot different from the player's end - I do realize that the "Dizzy" horn angle/position is more extreme than the Ganschhorn but the principle is the same) or did you find it different from the listener's end or did you find it different from both ends? If you found it different from the listener's end can you describe what you found the difference to be?

I confess that my impression was entirely from the player's perspective. Perhaps I would adjust to it in time.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="HERMOKIWI"
The Killer Queen flugelhorn valve section is described on the specification list as "10,60/vertical." Does anyone know what "10/60" means?
[/quote]

= 10.60 mm bore = 0.421 in inches

I fact that's quite a small bore. Almost all German/Austrian rotaries have a 11.00 or 11.20 bore both trumpets and flügels.

This horn is now custom made for me and will be finished in april:

https://www.facebook.com/MartinusGeelenNaturalTrumpets/videos/1463826247082755/

It has an 11.00 mm bore and a German made valve block. It looks a bit like a Ganschhorn but is in fact different because it's a less radical design, it is still a crossover but more in the direction of a regular rotary trumpet. It has an unique system of screw-in leadpipes with five different leadpipes.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
[quote="HERMOKIWI"

= 10.60 mm bore = 0.421 in inches

I fact that's quite a small bore. Almost all German/Autrian rotaries have a 11.00 or 11.20 bore both trumpets and flügels.

This horn is now custom made for me and will be finished in april:

https://www.facebook.com/MartinusGeelenNaturalTrumpets/videos/1463826247082755/[/quote]

The bore of the Adams F2 I have is listed at 10.5 mm on the Adams website. So, 10.6 isn't much different for the Killer Queen flugelhorn compared to what I already have.

Why are you having your new horn made by Martinus Geelen instead of by Schagerl? What advantages did you see by having Martinus Geelen build the horn. In the video their horn looks very similar to the Schagerl Ganschhorn.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant that 10.60 is quite small for a rotary flügel, small bore perinet flügels are often 0.410 or 0.415.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

Why are you having your new horn made by Martinus Geelen instead of by Schagerl? What advantages did you see by having Martinus Geelen build the horn. In the video their horn looks very similar to the Schagerl Ganschhorn.

First: much cheaper
Second: it is build close to my house (15 km) and I have a choice in a lot of things
Third: it IS a different horn, much more allround I presume (and hope)
Fourth: it is built differently, another form: twisted. The valve cluster is special made for this trumpet.
Fifth: it's top quality and every part is handmade and can be adjusted.

Martinus Geelen is from origin a builder of natural trumpets and is a name in that world.
BTW some of the wellknown German trumpetbuilders make horns like the Ganschhorn. Google the Keller horn and so on.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Mark Geelen Twister trumpet:

https://www.facebook.com/MartinusGeelenNaturalTrumpets/photos/pcb.2509497925833101/2509487482500812/?type=3&theater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: