• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Piccolo trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
twinsrock02

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:28 pm    Post subject: Piccolo trumpet Reply with quote

Hi! So I am in the process of learning piccolo trumpet. I understand the concept of the fingerings and how it is an octave higher and there are different lead pipes.

Does anyone have good beginners music that would help me out the pitches onto paper? Out of everything related to piccolo trumpet, this is the hardest thing for me to understand. Thank you!
nzhangtrpt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Burt with Schagerl has some good content on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrIrK85ypws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmfO_kXlFI

In the video Jack recommended the Gekker piccolo method and the Webster piccolo method books. I have both method books and found the Gekker is very beginner-oriented which is composed of scales and arpeggios mostly.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: piccolo trumpet Reply with quote

Hello all,
I would recommend the Hickman book.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice here is often on two or three tracks (beginners, amateur players, and pros). I am an amateur comeback player and recently bought a Jupiter piccolo (Schilke clone). I also have a valve trombone, so with both it took me a while to adjust to the change in pitch.

If you're a pro, skip all of this and go to Hickman's. For those of us just beginning on it, I found it really helpful to practice scales, to get used to playing a D with 1 and 3 or 4, an D with 1 and 2, etc. For me, scales were my friend. I also tried practicing hymns and other simple music.

A few other things:
-I am normally a player who can hit high C, and I did found piccolo had me slotting up to E, BUT I am still quacking some of the time, and I realized I am using a lot more pressure than I realized.
-For those of us who are weak on transposing, we also have the dilemma that A is easier to play but Bb is more familiar.
-I ended up putting it away for a while while I work on reducing pressure and mouthpiece work and will probably wait until I can find a good teacher to return to piccolo.

I am grateful to have it. I recently watched an Eric Miyashiro video where he talked about how playing piccolo helped him improve his efficiency and range. I think it does help to develop skills that are broadly useful and that you may be able to ignore on Bb.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: piccolo trumpet Reply with quote

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,
I would recommend the Hickman book.

Here is a link to his piccolo methods.
robcs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got my piccolo, I got myself used to it by playing tunes that I knew well by ear and liked so that playing them would be fun. In my case that meant starting with the queen of the night’s aria.

Using alternate fingerings and the 4th valve wasn’t that much of a challenge - I took the approach of always using the alternates deliberately until I’d got them firmly in my mind, then I was able to back off and start choosing them.

The biggest challenge for me is still controlling how much air I’m putting through it, though switching mouthpieces to a stomvi piccolo piece helped enormously - presumably because the backbore is a better match (I bought my picc second hand without a mouthpiece, so initially I used my sop cornet mouthpiece, thinking it would be a good substitute).

If you’re using the Jupiter 1700, try it with a GR. I tried one in our local music store and it was like they were made for each other. I made a note of the exact mouthpiece but i need to find where I put it - I’ll edit this reply when I’ve got the details

I’d also agree with the observation that it helps with the upper range when you get back on a ‘normal’ trumpet needs other aspects of technique that are easy to ignore in the normal course of learning and practising.
Flgh: Jupiter 846RL
WX5 just because
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorites when I started was Telemann's Heroic Marches. Here is the download link:

https://imslp.org/wiki/Special:ImagefromIndex/513223/hfzq

These don't go too high so are good initial pieces to start on.
DJtpt31
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twinsrock02 wrote:

Does anyone have good beginners music that would help me out the pitches onto paper?

Are you referring to transposition? I think one of the best things to do first is to become familiar with the horn-- playing scales, as many have stated. This would help with understanding the blow of the instrument. Someone on TH made a suggestions, in a different piccolo thread, to also practice on one of the beginner books (essential elements, standard of excellence, sound innovation) don't remember which but I took that information and have applied it into my piccolo practice.

After gaining a level of comfortability perhaps begin working through transposition. I'm sure others can assist here. My experience is limited to playing picc. in A and transposing parts written in D.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been criticised for giving this advice before, but I will give it again because it works for me:

To practice piccolo trumpet I use beginners trumpet books where the tunes are all in the staff or below it and play straight from it. Obviously it sounds an octave higher. I have always found that this helps me develop techniques, gets me out of playing in D major all the time and gives me enough face time on piccolo to maintain the techniques.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you play music written for you, as opposed to published music, you will encounter music written in different registers. Some music will be written where you would play it on a regular Bb trumpet, but it will sound an octave higher (if you have the Bb leadpipe etc.). Other music may be written up an octave, so it sounds in the correct register when you play it. You should get used to working with either.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I started on picc the only thing my teacher suggested was to work on one Clarke Technical study each day. Not that we worked on it much, but he never assigned me anything specific for the picc.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Piccolo_Mondo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...thanks scottfsmith for that link. I'm a beginner on Picc too (welcome twinsrock02) and they are perfect for where I'm at right now. A great little find...look forward to working on them.
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the Telemann Heroic Music. Not terribly high and you can mix and match the various tunes into your own little concerto.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: