• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

“Out of Nowhere” vs “Star Trek Theme” contrafact

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:53 pm    Post subject: “Out of Nowhere” vs “Star Trek Theme” contrafact Reply with quote

Covid -19. I promise to practice more, but there is also more screen time. I have neveR watched Star Trek: The New Generation, so I started it. S01E11 is “The Big Good-Bye,” an homage to film noir, especially Dashiell Hammett.

The song "Out of Nowhere", by Edward Heyman and Johnny Green, can be heard playing as Picard enters the holodeck for the first time as well as at the end of the holodeck scene.

The Star Trek Theme Song is a contrafact of "Out of Nowhere." In jazz, a contrafact is a musical composition consisting of a new melody overlaid on a familiar harmonic structure, that is when the backup combo plays the chords to "Out of Nowhere," the soloist can play the Star Trek theme.

I always slip in a little Star Trek when we play “Out of Nowhere.”

Link

1963 Connstellation
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and check out the Tad Dameron tune Casbah with Fats Navarro on YouTube. It’s another contrafact that has the same bongos and female voice as Star Trek.

Coincidence?
conn53victor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
Yes, and check out the Tad Dameron tune Casbah with Fats Navarro on YouTube. It’s another contrafact that has the same bongos and female voice as Star Trek.

Coincidence?

Thanks!

Link

1963 Connstellation
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious. I never knew the connection between the two tunes! And I play Out of Nowhere quite frequently with my quartet. Expect many more Start Trek quotes incoming...
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I told some local players about this at a jam and they were really surprised. Everybody started running the changes to check it out. Too cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: