• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Loss of range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
H_Zavala

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Loss of range Reply with quote

So I haven't picked up my instrument in 2 days which isn't a super long pause or anything and I'm always super adamant about making sure that I rest as much as I play, but for some reason, I lost my range above the G just above the staff. I used to be able to play D without giving it much thought and now I just lost all that range. I tried giving myself a break and so I just played a bunch of long tones and didn't try to strain my chops but now it's been 3 days of doing that and there's still no improvement in my range. Does anyone have suggestions?
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play flugelhorn for 30 minutes. Be sure you're using a flugelhorn mouthpiece.
Then switch back to trumpet using your trumpet mouthpiece.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried to play very quietly? I think that is one of the best tests of whether your embouchure is focused and one of the best ways to get it back in focus if it is not.

You said that you've tried "long tones," but that can mean a lot of things. So, to be specific, you might try the Cichowicz long tone studies, played very softly -- just slightly louder than it takes for you to produce a sound -- at the indicated tempi. You could do the same thing with Clarke's technical studies 1 or 2. Keep the range to a very comfortable level for you and rest briefly between lines. Do that for about 10 minutes and see if it makes a difference.

Separately, I have seasonal allergies. My lips sometimes swell as a result, and it does have a negative impact, though not to the extent you are experiencing.

Good luck!
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few things I'd try:

- cut down the long tones for now. Play some etudes and tunes. Just try to get so that you can play these, wherever they take you range-wise, in a compentent, comfortable manner.

- have you cleaned your horn lately? mouthpiece?

keith
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something similar happened to me recently. I have been playing only about 6 months. My range took a surprising dive. I believe I figured out the problem. Initially I did a lot of scale practice with slurring and not tonguing. But after reading The tongue as a factor in cornet playing here, I started tonguing everything. I believe at least for me, tonguing reduces the lip strength needed to hit a certain note. I reverted to mostly slurring, and now my range is better than ever. I suspect tonguing everything let my lip strength decline.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Loss of range Reply with quote

H_Zavala wrote:
So I haven't picked up my instrument in 2 days which isn't a super long pause or anything and I'm always super adamant about making sure that I rest as much as I play, but for some reason, I lost my range above the G just above the staff. I used to be able to play D without giving it much thought and now I just lost all that range.

It's because you're doing something fundamentally different. It isn't because of a particular exercise or your rest/play ratio, it's because you're doing something differently.

Going by a verbal description of what you're doing or think you're doing is useless. Put up video of yourself playing. For myself I'm not going to write another word unless you do.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
harryjamesworstnightmare
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have become accustomed to playing on tired chops so now that you've rested the extra strength you have is cutting off the airflow. And btw, I hate giving advice without actually hearing you play but this is a common issue we all have from time to time. So the earlier comments about playing on a flugel or playing softly are on the right track. You should get things back to normal, and then some, if you can just relax a bit and use less air, not more. Let us know how it works.
Bach Strad 43 Sterling Silver Plus
Getzen Proteus
Yamaha 6335HS
Olds Super
Olds Mendez
Getzen Custom 3850 Cornet
Conn 80A
Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Loss of range Reply with quote

H_Zavala wrote:
... but for some reason, I lost my range above the G just above the staff. I used to be able to play D without giving it much thought and now I just lost all that range. .

-------
What happens when you attempt to play above the G?
? Lips cannot produce the needed tension ?
? Air gets blown through lips, but no sound ?
? Air cannot be blown through lips ? Not enough air pressure? Too much lip compression? Tight throat? Too much mouthpiece pressure?

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When something like that happens sometimes it's useful to ignore it and focus on judiciously playing all the other parts of your daily routine. If it's a good routine it will probably restore you to your former range in time.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: