• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chinatown, the movie

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:29 pm    Post subject: Chinatown, the movie Reply with quote

I know it has probably been asked and answered on the TH before, but I had the opportunity to watch the movie Chinatown again this weekend and once again that trumpet solo work just amazed me. Thanks for the help ahead of time.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uan Rasey was the man.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was Uan Rasey. I thought for years that it was Jack Sheldon (who did play the theme to 'The Sandpiper' - The Shadow of Your Smile). Only one of the greatest movies ever made! Chinatown, that is....

keith
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some may recall..in mid 80s a few lesser theaters would feature reruns of hit films, playing to marginal audiences, with $1.50 admission on slow nights. This one was built in 40's that had a balcony, stage, high ceilings, art deco decor. Probably 4 - 6 people in the audience, but when opening credits rolled with Rasey, it was spectacular.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe somebody knows which one, but I can’t remember which one of the Bob Reeves podcasts includes discussion about Uan and this session... If I remember correctly, he was on vacation for a couple of weeks prior to this session and had not played. He came back relatively cold and did that stellar work on Chinatown. Amazing.
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Terence Blanchard did a version of this on one of his albums, don't know which one....

keith
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uan Rasey was 1st trumpet at MGM for over 30 years. Dig this from An American in Paris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlvzGT1Ta2w
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Uan Rasey was 1st trumpet at MGM for over 30 years. Dig this from An American in Paris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlvzGT1Ta2w

A great player and music by George Gershwin for that player to play is as perfect a combination as there is in music.

I remember that when I was 16 years old and my father bought me a new Burbank Benge 3X one of the local pros wanted to try it out. The first thing he played was the solo from An American in Paris. We were standing on his driveway. I'll never forget it.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: chinatown, the movie Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for their wonderful comments. Yep, today we can see all the special effects we want. They can blow up worlds, wreck 300 cars. incinerate people and use the "f" bomb 200 times in a move, but they don't make any movies like "An American in Paris" today. Once in a blue moon you get a "Chinatown." Thanks again, everyone.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Uan play on the soundtrack for West Side Story? The lead part on the dance scene is amazing. Somewhere I have a booklet from a brass conference that contains a great interview with Uan. In addition to being such a great player he was such a humble individual.
ALaschiver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Chinatown Reply with quote

Played on his King.."Golden Flare"
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:
Maybe somebody knows which one, but I can’t remember which one of the Bob Reeves podcasts includes discussion about Uan and this session... If I remember correctly, he was on vacation for a couple of weeks prior to this session and had not played. He came back relatively cold and did that stellar work on Chinatown. Amazing.

The story is true. I studied with Uan for about 5 years starting not long after Chinatown came out. I asked him about Chinatown. I don't remember how long he was out of town, but he returned to discover that he had a multi-day movie call with Jerry Goldsmith. He assumed that it was with a full studio orchestra and he would just jump into the third or fourth trumpet chair. He had no idea until he entered the sound stage that the music was for string orchestra and only one trumpet. A truly iconic performance.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:

Yes, this is correct. He was planning on passing the 1st part only to discover that solo had been written particularly for him.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthew Anklan wrote:
If I remember correctly, he was on vacation for a couple of weeks prior to this session and had not played. He came back relatively cold and did that stellar work on Chinatown. Amazing.

I had a friend who was a first-call L.A. musician who was doing a recording with Conti Condoli. He said Conti came in at the last possible moment and nailed a solo, packed up and left for another date.

When I showed amazement, and this is the point, he said, "Guys like that stay warmed up".

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Matthew Anklan wrote:
If I remember correctly, he was on vacation for a couple of weeks prior to this session and had not played. He came back relatively cold and did that stellar work on Chinatown. Amazing.

I had a friend who was a first-call L.A. musician who was doing a recording with Conti Condoli. He said Conti came in at the last possible moment and nailed a solo, packed up and left for another date.

When I showed amazement, and this is the point, he said, "Guys like that stay warmed up".

I remember reading somewhere that Maynard said that when he had the Birdland Dream Band he was living out of town (I think in Millbrook, NY). Anyway, he had at least an hour drive into town every night for the gig and he'd warm up with his mouthpiece in the car on the way. He said people were always amazed cause he'd walk into the club, say a few hellos, get out his horn, hit the stage and start blowing.....everybody thought he did it totally cold! Ha ha ha.....

keith
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that Harry James never warm up or did any practice as a pro?
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to find the solo just now on YouTube and have cranked it moderately.

My kid, who hates the sound of my horn, just opened his bedroom door, where he is socializing remotely, and said "I thought you were playing."

I take that as a supreme compliment.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khedger wrote:
kehaulani wrote:
Matthew Anklan wrote:

I remember reading somewhere that Maynard said that when he had the Birdland Dream Band he was living out of town (I think in Millbrook, NY). Anyway, he had at least an hour drive into town every night for the gig and he'd warm up with his mouthpiece in the car on the way. He said people were always amazed cause he'd walk into the club, say a few hellos, get out his horn, hit the stage and start blowing.....everybody thought he did it totally cold! Ha ha ha.....

keith

I read that article/interview, too. Maynard didn't say he warmed up on his mouthpiece on the way to the gig. He said he warmed up on his trumpet on the way to the gig. I often did the same thing, especially during the first six months I played on Disney's Der Glöckner von Notre Dame (Hunchback) in Berlin and we still lived in Lübeck where my fiancee was still in school. Even at Autobahn speeds it was a two and a half hour drive to the theater and I used to practice my whole daily routine on the way to work.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Retired Professional Trumpet Player, (current) Clinician and Teacher
Critical Care Registered Nurse
Personal Valet to a Malamute (people with Malamutes will understand)
https://i.postimg.cc/R0G2bFdQ/IMG-6788.jpg
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Matthew Anklan wrote:

A bit off topic, but I recently saw an old interview with Mel Brooks and he told a story about hiring Orson Welles to do the narration for 'History of the World Part I'. He booked Welles for five 8 hour sessions and agreed to pay him $5000. He said they started on the first day and by 11:00 am Welles had completed the whole narration perfectly! He had to pay him the $5k anyway....ha ha ha. I guess the moral is - be good AND fast at what you do!

keith
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Even at Autobahn speeds it was a two and a half hour drive to the theater and I used to practice my whole daily routine on the way to work.

They won't even let us hold a cell phone in Georgia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: