• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Eclipse?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Eclipse? Reply with quote

Anyone still playing Eclipse trumpets? They got a lot of buzz a while back. I see they're still very reasonably priced and I'm wondering if people still think they're a good way to go. Have they held up over time? Reviews/opinions good/bad welcome
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hang around here long enough and the hype comes and goes for a lot of models.

I just went to their website and it looks like they no longer offer rear bell tuning, which was one of their initial claims to fame.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
trumpetera
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good horn is a good horn......
Bach NY ML 1943 vintage Bb
Very old YTR-6335
Bach/Malone/Lechner C
Malone-Bach 229 C
H.Ganter Bb
Schagerl Wienna (older model) C
Parker Natural
kevin_soda
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever played one Eclipse. It was standard tuning and it was a killer all-arounder. It played great. Responsive without being bright. Played in tune. Can't remember the model though...
cblawrence1948

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own an Eclipse Equinox that was made for me in 2004. Eclipse does not make this model now because it apparently was too costly to build. The Equinox has the rear bell tuning and a shorter wrap than a conventional trumpet so the valves and bell are closer to your face. My horn is 0.460 with red brass bell and scratch gold finish.

This is my favorite horn to play which I save for when I want to have a great sound in public.

I have been shopping for a new, more conventional trumpet and Eclipse is at the top of my list.
B_Starry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also own an Equinox. Scratch gold with bright gold-plated slides.
I used to own both a Bb (Medium Red) and C, but sold both of them.
Best valves ever, in my opinion!
dacman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eclipse is definite still around and better than ever. Lot’s of research and new designs to meet the needs of the customer over the years. The newest designs are more traditional in looks, but play way better than anything else in my opinion. If you want to find out for yourself, shoot me an email, or phone call to setup a trial.

Don Cornelius
Braw Brass
http://www.brawbrass.com
info@brawbrass.com
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Leigh McKinney and Carl Skinner are still making incredible horns...great pitch, resonance, response, tonal profile, blow, et al. I have two older rear-tuned (Bb and C) and newer Bb and C models. All of them are great players. I’m willing to part with the rear-tuned models, which are in great condition, for any interested parties.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won an Eclipse MR in scratch gold plate from Eclipse many years ago. Leigh used to run a yearly contest on this site. I still play it ever day. It is my go to small group horn. It has a really dark, smokey sound. I have owned a Committee #2 and sold it because I liked the Eclipse better.
tubamuirum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Eclipse Reply with quote

A guy I play regularly with fairly recently got an Eclipse artist model - the Mike Upton Signature. That is a fantastic instrument, and the only thing I've tried recently that - to me - compares favourably with my Spencer.

Last edited by tubamuirum on Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
wohlrab
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Thanks for the great feedback guys. I've been speaking with Leigh about getting a horn going and as soon as things in the world stabilize I'm going in on something custom we're working on. I'll give you an update when that time comes!
wee steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m on my second eclipse, my first was gold plated large yellow, it had rear tuning. Such a fantastic horn, great tuning, flexibility and tone.
I had it 10 years gigged often and it still looked brand new. Unfortunately I dropped it at a gig and destroyed the bell.

Leigh took the valve block and turned it into a celeste CLS, my god these horns are amazing, the tuning, the core in the sound, the ease of playing, I have a MY celeste. My ultimate horn.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
wee steve

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m on my second eclipse, my first was gold plated large yellow, it had rear tuning. Such a fantastic horn, great tuning, flexibility and tone.
I had it 10 years gigged often and it still looked brand new. Unfortunately I dropped it at a gig and destroyed the bell.

Leigh took the valve block and turned it into a celeste CLS, my god these horns are amazing, the tuning, the core in the sound, the ease of playing, I have a MY celeste. My ultimate horn.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two Eclipse cornets and a Medium Yellow trumpet. Liked them all but I sold them in order to try something different.

Now playing a Yamaha 6330 cornet which blows brighter and is better (for me) for jazz. Trumpetwise I'm playing a Scodwell Las Vegas (great big band horn) and, for a broader sound, a Bach 72 with a Nuremberg leadpipe.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
wee steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past two years Eclipse has redeveloped their whole range.
The trumpets are no longer rear tuned. The bells are all new lazer welded, the trumpets are completed redesigned (the celeste) the leadpipes have many more options, the bells have lightweight options and the all cornets are completely redesigned.

One of the perks of the eclipse is getting it built to your specs. The older models are re really really great but the newer models are amongst the best you can get anywhere from anyone.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do they compare with AR Resonance horns?

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
wee steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In GB I haven’t seen anyone play an AR yet.

As far as horns go, (excluding bach and Yamaha) the Eclipse and Smith Watkins are the choice of our west end show trumpeters in Britain, lots of jazzers using eclipse flugelhorns and trumpets and the celeste making its way into lots of pro orchestras too.

Eclipse is not a new company, it’s 20 years old but before that Leigh Headed up a few others as chief manufacturer (Sterling and then B&S I think) and Eclipse started as first class brass repairing for the likes of Bach and Yamaha.

AR is a newer company based in Italy, they are more expensive than eclipse and are using different metals etc.. I guess time will tell with AR. There’s room for lots of good horns in the market though 🙂

I did hear a video of Trent Austin on an AR and he sounded great.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wee steve wrote:

I did hear a video of Trent Austin on an AR and he sounded great.

Yes he did, which is why I bought that sucker!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhatpro wrote:
How do they compare with AR Resonance horns?

I've had a custom Eclipse Bb (Enigma) and C, both for over a year, and I find them to be simply great horns...for me. The response, pitch, resonance, slotting, richness of tone, et al are impeccable...well worth considering for anyone in the market.

The AR Resonance trumpets are also great horns. I owned an AR Leggera (Tony's light/lead model) for a few months up until recently before passing it on in a trade. I had gotten it very gently used from an older gentleman that found the ML bore to be a little large for him...that he needed a true M bore. (He is 84yo, btw.) For me I much prefer plated or lacquered horns due to the smell that raw brass/bronze/nickel leaves on my hands and didn't want to put the money into the AR horn, and knowing that some just love that type of setup, or to whom it doesn't matter. Although I have only played the Leggera model, I understand that the other models have a character that is often a choice among jazz players that want that "smokey" jazz feel…but then we have Sergei Nakariakov playing the AR horns now, so what do we do with that?! He's certainly not a jazz player! Ha!

I think both makers would say the same thing: There’s enough market for everyone building to find buyers/players. I believe the makers of these two brands have incredible giftings and produce caring attention to detail in their work. If you are looking to buy a new (or used) horn, then both of these would be worth checking out…symphonic, jazz, commercial, combo, big band, theatre…they both make horns that would fit all of these genres.
wee steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
You hang around here long enough and the hype comes and goes for a lot of models.

I just went to their website and it looks like they no longer offer rear bell tuning, which was one of their initial claims to fame.

Having owned a rear tuned Eclipse that was great and now the owner of a conventional eclipse, I asked Leigh about the change.

He said it was purely to open the market to more players, he had people come to his workshop, say they loved the trumpet but couldn’t see past the rear tuning, so he changed to suit those who shopped with their eyes. Eclipse can and will still build a rear tuned horn if required, and some people do prefer them.

I lost the rear tuning screw which secured the bell bow in place, then on a gig I picked it up from there and dropped the horn on it’s bell.

Having said that I’m glad I did because the newer models are far superior to the old ones. The old ones sounded fantastic but the overtones on the newer models are just endless.

Previous horns:
Eclipse Celeste CLS MY
Eclipse LY (rear tuned)
Bach ML37
B & S Challenger ii
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: