• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Monette mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems good but am I the only one not in love with the sound?

Now, I realise this is very subjective. I prefer darker sounds with a tendency towards improvisation and section work, not lead. I, personally, wouldn't trade enhanced response at the expense of a darker, rounder sound. Any similar responses?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Now, I realise this is very subjective. I prefer darker sounds with a tendency towards improvisation and section work, not lead. I, personally, wouldn't trade enhanced response at the expense of a darker, rounder sound. Any similar responses?

Aloha, I totally agree. That's why I primarily play on my B6DS1. Big cup, big sound. I can go as smoky as I want. Mahalo....
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
I was curious until I got to the shipping options-FedEx 3 day for $28 or Express 2 day for $38. What is wrong with USPS Priority for about $8? I use it constantly to ship GR mouthpieces and have never had a single problem. Or even standard FedEx ground would cost half of their lowest price and maybe take a day longer? At least give us the option....

Check Thompson Music. They offer a wider variety of shipping options.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

It's designed to answer a specific market and a specific set of playing characteristics. There are likely slightly heavier Monette pieces that would better fit your preferences.
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dr_trumpet wrote:
ScottA wrote:
I was curious until I got to the shipping options-FedEx 3 day for $28 or Express 2 day for $38. What is wrong with USPS Priority for about $8? I use it constantly to ship GR mouthpieces and have never had a single problem. Or even standard FedEx ground would cost half of their lowest price and maybe take a day longer? At least give us the option....

Check Thompson Music. They offer a wider variety of shipping options.

Yep! They shipped mine for under 10 bucks. USPS Priority.
Daniel Barenboim
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theslawdawg wrote:
Initial thoughts....

1). Solid bottom end. Wow. Playing low C, is like starting a Harley up. That's awesome. Was really surprised, in a good way by that. .

This is what I like to hear from my 2nd trumpet players in the classical repertoire.

DB
coraltrpt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I should poke this topic - were there any more impressions on this mouthpiece? I've heard from the source that it has a 19 throat as a part of the design.
lclebsch215

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coraltrpt wrote:
Thought I should poke this topic - were there any more impressions on this mouthpiece? I've heard from the source that it has a 19 throat as a part of the design.

I've been curious to look at pictures of what the inside of the cup and backbore look like.
gdong
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a #3. #2 is on the way as the #3 is not a good fit for me.

#3 is very much a MV 1-1/2C design. Monette has always been good about selecting the best Bach examples and running with them. This is very much the B3 rim. It has more bite than a B3, low alpha, full C shaped cup. Basically the 1-1/2C that those who play one are searching for. It has great articulation and is comfortable. It is in the 640 feeling size (for the Parke people). Feels slightly narrower than a modern 1-1/2C. Similar to Curry in feel.

Length is short, 3.1" like the ReesePiece and like the regular Monette B series.

Backbore is big, eats a pencil. Maybe not as big as the regular Monette mouthpieces but the last taper is bigger than the Reespiece. Close to Parke S in that taper!

Throat is big. Not as big as a normal monette but bigger than the 24 which is the biggest bit I have. Will try to get a 23 and 22 and see where it goes.

Blank is Bach. The blank matters and I think that this blank sound and response and feels exactly like we want to play with others.

All in all, the Monette pitch-whatever-ness concept does work, is backed by science, and has obvious benefits. In this configuration I think that it is also PRACTICAL. The #3 is certainly more efficient to play on, and sounds out front like we would expect based on what we get through our jaw vibrations.

Good job Dave Monette. I think this may catch on, I hope he can produce a wider variety of cups. Would love to see what would happen on a really shallow lead cup with this concept.
UMiami DMA '16
derekganong.com
WoodsysMusic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were lucky enough to get our order in early for these. A lot of interest so far. The people who have tried and bought them have had nothing but positive things to say. The main feedback we've been getting is that they feel like a Monette just with much much better feedback. The sound is, as expected, a little brighter than your standard Monette. We've also heard from a few people that the upper register is a bit more focused. Overall a great response from our customers!

If you're interested in ordering we've got a few left in each size:
https://www.woodsysmusic.com/collections/new-arrivals/products/monette-tradition-plus-bb-trumpet-mouthpiece
330-673-1525
www.woodsysmusic.com
banddept@woodsys.com
dcbrown1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that the Pranas tend to spread out the focus . . . less focus. Do others feel the same way, and does this latest addition to the same?
nowave
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcbrown1 wrote:
I've found that the Pranas tend to spread out the focus . . . less focus. Do others feel the same way, and does this latest addition to the same?

For me, the Tradition Plus felt and sounded more like a Prana than a Classic. Others may have a different experience, ymmv, etc etc.
Ricsim88

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to revive this topic. Derek, would you say the rim feel is similar to a Curry? I’m using a Curry 3BC now and find it quite comfortable. I’m definitely curious about those mouthpieces.

Cheers

gdong wrote:
I have a #3. #2 is on the way as the #3 is not a good fit for me.

#3 is very much a MV 1-1/2C design. Monette has always been good about selecting the best Bach examples and running with them. This is very much the B3 rim. It has more bite than a B3, low alpha, full C shaped cup. Basically the 1-1/2C that those who play one are searching for. It has great articulation and is comfortable. It is in the 640 feeling size (for the Parke people). Feels slightly narrower than a modern 1-1/2C. Similar to Curry in feel.

Length is short, 3.1" like the ReesePiece and like the regular Monette B series.

Backbore is big, eats a pencil. Maybe not as big as the regular Monette mouthpieces but the last taper is bigger than the Reespiece. Close to Parke S in that taper!

Throat is big. Not as big as a normal monette but bigger than the 24 which is the biggest bit I have. Will try to get a 23 and 22 and see where it goes.

Blank is Bach. The blank matters and I think that this blank sound and response and feels exactly like we want to play with others.

All in all, the Monette pitch-whatever-ness concept does work, is backed by science, and has obvious benefits. In this configuration I think that it is also PRACTICAL. The #3 is certainly more efficient to play on, and sounds out front like we would expect based on what we get through our jaw vibrations.

Good job Dave Monette. I think this may catch on, I hope he can produce a wider variety of cups. Would love to see what would happen on a really shallow lead cup with this concept.

Yamaha 9445 CHS 3rd gen
Yamaha Xeno 8335IIS
Yamaha 9820C piccolo
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricsim88 wrote:
Sorry to revive this topic. Derek, would you say the rim feel is similar to a Curry? I’m using a Curry 3BC now and find it quite comfortable. I’m definitely curious about those mouthpieces.

Cheers

I too am curious. I'm mostly a 3C-ish player. I'm using a Yamaha Shew Jazz at the moment. Last year, it was a Stork 3C. Both are great.

I played on some Monettes about 15+ years ago. There were fewer sizes and options back then, but the B6 didn't feel quite right and the B4S didn't either. Now there's just too many sizes to figure out - I guess it's nice to have lots of choices, but it's resulted in me moving on to other options entirely.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
Ricsim88 wrote:

Cheers

I too am curious. I'm mostly a 3C-ish player. I'm using a Yamaha Shew Jazz at the moment. Last year, it was a Stork 3C. Both are great.

I played on some Monettes about 15+ years ago. There were fewer sizes and options back then, but the B6 didn't feel quite right and the B4S didn't either. Now there's just too many sizes to figure out - I guess it's nice to have lots of choices, but it's resulted in me moving on to other options entirely.

B4LD is based on an old Bach 3C rim. Its totally different from the B4 and its not a lead mouthpiece. Might work for you.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
bjcord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
Crazy Finn wrote:
Ricsim88 wrote:

Cheers

B4LD is based on an old Bach 3C rim. Its totally different from the B4 and its not a lead mouthpiece. Might work for you.

I'm sorry, but this is not correct. It's the old B4S size that was based on a Mt. Vernon-era 3C owned by Lew Soloff, hence the letter S. That size is very similar to a modern 1-1/2C. The modern version of this same rim/cup is the B4S S2.

The B4LD is a semi-shallow mouthpiece with a different rim, comparable in diameter to a modern Bach 1-1/2, and designed specifically as a more cushiony lead mouthpiece rim. It's not as shallow as some lead mouthpieces, but still considered to be one, as its cup is on the shallow side. The letter L is for 'lead' and the D means it's slightly deeper than the standard 'lead' depth B4L (B4L S1). The modern version of the B4LD is the B4LD S1.
blasticore
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjcord wrote:
*Shows Up*

Hooray!
indigruuv

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: I absolutely love it! Reply with quote

I have played a Resonance B2S3 for about 18 months. I never liked where it placed the sound. Nor did I like the relative lack of feedback, especially when in section, or in loud settings. I tended to tax myself and sometimes ended up overblowing.

I ordered the Tradition Plus 2 as soon as I became aware of them, and received it last week. I immediately preferred it to my Resonance. Better bloom on the sound with better response and ease of getting around. It plays bigger with faster diffusion into the room. I can hear myself without blasting or over-blowing. It definitely allows me to relax into the blow. I always preferred the standard mpcs to the Pranas, however, I ordered Prana this time and found no issue. I am able to play The Tradition Plus 2 with a focused sound and have no problem coloring my tone as I like. My range is better on it as well. On the B2S3 I was topping out at a rather thin Eb concert over high C. On the new TP2, I can get a very solid F concert and can squeak out higher notes fairly easily. I may decide to pursue increasing my range after all these years!

I am thoroughly enjoying the new mouthpiece and will likely be having a mouthpiece sale when then Covid19 emergency is over.
Jupiter XO 1645S Flugel
Stork 2 mouthpieces
Picket 3 with Reeves Sleeves

"patience, persistence, timing; flexibility, focus, and vogue!"

Freddie Dunn
Legitbrass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - Thompson has them for the standard $205, but no tax and free shipping.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a 3 and a 6 from Thompson Music for $205 with free shipping.

Tried them both for a few minutes and didn't like them as much as I thought I would. Certainly not as much as Charlie Porter does in the demo video running on the Monette site.

As in all things, your mileage may vary.

I put both pieces in the Marketplace at a reduced cost with free shipping. The 6 is already sold.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: