• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Chris Gekker

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Chris Gekker Reply with quote

Hello all! Next fall I'll be studying at UMD for a trumpet performance minor. As Im sure you know, Chris Gekker is the trumpet professor there.

Anyone know how big the trumpet studio is and how often Gekker teaches? I thought it was a huge studio and Gekker only taught a few students, but at my audition (conducted by Gekker alone) he said otherwise.

If I am lucky enough to be taught by Gekker, what can I expect from his teaching?

How can I best prepare myself for trumpet at the collegiant level?

Im very excited to grow my trumpet playing in college as a member of a great trumpet studio!
NikolaTomic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on being accepted to a wonderful university with a renowned music program.

I would recommend that you pose your questions directly to Chris Gekker, as nobody here will be better qualified to answer them than he is.
trumpetmandan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 90% certain that Mr. Gekker teaches the whole studio at UMD. Of course, if you want 100% certainty, better to ask him directly!
Petey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Chris Gekker Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Hello all! Next fall I'll be studying at UMD for a trumpet performance minor. As Im sure you know, Chris Gekker is the trumpet professor there.

Anyone know how big the trumpet studio is and how often Gekker teaches? I thought it was a huge studio and Gekker only taught a few students, but at my audition (conducted by Gekker alone) he said otherwise.

If I am lucky enough to be taught by Gekker, what can I expect from his teaching?

How can I best prepare myself for trumpet at the collegiant level?

Im very excited to grow my trumpet playing in college as a member of a great trumpet studio!

He is probably the best teacher of trumpet in the nation.
Brilliant mind, brilliant philosophy, great artistry, kind and very nurturing..no one like him.
Padam

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on your acceptance. I studied with Chris at UMD about 10 years ago and received my Master’s in trumpet performance with him. When I was there the studio was fairly small, about 10 students. I studied with both Chris and Steve Hendrickson. Like I said I was there as a masters student so my experience was different from the undergrad folks, but Chris really taught me what it means to be a true musician. Our lessons consisted of a lot of duet playing. As for preparing, there’s not much I can recommend. He accepted you, so I wouldn’t stress about trying to “prepare” for lessons. Just continue with what you’re doing and know that you are in very capable hands. Chris will take care of the rest.

Again, congratulations, Chris does not accept many players every year. You are in for a life changing experience. I echo the comments above, Chris is a brilliant and soulful musician and teacher. Also, don’t hesitate to reach out directly, or like I did the summer before I started at UMD, find him walking along a road in the middle of nowhere Utah, but that’s a story for a different day. Congratulations!

Peter Adam
parentologist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Now I understand why my kid is applying there.
JH3136

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on all the other comments about Chris. I studied with him at the Hartt School back in 1987-88 and he absolutely altered the trajectory of my playing. IMHO, Chris likely has the best understanding of trumpet playing of any teacher and will work with you to improve your fundamentals while at the same time helping you to become a much stronger musician. I recall that he used a "working musician" approach to the instrument and I learned a tremendous amount about how to apply the basics to any performance situation. He would regularly put exercises and etudes into the context of what we was doing that week as a performer, e.g. an American Brass Quintet concert, a concert Orchestra of St. Lukes, a studio gig or playing a Broadway show.

I think any of his former students can attest to this. Congratulations on your acceptance to UMD and look forward to a great journey with Chris!
BFlinch83
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied with Chris from 2018-2020 for my MM in trumpet at UMD. I must say it was the honor of my trumpet playing life to work with him. Chris is possibly the most humble and modest person on the planet, combined with one of the most well-read scholars on music, the trumpet, and a variety of other topics. He'd be a Jeopardy champion without a doubt. Chris also taught me more about music, the way that the trumpet works, and how to work with the trumpet than I thought possible in two short years. I am a much more efficient and solid player than I was when I started with him. Enjoy your experience in the studio at UMD!
Petey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BFlinch83 wrote:
I studied with Chris from 2018-2020 for my MM in trumpet at UMD. I must say it was the honor of my trumpet playing life to work with him. Chris is possibly the most humble and modest person on the planet, combined with one of the most well-read scholars on music, the trumpet, and a variety of other topics. He'd be a Jeopardy champion without a doubt. Chris also taught me more about music, the way that the trumpet works, and how to work with the trumpet than I thought possible in two short years. I am a much more efficient and solid player than I was when I started with him. Enjoy your experience in the studio at UMD!

Gekker is probably the best in the nation...just on a different level and in a different league.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: