• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How are you and yours doing?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: How are you and yours doing? Reply with quote

I don’t know why the previous covid virus thread was pulled, and I hope this one is okay. I will PM the moderators after this post to make sure. Please stay away from political and medical advice so this one doesn’t get pulled. [Edit: Yes! Moderators]

My main goal of this thread is to see how the TH community and their friends and loved ones are holding up.

My extended family includes some in Omaha, including my 94 yo mother, and other than a complete quarantine on my mother’s senior complex no one has been affected nor infected.

Others are in Dallas and okay.

My children are in LA. They and theirs are not infected.

Most areas haven’t been as exposed as the San Francisco Bay Area where I live so hopefully most of you are not affected either.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:55 pm    Post subject: How are you and yours doing? Reply with quote

It is a very important topic and it is absent religion or politics. My family is all OK and my oldest daughters kids all want to be back in school. She now swears that they can't be "her" kids because she hated the first 10 years of school! On a personal level I now have 35 years sobriety in AA and regularly attend a pretty big meeting hall a block down the street from my apartment. Attendance was down for two or so days a week ago but now people are back. The most truthful realization was that as a group recovering alcoholics always give hugs to one another. Now we kind of give best wishes and no hand shaking or hugs. I know going to start coffee at my meeting hall and seeing the people come in for a morning meeting encourages me in the situation and the well-being everyone wishes people. Having my grocery store open is a real blessing. Simple things are easier to appreciate. Time will pass, we will come out on the other side of this.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are peaceful in my part of AR. The sons are nearer to problems, one has been a paramedic for years and the other does bank work. Both too close to the virus for my comfort.
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complicated and simple, all at once. Every gig, rehearsal and event has been cancelled, so I'm completely free (but with three kids home from school).

However my wife is a primary-care MD and her schedule has been changing daily as they try to work out what to do, how to best maintain necessary care for well children while avoiding infecting patient or doctor.

Add to that that we are moving (or planning to) in June and are trying to buy a house. We're finding that most places (lender, bank, insurance, realtor) are picking up the phone anyway, even though they're all in NY where businesses are supposed to be closed.

We just had an interesting trip to the Rochester area, where we were one of two guests in a holiday inn, eating takeout in our room, and driving on a nearly-empty I-90.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks. This caught me right in the middle of a move. So, I'm paying rent on my previous apt. and my new one, as well as some construction costing thousands. We're on a lockdown and no outside people can come inside the complex.

For me, in a wheelchair, that makes any groceries and food home delivery difficult. Additionally, ref. the move, my family members can't come in and help with the packing.

Getting in some practice but I've lost a lot of incentive.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are fortunate enough to be able to stay home and do some work from home, so we are relatively safe and occupied. At least there's the internet!
multiphonic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My spouse and I recently retired (me this past June), so we timed that right.

We're puttering around the house, exercising and monitoring supplies to minimize trips to the store, hoping to stretch out to 8-10 days between trips.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Houston, they just 10 minutes ago put a stay at home order in, they’re calling it “stay home work safe.” As everyone knows, there are MANY occupations that cannot be done from home, which of course includes musicians’ gigs. I’m fortunate in that my gigs are usually only weekends, so while the income loss is felt, it’s not my primary source. I’ve had limited success in converting my lessons to on line, but my day job (sales rep) has been severely limited/curtailed.

Nothing to do but hope for the best and follow official guidelines, but obviously this is going to impact the economy and unemployment rate in DRASTIC ways. I will say however, that there are people whose personal incomes have been only somewhat or not at all affected by this, so I’m not sure saying “we’re all in this together” is really accurate. That’s a bit easier to say by someone whose job and income have not been radically reduced or lost. I know health and safety absolutely have to take priority, but this really is not affecting everyone equally....but I suppose that’s to be expected.

And someone recently said that we don’t want the cure for this to be even worse than the crisis itself.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Sucks. This caught me right in the middle of a move. So, I'm paying rent on my previous apt. and my new one, as well as some construction costing thousands. We're on a lockdown and no outside people can come inside the complex.

For me, in a wheelchair, that makes any groceries and food home delivery difficult. Additionally, ref. the move, my family members can't come in and help with the packing.

Getting in some practice but I've lost a lot of incentive.

What a predicament! Lack of timing, indeed! And in the middle of a move. Arghhh! But don´t give up - spring will come and so will summer!
Life's unfair sometimes! Over here (far side of the ocean) everything is locking down - big companies and society. Not at all easy for small businesses. Persons above 70 are requested to stay at home!
We, on the other hand, are having kind of a sudden vacation! Son in law&daughter (both doctors) told us "move out to your cottage at least for a month" so we did. I practice a lot, back to basics, "foresting" a lot, trees down every day. Nearest human being 3 km away! No luxury at all, but we manage; hot water, shower, heat pump etc. Situated in the middle of a lake and forest district, 5 meters from a little lake. My grandparents bought it 1947, since then my father added space during his lifetime, so have I. Built a little guest house (13 square meters) some years ago. Mainly using it as a practice facility!
Once a week we drive to a little village to buy necessities. So I can´t complain. Trumpetplaying will gain a lot
But eventually we´ll miss the grandchildren and their parents. And I do miss playing in the bands.
You gotta survive - could be worse.
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helpful thread -- thanks for starting it.

We are healthy. Our 7 and 9 year old grandchildren, who live with us, have been distance learning for almost two weeks now. The local teachers have done an incredible job quickly setting up lessons, videos and activities online. My normal days off have been during the week the last couple weeks, so my wife and I have partnered well in the schooling environment but it is a lot of work. We get Spring Break next week and then will be back at distance learning through at least April 24.

I am an airline employee and so far the Company is doing all it can to keep essential personnel (like me) on the payroll and being gainfully employed. Still a bit unsettling, as it is for all of us.

Nice weather -- got out on the back deck with the horn yesterday and did some soft long tones and some equally soft tunes out of the Mel Bay hymns book

Al Innella
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone memorized the complete Arban Book yet?It's either practice or go stir crazy.Trying too eliminate some bad habits.
Stay healthy,

Al
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
Has anyone memorized the complete Arban Book yet?It's either practice or go stir crazy.Trying too eliminate some bad habits.
Stay healthy,

Al

Nice! Clearly why trumpet is a superior hobby/avocation.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hesitated in posting this, but in the interest of “things can always get worse”: if you REALLY want to experience a massive mess, try dealing with the sudden unexpected death (not from Covid19) of a relative, 1300 miles away with no family in the area, in the middle of this mess.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I hesitated in posting this, but in the interest of “things could be worse”: if you REALLY want to experience a massive mess, try dealing with the sudden unexpected death of a relative, 1300 miles away with no family in the area, in the middle of this mess.

Brad

I certainly feel this one too Brad. We were supposed to visit a cousin in Switzerland but the trip had to be cancelled. He died last weekend. I find solace in the fact that he is released from his ailments, but will miss his once brilliant sense of humor and intellect.

Otherwise, we are doing well. One of the advantages of having a home-based business and living out in the country means that life has not changed that much for us. We have lost out outside contacts through music and gigs, which were big, but we are safe and fine. Got some stuff into the garden today.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local county has just extended and strengthened the shelter in place order. It now is in effect until May 3rd.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We’re on the same path, the Texas governor today extended school closures to May 3. I don’t believe schools anywhere will be back in session before the Fall.

This will be one of those periods in history that people one day will tell their grandchildren about.

Brad
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virginia governor decided to keep us at home until June 10.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is making her Silicon Valley income while working at home. I'm not currently working, but heard a rumor today that I may pick up some income watering plants (I work at a nursery). We have no kids, but our 21-to-23-year-old cat (we adopted him over 20 years ago as a young adult cat) is looking and acting like he's on his last legs, so one of these weeks we'll probably have to take him to the vet and have him taken inside and euthanized while we wait outside... which is small beans compared to the human toll many of us are suffering, but is still sad to contemplate; I've been present for all of my previous pets' final breaths.

No scary news from either of our families yet.

I keep reminding myself that Rafael Mendez supposedly practiced many times a day, for fairly short periods, between times spent puttering in his garden. But every time I go out to "putter" in the garden it turns into an hours-long project!
Happy Canuck
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to return to Toronto from Largo, FL 3 weeks early. When we crossed the border we were required to self quarantine for 14 days, and today is the 14th day! Mind you, freedom doesn't give us much. We can go for groceries once a week but the booze stores are still open!!

Great time to clean my horns and practice .......

Take care all.

Olds trumpets/GR Butcher 65.6M
Olds cornets/Sparx 4B
Olds Flugelhorn/GR leadpipe/GR Butcher 65.6FL
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Canuck wrote:
freedom doesn't give us much. We can go for groceries once a week but the booze stores are still open!!

They are closing them here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: