• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clark Terry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Clark Terry Reply with quote

I just got a copy of Clark's autobiography (Mic's signed copy - his widow sent it), and was wondering if any of you had read it. It's on my 'to read' stack ... but that stack is about 3 feet high.
Any reviews?
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Clark Terry Reply with quote

dershem wrote:
I just got a copy of Clark's autobiography (Mic's signed copy - his widow sent it), and was wondering if any of you had read it. It's on my 'to read' stack ... but that stack is about 3 feet high.
Any reviews?

I loved it, although I personally felt it could have used some better editing. That's no fault of the writer! (Those of us that have written professionally know how important a great editor is for the final product...) But it's a great ride from a relentlessly positive guy and inspiring musician.

One thing that really stuck with me - aside from his wonderful personality, which really comes through in the pages - was his description of the music scene in NYC with all the commercial work of the time. It's really something.

I didn't think it was a classic on the level of "To Be Or Not To Bop" or "Miles" or any of the books by Louis, but as a trumpet player and CT fan I think there's a whole lot to love in there!

I mean, come on, it's CT - it has to be great!
vwag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read it, and really enjoyed it. The man was committed and came from nothing, great motivation. I like that the writing is very informal, very much in his voice.
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwag wrote:
Read it, and really enjoyed it. The man was committed and came from nothing, great motivation. I like that the writing is very informal, very much in his voice.

Agree 100%
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: