• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Miles Davis - tuning slide way out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Miles Davis - tuning slide way out Reply with quote

Link

Check out how far Miles slide is out. What's up with that? He sounds strong though. I never played a Committee, do they tend to blow nice with the slide out far? I've noticed I can play in tune with my slide in different places, it just changes the sound, response, and feel... but I tend to like how I sound with the slide pushed in as far as I can go without getting sharp.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikes played two mouthpieces made by joe gustat and this looks like one of them. Judging by the sound and his high register I would say this is the shallower one. The gusta is shorter than most mouthpieces and also are a little sharp in the upper register. He is a little flat in the middle register but sound good up high. His slide position could maybe be in a little bit then he would be sharp sometimes. With that gustat most people would maybe 1/4 inch farther in than that. In that spot if using Harmon mute. With the deeper gustat mouthpiece even more in, but still about twice as far out as they would be with a 1c on a Bach. Also we don’t know the temperature on the stage, but everyone looks pretty comfortable. I bought that DVD and it’s a real good set
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
Mikes played two mouthpieces made by joe gustat and this looks like one of them. Judging by the sound and his high register I would say this is the shallower one. The gusta is shorter than most mouthpieces and also are a little sharp in the upper register. He is a little flat in the middle register but sound good up high. His slide position could maybe be in a little bit then he would be sharp sometimes. With that gustat most people would maybe 1/4 inch farther in than that. In that spot if using Harmon mute. With the deeper gustat mouthpiece even more in, but still about twice as far out as they would be with a 1c on a Bach. Also we don’t know the temperature on the stage, but everyone looks pretty comfortable. I bought that DVD and it’s a real good set
Thanks for your feedback. The gustat is short shank like a monette? how come we don't need to pull the slide out farther on a monette piece, is it because the throat is more open than a gustat?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: