• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vintage Reynolds Professional Cornet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Vintage Reynolds Professional Cornet Reply with quote

About 2 months ago I found a vintage Reynolds cornet at a little music store locally; it was gorgeous. That one had a solid sterling silver bell, gold filigree and bell, nickel-silver leadpipe and brass receiver and a mixed brass and nickel silver valve block. Nice player too.

Yesterday I found another one; unbelievable. This one doesn't have the solid sterling silver bell but it's the same model. Made by Reynolds and without a model name, it's one of a group that's simply called, "Reynolds Professional", http://contemporacorner.com/cornets/reynolds-cornets/ (mine looks like model 60 in the '52-64 group).

Apparently made in '57, I met the owner yesterday and was pleasantly pleased to see the horns case was in very good condition (and it's 55 years old). Then I picked up the horn, it was pretty clean (always a plus) and I worked the valves just a moment. At that point, as an astute buyer, I'm trying not to show excitement but the case is great and the valves are PHENOMENAL!!

Long and short of it, I buy the horn. I get it home and clean it up some and the tone on the thing is simply incredible. From low C to low Gb - the thing simply purrs. Actually, it reminds me of a big cat with that low, throaty purr... And the valves are to die for. I've got a Lawler with Getzen valves - and they're great. This Reynolds is just as good - and I'm not kidding. Slightly shorter valve stroke, too.

Now here's the sad part... I'm not really crazy about the cornet - I love the trumpet. I prefer the cornet to the flugel but I love the trumpet. I usually buy horns to clean them up and resell them. I ENJOY taking an older horn, cleaning it up inside and out and selling it - but I don't think the Reynolds, without a solid sterling silver bell, will bring much. So I tell my wife tonight, "I've got to keep this horn; it's unbelievable." She couldn't care less - except it's ANOTHER horn in the house (not a good thing).

Ok - give it to me. How many of you own or have owned or played one of these top quality Reynolds horns? This thing is one of the best horns I think I've ever had my hands on. Is it a freak? Or was Reynolds still making an excellent horn in the late '50s? Of course this horn is still in really good shape; the valves are good and the compression is really good. Ok, again, if you know about these horns - tell me how good they were (were they all good?); you'll have my thanks.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
Gilligan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one with a 3xx serial number that was made in late 1935 or early 1936. It has had some bell damage that will need to be pulled out but the damage isn't going to leave crinkles behind. I've played it a bunch and even with the bell damage it is a great sounding horn.
mcgyver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a thread with a long white beard, but I just have to post this.

I have a 1947 Reynolds Professional cornet (no, not Roth-Reynolds) and it is a superb player.

I had a professional player (who wanted to buy a trumpet i was selling) play it. She had never played a cornet before but immdeiately fell in love with cornets and wanted to buy mine. But I wasn't selling.

We made a deal that if I ever wanted to get rid of it, she would be the first to buy.

She is a terriffic player and if I do sell, it will be to her, even if some else places a higher bid.

I cannot think of a greater compliment to get on a horn.

So yeah, I can surely relate to what you're saying.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, glad you let us know! I’ve had a few Reynolds since then, the Professional is rare, but all mine have been nice players.
So, Frank (?) Reynolds left King and established his own shop. He then went to Olds and took over and wowed a young guy there named Zig Kanstul. He died while at Olds ( literally, if I recall correctly?). I think he really knew his stuff.
As an aside, many of those vintage horns were smaller bore and bell. For me, they seem much easier to fill and control than today’s larger models. I think of many of them as ‘soloist’ horns.
Again, thanks for posting. Makes a great start to my day.
And if that dear lady upsets you in ANY way... Just sell me that fine little Reynolds, sir. Upon your approval, I’d even send her a pic or vid of me enjoying the little thing. ( sorry, just a bit of dark humor to make the thread more earthy!)
mcgyver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I really did not expect a reply anymore in such an old thread anymore, and surely not this fast.

FOSTER Reynolds started at very young age at York at about the end of the 19th century. Within two years the already called hun a Master trumpet builder. From York he went to Conn (as far as I can recall) and than started his own company, later selling to his son-in-law Roth. He than went to King (or did he go to King before sarting off for his own?) Finally he started at Olds, his last job.

His presence coincides with the heyday of every company he worked for.

In between he developed the famous Martin Committee along with Renold Schilke and three others (hence the name Martin COMMITTEE). Although Schilke stated that it was "a committee of one", seeing the excellent job he dus everywhere he went, I suspect that both gentlemen had a tremendous part in the result. I think Foster Reynolds and Renold Schilke are the best trumpetbuilders ever roaming the earth.

I bought my cornet dinged and dented and with stuck slides, but with superb valve action.

When I went to the repairman tot have it fixed, his wife wrote the receipt. She asked me why I bought zich an old and ugly cornet. I did not realy reply seriously.

When I went to pick it up, the repairman came from the repairroom especially to see me. He said: "You don't nearly have a clue what geest cornet you bought".

I bought the cornet as a kind of tribute tot Foster Reynolds, not tot actually play it. I did not know it was one of the top level corners he made. It is a raw (yellow) brass long model cornet with nickel silver leadpipe wich tears the paint off the wall of you push it, but played gently it has a warm sound.

As for the lady, I fell in love with her playing. She had the right feeling of how a song should be approached. The lady has got "soul". Apart from that she is very modest, much too modest.

I promised myself that if I find another good specimen, I will give it to her as a present.
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awwww.... Great stuff!
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1958 Hi-fi in satin silver with polished accents that I purchased from the Byron Autrey estate. It is definitely one of my daily players and such a fun horn to make interesting colors on it. Valves have poor compression but I can get the sound to do so much on it I am keeping it that way. Wonderfully built and a work of art!

These are pretty stellar horns IMO.
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
mcgyver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if Trent Austin thinks so too, I'm in excellent company.

I think they are stellar too. In fact I prefer the Reynolds Medalist to the Olds Ambassador, be it cornet of trumpet.

Everyone talks about how great the Getzen and Conn valves are, but think Reynolds should be on that list too. My 1947 Professional still had excellent valves, though it is clear it has been used extensively.

Last edited by mcgyver on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgyver wrote:
Well, if Trend Austin thinks so too, I'm in excellent company.

I think they are stellar too. In fact I prefer the Reynolds Medalist to the Olds Ambassador, be it cornet of trumpet.

Everyone talks about how great the Getzen and Conn valves are, but think Reynolds should be on that list too. My 1947 Professional still had excellent valves, though it is clear it has been used extensively.

Trend? Trend who mAcgyver?

mcgyver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corrected. Damn spellchecker. 😁😁
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get Trend to do a video but here's my Hi-Fi in action.

Link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: