• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A very average comebacker's breakthrough of sorts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: A very average comebacker's breakthrough of sorts Reply with quote

I love the wide variety of players here on TH. We have guys who come back 15 minutes after a three-century layoff who play G above high C and others who can't crack the staff after a couple years of huffing and puffing and blowing the house down.

I fall square in the middle of such comeback warriors, maybe a little on the laggard end. But I pick up some good tips here and there; one I especially liked was the 19/30 long tone exercise. I altered it somewhat about three months ago and now start on C in the staff, and alternate down to F and up to G above the staff.

And lo and behold, in my routine range stretch the other day I finally hit that elusive E above high C. Not real long but no cracking, nice and clear and strong. Wasn't obsessed with it, just thought I'd try it. And the next day hit the F. Not quite so clear or strong, but it was there.

I realize there are plenty of guys on here who consider this a paltry pile of piffle, but it represents a nice sizeable sign that persistence yields rewards, no matter how slight. It's all about the growth mindset. And being strong as an ox between the C's. At least here in Palookaville.

Carry on, brass brethren.
Wannabe808

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! You and others here encourage and inspire hope.
illegalbugler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

No high note screamer here. Second comeback and I've been playing for a decade now. It seems like I've hit a ceiling where I have not been able to get through with my usable range being a bit lower. However, consistent practice has been the key for me to play up in that area. When I miss days for work and/or family, I definitely notice the loss in range, flexibility, and sound.

It's been really tough to adjust to less practice time over the last few years.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and keep it up. I think the concepts in the Rusty Russel 19/30 paper would help anyone. I know I stumbled across the paper when I first started my comeback and didnt pay it much mind. About two years later I read something on an old blog by Jason Pellet describing how to start notes. That combined with the instruction I had gotten from John Mohan kind of all came together to allow me to make a similar jump.

Here is a link to the paper:

http://www.rustyrussell.com/1930s/1930sRev.pdf

There is also a TH post on the topic.
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: A very average comebacker's breakthrough of sorts Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
I love the wide variety of players here on TH. We have guys who come back 15 minutes after a three-century layoff who play G above high C and others who can't crack the staff after a couple years of huffing and puffing and blowing the house down.

Well said!

As for me, I can reach High C fairly reliably, and on a good day, even DHC. Not that I routinely play in that range, it's just good to know I can do it at all.

Increasing my high range isn't where I put most of my work. Getting a good, rich tone and accurate pitch is what most concerns me.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:11 am    Post subject: Rusty Russel Reply with quote

Thanks croquethed. This has made me go back and look at Rusty’s article. I think that I will go back and try this in my next practice session.
Kumara999
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Air Supply Reply with quote

So tried Rusty’s exercise today. Supposed to play 30 seconds rest 30 seconds play 30 seconds and so on until get through the sequence of notes.

Sadly - I currently cannot make it through 30 seconds without a 2nd breath.

Guess I know what i need to be working on.

This is an excellent back to basics exercise.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always great to hear of anyone's success. Also, I really appreciate your attitude. You defined the success and you consider it success no matter what anyone else might say. You were also humble about it. Fantastic attitude and approach. Congratulations and thanks for pointing out what helped you.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to read about your success. Good luck and keep it up!
JensenW

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, gwood66, for sharing Mr. Russell's ideas. I read them last night, and again today. Of course, watching someone play, you don't think that THEY could be scared they won't hit a note, in front of God and everyone...no. So reading about his inner turmoil while actually gigging was both humbling and uplifting.

Point being, as a comeback player who hasn't performed for at least 25 years, I will try his method in practice today. I am sure it is harder than it looks

The goal is to be a better trumpeter today than I was yesterday.
gwood66
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@JensenW You are welcome.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: