• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

problem with teeth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetgreece

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: problem with teeth Reply with quote

Hi there, trumpet newbie here!

When I play a low G to middle C (I cant play higher), my front upper teeth stick into the lower lip.

It doesn't seem to interfere with the sound but it is vary annoying.

Is this normal? Any ideas to avoid this happening?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably are not holding your jaw and lips correctly.

I suggest you talk with your teacher, and ask to be taught how to properly position the mouthpiece, and how to hold your lips and jaw.
It is important to learn and do this properly when you are learning how to play. Yes it is possible to make some progress if done wrongly, but more progress will become very difficult or impossible.
Many (most?) people have trouble with this because they do not learn to do it correctly at the beginning, and they develop a 'poor way' to play that works for a while. But then they cannot get better, and have to spend a lot of time learning the correct way.

It is usually wrong to press your lower jaw and teeth upward. Your lip muscles should allow your lips to become more firm and pressed together without being forced by upward jaw effort. And you should have some pressure from your lower teeth and lip pressing outward against the mouthpiece rim - don't pull the mouthpiece inward against your lower lip, press your jaw outward.

Playing higher notes is a skill you need to learn - there is much more to it than just 'tight lips' and 'high mouthpiece pressure'. You should not be stretching your lips to make them thin and tight (not like a rubber band, or violin string), and you should not be using mouthpiece pressure to make them flat and thin - that will cause injury.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trumpetgreece

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply!

I sadly don't have a teacher.

I practiced again earlier and I noticed this:
The upper front teeth sink in the lower lip and the lip is actually pinned between the teeth and the mouthpiece. It doesn't seem to vibrate, however with only the upper lip vibrating the sound is nice.

Also I tried to make an adjustment:
I tried to bring the jaw forward so that upper and lower front teeth are vertically alinged. When doing this the teeth problem is solved, however the setup feels completelly unatural, partly because the forward placement of the jaw lessens the pressure between the upper embochoure and the upper mouthpiece.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you use as a basic guide to forming your embouchure, positioning the mouthpiece, jaw position, and tongue position.

Most of the various books and youtube contain good basic information, but sometimes it helps to have someone else explain in different words what is being taught.

Jay
Riojazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very difficult to give you correct advice online, and nothing substitutes well for a good teacher in person. However, can you make a short video of your embouchure and sound, and post a link to that?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetgreece wrote:

I sadly don't have a teacher.

Because?

Not trying to be sarcastic, but your odds of success and correcting this and other problems are GREATLY increased with a qualified teacher. Sure, there can be obstacles, finances sometimes being among them, but generally you CAN find and learn from a private lesson teacher if it’s really a priority.

I really believe that a downside to the internet is that sometimes we try to use it as a substitute for things like an in person teacher.

Brad
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: problem with teeth Reply with quote

trumpetgreece wrote:
Hi there, trumpet newbie here!

When I play a low G to middle C (I cant play higher), my front upper teeth stick into the lower lip.

It doesn't seem to interfere with the sound but it is vary annoying.

Is this normal? Any ideas to avoid this happening?

Well at least your teeth are not bumping into your upper lip. That is the "reed".

(Edited: I highly recommend that you get book by the late Roy Stevens. According to his "two aperture theory" (page 18 of the 2nd edition) it sounds like your teeth are too close together. Keeping a 1/4 inch gap minimum between the upper and lower teeth should prevent that nasty contact between lower lip and teeth. Seriously my friend,
Get the book. And watch the fantastic videos on the "Roy Stevens Tribute Site".)

Can you place the middle of the mouthpiece over the sharpest point on your teeth? This might bury the offending tooth somewhere that it's much less likely to interfere.

Speaking of teeth?
If you read the 2nd edition of the Stevens Costello Triple C Technique there's a whole page devoted to those with exactly your type of problem. Colin Publishing has it in stock. I bought two of them this spring.

Since I switched over to the Stevens System I've found this embouchure to be much less dependent upon the structure of the teeth than other methods. As this is an embouchure that if earnestly developed provides unlimited range with very little contact pressure against the lips and teeth.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetgreece wrote:
I practiced again earlier and I noticed this:
The upper front teeth sink in the lower lip and the lip is actually pinned between the teeth and the mouthpiece. It doesn't seem to vibrate, however with only the upper lip vibrating the sound is nice.

I don’t understand how this is possible. The way I read this the only air is passing through the teeth since the mouthpiece, lower lip and upper teeth would create a seal.

With my personal physiology there is no way I can reproduce what the OP describes the way I understand it.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetgreece wrote:
Also I tried to make an adjustment:
I tried to bring the jaw forward so that upper and lower front teeth are vertically alinged. When doing this the teeth problem is solved, however the setup feels completelly unatural, partly because the forward placement of the jaw lessens the pressure between the upper embochoure and the upper mouthpiece.

Instead of forcing the lower jaw forward to align the teeth try instead to just drop your lower jar just enough to separate the upper teeth from the lower lip.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
trumpetgreece

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!!! Thanks for all the replies.

I draw a picture of what I am trying to describe...

cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly set my embouchure so that my top teeth touch my lower lip if I try. When I blow the air stream is directly downward. Would you try to blow out a candle with your lips and teeth like this?

When I adjust my embouchure to my typical playing position I very slightly lower my jaw and bring it slightly forward. Now the air stream is almost parallel to the ground, and the contact from top teeth and lower lip is eliminated.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
I can certainly set my embouchure so that my top teeth touch my lower lip if I try. When I blow the air stream is directly downward. Would you try to blow out a candle with your lips and teeth like this?

When I adjust my embouchure to my typical playing position I very slightly lower my jaw and bring it slightly forward. Now the air stream is almost parallel to the ground, and the contact from top teeth and lower lip is eliminated.

I am curious how the air passes when your lower lip is in contact with your upper teeth. I am not trying to be argumentative and I realize we all differ, as do our physiologies.

In my personal experience when my upper teeth touch my lower lip the only way for air to pass is through the gaps in my teeth. Unless I make the effort to curl the corners of my lower lip upwards, which totally destroys my embouchure.
trumpetgreece

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another question...

When playing, especially high notes, are your teeth in position A. or position B.? Which one is correct? Thanks!

JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me (my teeth and lips), it's position A.
And I do that by using my jaw muscles to move my lower jaw forward. And also use controlled jaw muscle force to adjust the amount of force that my lower lip presses FORWARD against the rim.
I try to NOT pull the rim against my lower lip. And I try to hlold the trpt level with the floor, I do not intentionally tilt the trpt up or down. My lower lip and teeth absorb quite a bit of the TOTAL mpc pressure - I feel doing it that way allows my upper lip be free to vibrate.
For low notes the mpc pressure is low (upper and lower lip)
middle note is moderate rim pressure with maybe just a little noticeable pressure from lower lip.
high note have additional pressure on lower lip, and attempt to reduce pressure on upper lip.

The upper lip HAS to be able to vibrate - if too much rim pressure the vibrations cannot happen.

Jay
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
cheiden wrote:

I am curious how the air passes when your lower lip is in contact with your upper teeth. I am not trying to be argumentative and I realize we all differ, as do our physiologies.

In my personal experience when my upper teeth touch my lower lip the only way for air to pass is through the gaps in my teeth. Unless I make the effort to curl the corners of my lower lip upwards, which totally destroys my embouchure.

I said I can make the top teeth touch the bottom lip not because it's a workable setup but because I discovered it has happened (to my detriment) when I was working on range on just the mouthpiece. Note that when this happens enough that interferes with the buzz. When And wt does happen the contact isn't uniform due to the crooked teeth so air flows regardless. As I said, in my normal playing there is no touching.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: