• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Site security

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject: Site security Reply with quote

Site monitors and admin:

I understand and agree with that this site needs good security, and I appreciate the efforts you have implemented.

But please - when you put up a selection of pictures from which to select so that I can prove I'm a living, breathing, human trumpet player - do everything you can to ensure those pictures are big enough and clear enough so that we can select the correct ones for safe passage.

I just tried to respond to a private message where I had to select all of the boats in a group of pictures. Most were small pictures and also dark. It was near impossible to see them.

So please - bigger, brighter, and clearer pictures.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Site security Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Site monitors and admin:

I understand and agree with that this site needs good security, and I appreciate the efforts you have implemented.

But please - when you put up a selection of pictures from which to select so that I can prove I'm a living, breathing, human trumpet player - do everything you can to ensure those pictures are big enough and clear enough so that we can select the correct ones for safe passage.

I just tried to respond to a private message where I had to select all of the boats in a group of pictures. Most were small pictures and also dark. It was near impossible to see them.

So please - bigger, brighter, and clearer pictures.

I couldn't agree more. I understand the need for site security. However, some of the pictures are so vague, you can't tell when asked to pick out the boat whether you are looking at railing on a ship or on a backyard patio.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. I've had to do that on other sites, but never on TH.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t sent a private message for several months, so this is something new with doing that.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

Sent you a pm. Neither captcha nor image test encountered in process.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too tested it and didn’t get one of the despised captcha traps.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is it has something to do with that my reply included several links to soundcloud.

adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be random. Sometimes I can access the site and even post on the forum without the new security measures. And then, for no apparent reason even after I have been on the site, if I post to the forum, the security photos pop up after I hit submit, but before my post appears on the forum.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten the captcha verification also - it's been when doing a lot of 'think time' in preparing a new post.
A bypass might be to construct your posts or PM in a separate text file, and then when complete copy and paste into TH - so the TH process goes quickly.
If you are quoting from an earlier TH post, copy and paste that into your text file, then close the TH window - reopen TH when you're all set.

I doubt the TH admin have much control over the details of captcha - it's probably built into the core message board software.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
I doubt the TH admin have much control over the details of captcha - it's probably built into the core message board software.

Jay

I wonder about it being built in. Captcha was just getting started when the version of phbb TH uses was created. (2005)
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, there is a captcha used at times that is provided by Google. Normally, though, you should not be hitting a Captcha when logging in. At least, I assume that's when you're seeing it, when logging in? Let me know a few more details.

It's possible I can dial back the security level a little bit. I personally have never had to solve a Captcha when logging in here so I'm a little bit surprised that anyone is seeing one. Whether or not you see it is based on IP reputation, though, so if you are unluckily assigned an IP that has been used by others for questionable practices, you may see it.

-td
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
... Whether or not you see it is based on IP reputation, though, so if you are unluckily assigned an IP that has been used by others for questionable practices, you may see it.

--------------------------
Sometimes my cable router/modem seems to drop and reacquire its IPaddr - it shows as an 'info' entry in the 'history' of my computer's security suit.
I don't know if that is what has caused my going into Captcha during long period of constructing a forum post.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
Hmm, there is a captcha used at times that is provided by Google. Normally, though, you should not be hitting a Captcha when logging in. At least, I assume that's when you're seeing it, when logging in? Let me know a few more details.

It's possible I can dial back the security level a little bit. I personally have never had to solve a Captcha when logging in here so I'm a little bit surprised that anyone is seeing one. Whether or not you see it is based on IP reputation, though, so if you are unluckily assigned an IP that has been used by others for questionable practices, you may see it.

-td

Howdy, Admin!

The details are I was replying to a private message where I included several SoundCloud links. I've sent assorted links before in PMs but this was the first with SoundCloud.

When I went to preview my reply, I got a Captcha that I had to pass before proceeding. I had to click to prove I was not a robot and then I had to select all the boats from a group of pictures where some pics were boats and some were not.

This was the first time I've seen anything like that.

My complaint on this is about the quality of the pictures that were offered. Even with my screen brightness at maximum, there were pics where it was not clear what was in them. Some were close-up pics, some were far away, and all of them looked faded in quality. I have excellent eyesight but it was like "Good grief - am I going blind?"

I was concerned that if I did not select all of the boat pics or some boat and some not boat that I would have been locked out and banned from the site. This happened using my laptop and on my home WiFi.

I know we've had site security issues in the past, and I don't mind the delay while verification takes place when I visit the site. A few seconds - big deal, not a problem, the price of going to a free web site.

I have no l knowledge on how any of the computer and internet stuff works. If I press enough buttons and pretty colors come up on my screen I'm a happy guy.

Thank you for your reply along with any efforts you try.

LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
My complaint on this is about the quality of the pictures that were offered. Even with my screen brightness at maximum, there were pics where it was not clear what was in them. Some were close-up pics, some were far away, and all of them looked faded in quality. I have excellent eyesight but it was like "Good grief - am I going blind?"

I have the same difficulty when I have to solve the captcha riddles. I wonder if the poor quality is intentional by captcha as a way to catch bots or just sloppy implementation.
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm guessing the firewall found that suspicious for some reason.

The images you saw are selected by Google and I have no control over them. They are intentionally slightly challenging to solve in order to defeat AI and prove that you are human.

I'll still take a look at things and see if there is anything I can do.

-td
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetherald wrote:
Hmm, I'm guessing the firewall found that suspicious for some reason.

The images you saw are selected by Google and I have no control over them. They are intentionally slightly challenging to solve in order to defeat AI and prove that you are human.

I'll still take a look at things and see if there is anything I can do.

-td

Thank you, Sir - appreciate any help.

And like LittleRusty said, it could be just sloppy implementation on their part.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: