• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Relearning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flescher

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Relearning Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm brand new to trumpetetherald so I hope I'm using this forum properly.
I have a 1897 Conn in great shape and I haven't played it in over 50 years. I'd like to know what beginner learning materials are the best to try. Is there a section of this site that shows learning materials?
It seems like a daunting task.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not apply to you, but ...

Back 50+ years ago, I thought that playing 'high notes' was all about be able to tolerate massive mouthpiece pressure, stretching my lips 'tight and thin', and being able to blow super hard.

WRONG, have since learned there actually is a 'learned skill' of using a proper embouchure that actually allows your lips to vibrate fast for high notes, doesn't cause pain or injury, an won't give you a stroke.

If you happen to fall into situation I was in, then there is help here - it is a concern of many players.
If you have any of your old books (I have mine), they are still good. You won't find a 'miracle teaching method' - everything is built off a good foundation of basics.

BTW, welcome aboard,

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that date, 1897, correct? If so, before you go any further, I would take it to a good tech and have it thoroughly serviced.

Regarding your question about getting started, if you can, at least get an introductory, if not several, private lessons to make sure your fundamentals are sound.

I would recommend Harold Mitchell's books, Mitchell on Trumpet. Well-balanced collection of exercises, organized as a one-stop-does-all source.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Relearning Reply with quote

flescher wrote:
Hi all. I'm brand new to trumpetetherald so I hope I'm using this forum properly.
I have a 1897 Conn in great shape and I haven't played it in over 50 years. I'd like to know what beginner learning materials are the best to try. Is there a section of this site that shows learning materials?
It seems like a daunting task.

According to your other post in which you provided the serial number your horn was made in 1952.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to know what beginner learning materials are the best to try.

There is a huge amount of material available. The key thing is knowing what to practice and how to practice it. The best way to figure that out for you is with the assistance of a teacher. Many of them are now offering lessons online. Plus, a teacher can help you avoid bad playing habits that will limit your progress.

If it is not possible for you to study with a teacher, you can get off to a decent start with the aforementioned "Mitchell on Trumpet" by Harold "Pappy" Mitchell or Bill Knevitt's "Getting Started Right on Trumpet" and then "The Developing Trumpet Player." There are many, many other good books -- Claude Gordon's "Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing" and David Hickman's "100 Progressive Lessons" come to mind -- but they are not as comprehensive as Mitchell's or Knevitt's methods.

Good luck, and have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: