• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which music would you play to introduce the trumpet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tro.sy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Which music would you play to introduce the trumpet? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
which music do you like to play to introduce the trumpet to your friends?
What do you think is the best piece to make people really know what a trumpet is and how it sounds?
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was heavily teaching privately i would play, in the first lesson, for beginners or anyone not well acquainted with the possibilities of the instrument, Wynton playing the 3rd mvmt of the Hummel. And then immediatly play Wynton playing Cherokee from the Live at the Vanguard box set.
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moto Perpetuo by Mendez.
Some Bud Herseth.
Some Maynard.
Then what ever you want.
R. Tomasek
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't play just one thing....I mean, there are a LOT of different approaches to the trumpet, right? I'll try to pick a few though:

- Maurice Andre - Brandenburg
- Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
- Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
- Maynard - Message from Newport
- Maynard - Chameleon
- Dizzy/Roy - Diz 'n Roy
- Art Ensemble of Chicago - Nice Guys

keith
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started writing and ended up with a very long list of great trumpet players. Not very helpful. I would say just play them your favorite, the sound of which hits you on a visceral level.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't this depend on the music the person liked.

If I were introducing the trumpet to me, I might play Alison Balsom's Italian Concertos or Maurice Andre (just about anything), or any of a myriad of others, baroque, etc. I would seek beautiful sound.

If I were introducing it to someone interested in other kinds of music, the choices would be different. Rockers one thing, jazz lovers others, etc.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a highly interesting topic does it depend upon musical taste or can a good piece well played transcend the taste and preference or choice of the audience.

I have wrestled with this over the years and what happened today was typical.

I was in a park and a group of youths of 17 to 20 years old on bicycles rode in and started jeering at me when they saw my trumpet, play it they chanted then various parps and raspberries followed.

Then they started screeching out high note noises.

I know these difficult audiences well, they want faster higher blaring noises they associate with trumpet in their ignorance of the instrument.

So I played over their screeches and they fell silent

I played St James Infirmary - slow and respectful and I blew them away and they cheered and then one shouted I had touched him in his heart and moved him. And they waved and applauded as I left.

Play whatever you want it is all good but it must be quality and played with emotion and with feeling and with respect and then they will love you and the instrument.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: what music would you play to introduce the trumpet? Reply with quote

All excellent contributions. My earliest memories are of my parents turning on good music anytime they knew it would be on the tv. Watching Bernstein's Young People's Concerts allowed me to hear Vacchiano. Variety shows allowed me to hear Al Hirt and others. My dad's friend from work was a Stan Kentonophile so I got to listen to his bands on 78s and that included Maynard in the early days. My first teacher was a trumpet man himself so he would introduce me to people on the record player in the band room. All of it pretty magical. From Clyde McCoy to Maynard, to Bud Herseth, to the flat bellys of today. I am still inspired by anything by Winton. Because the trumpet is such a versatile instrument in terms of genres of music I also believe it to be somewhat mystical in nature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: