• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Strange and bizarre problem with the start of my high notes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianpatrickroe

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Strange and bizarre problem with the start of my high notes Reply with quote

I hope this isn't in the wrong section, as it's not about the register that is TOO high. This is my first post so I don't want to mess up. Hi all.

I have searched endlessly online and no one seems to have the answer to this problem I'm having. After having some time away from the trumpet, I am re-building my embouchure, and struggling. At the moment this very strange thing is happening when I am only playing the higher D (so not that high at all), and for some reason, at the attack of the note, it seems to slip a few more notes higher and then come back down, very quickly. It only lasts a millisecond, and it's subtle but it's not a clean entrance to the note and I need it clean.

How do I solve this, it just keep continuously happening and no amount of practice is solving it? What am I doing wrong with my lips? Am I the only one? No one is talking about this issue online. It's strange because I never had this problem when I played as a kid (I was very good back then) but as a 33 year old adult, who had got back into it, I'm stuck on this issue.

Thanks ina dvance.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Strange and bizarre problem with the start of my high no Reply with quote

ianpatrickroe wrote:
... I am only playing the higher D (so not that high at all), and for some reason, at the attack of the note, it seems to slip a few more notes higher and then come back down, very quickly. It only lasts a millisecond, and it's subtle but it's not a clean entrance to the note and I need it clean. ...

-------------------------------------
What you describe is part of the typical 'learning process'.
You're basically just 'aiming too high', likely because you're not yet completely comfortable with it.
Practice will give you the knowledge of what the note's pitch should be, and also coordinate you physically to achieve that pitch.
See note, know note, play note

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree this is part of the learning process and I would also state that this is a great problem to have, as it may indicate that your embouchure is free and ready to go higher without strain. I would even encourage this "flipping up" to see where I could go in the higher range. Most people do not have this "I'm playing too high" problem, so I would consider myself lucky if I had it.

You have obviously hit on some kind of natural knack. When I started back on trumpet I tried all kinds of things to access the high register. Ultimately, it was work with a Reinhardt teacher that helped me find my natural embouchure and access the high register. When the teacher helped me figure it out, I was astonished at how easy it was. If it's a great struggle, you're doing it wrong. So rejoice in the fact that you're doing something right naturally and investigate how that works to bring it under conscious control.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
ianpatrickroe

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
I agree this is part of the learning process and I would also state that this is a great problem to have, as it may indicate that your embouchure is free and ready to go higher without strain.

Thanks. I wish it was the case of this though But unfortunately, we are looking at this small screechy BLIP at the very start, and then I hit the note I want. However, when I try to aim high, actually it just ends up doing the same very quick 'UpDown' thing is does, and I can't actually reach the note. It's upsetting because I don't WANT to reach the higher notes. I know I don't have the stretch for them yet, I just want to master the note I was which is just standard mid D.

Anyway, appreciate the encouragement. Thank you
ianpatrickroe

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange and bizarre problem with the start of my high no Reply with quote

[quote="JayKosta"]
ianpatrickroe wrote:

Practice will give you the knowledge of what the note's pitch should be, and also coordinate you physically to achieve that pitch.
Jay

That makes lots of sense. I think I was looking for some magical adjustment to fast forward to fix the problem, but this is a simple case of practice makes perfect (or at least maybe not perfection but your closest to). Thanks
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sorry you didn't like my first answer...I still think that hidden in the small blip is a sensation of flipping up effortlessly to high notes, something everybody wants.

HOWEVER, here are a couple of other ideas. I'm assuming that the blip occurs when taking an interval up to a high note and I'm wondering if you are pivoting too much...so-o-o-o I'd suggest just being aware of the horn angle and any change as you approach the high note. Just be aware of what happens as you get the blip and then the note settles down...maybe it's a horn angle change.

My second idea is to approach this stepwise. Just go up the scale slowly in quarter notes, half step slurs. Start g-g#, g#-a, a-bflat and so on. See if the notes are easier to get that way. You can hold the second note to see if it's steady. See if you can go higher with a secure attack this way. If this works better, you can devise exercises that give you more of an interval up to the second note, like g-a, a-b, etc. then g-b, a-c, b-d (thirds) and so on. Then also try stacatto notes in scales going up: g,a,b,c,d,e,f#,g. I'm thinking a few days of practice and maybe this or maybe something else will make some improvement. You played these notes OK before, so the muscle memory ought to be accessible in time. Good luck and let us know what works.

If you don't wan thos little blips, put them into an envelope and send them to me and I will practice them and turn them into big fat high notes...LOL.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously can play the note, so I think the simplest answer is audiate the note. Hear it in your mind. Singing helps. If like me, your mind gets a little lazy when you change pitches on modern trumpet, trusting that the valves will lead you to the right place, you just think "higher." In this case, you are thinking that the note is hard to play so your mind gears you up and bingo, you hit something higher. Sing the note (you can use a phone app like Cleartune to generate a pitch if you are unsure), hear it in your mind, play what you hear.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange and bizarre problem with the start of my high no Reply with quote

ianpatrickroe wrote:
... I think I was looking for some magical adjustment to fast forward to fix the problem, ...

-------------------------------------
The folks here are a wealth of knowledge and experience, but slim on 'magic'.
Don't waste time searching for miracles, build good fundamentals and things will fall into place.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a little too much pressure on the upper lip will do what you are describing. (Blipping too high). Transfer a little of that pressure to the lower... see what happens. Bear in mind, not enough pressure on the upper lip will have you blipping lower on the attack before the note centers... so it's a matter of centering it in.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s ‘the higher D’?
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stop, stop , stop... for our beginner/chop rebuilder, go out and get some face to face instruction. Trying to "solve" problems as a beginner is treacherous. Self-analysis is challenging for a mature player - as a beginner you nothing to base any conclusions nor have you established any base to work from. You're looking for anwers without knowing what the real question is.
At this rate you're heading straight into a sprial of inconsistancy and never ending speculation.

Go find an instructor
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens to me too. If I've been playing cornet for a couple of weeks and then switch to trumpet, it seems worse. Either the cornet is easier to play, or I'm just used to it.
rmch

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a teacher? A teacher can hear you, see you, and get a much better assessment of what is going on than all of us can from reading your post. That being said, something that might help you understand where that note lives is to start the note with a breath attack instead of tonguing it. Have the fingering already set and then start moving air into the horn and slowly start bringing your lips together until the note sounds. Whatever your corners, aperture, air, and tongue position are doing in the moment when it sounds is what you need to do every time in order to play that note. If you want to talk about it more, feel free to message me.
1981 LA Benge ML #3 bell
1938 Couesnon Flugel
1907 HN White Co. "King" Cornet
1977 Selmer Picc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: