• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Double tonguing 11 year old.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tboyette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:47 am    Post subject: A great double tongueing exercise for young kids! Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I've had a lot of success using what I call 'backwards mouthpiece' with my students. The mouthpiece is turned around backwards and the student places just the end between their teeth to anchor it in place. They breathe normally like they would through their corners and literally blow through the back end of the mouthpiece as if its their instrument.

For double tonguing I have them practice their 'Ku' aggressively through the backwards mouthpiece and it really helps establish that you need both air, corners support, flat chin and a relaxed upper body to remember what 'Ku' feels like when you are actually playing.

I then take that to the Clarke or Arbans book for some really slow, long, and connected 'Ku's'

I hope that helps and that I don't sound like a crazy person.

Thanks,
Travis
Rowan33

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Double tonguing 11 year old. Reply with quote

Hi Craig,
I personally started DB in 7th grade but was very bad but worked my way up. I think that you should try and make him start very slowly and then move up speed. When I started out I only did saying syllables and blowing syllables and very slowly on the lead pipe. Did this for 1 month and then played them on the trumpet. He might be rushing and creating bad habits. He could try syllables like too koo or duu guu or daa gaa. Hope this helps.
musicman1951

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think it's important to remember that Arban was French. His Ku probably sounded a lot more like coo to us than anything with a hard K sound.
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day it was tu-ku. The latest comments within the revised Arbans indicates it is more correctly tee-kee. The idea is to enunciate in the FRONT of the tongue (as mentioned above). My music teacher teaches dig-a-dig. To late to adapt to that but I mostly do...tic-a-tic-a-tic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: