• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shallow Bach Mpcs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyhorn

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Shallow Bach Mpcs Reply with quote

I there a reason why shallow Bach mouthpieces such as a 7E or maybe a 101/2E are not used as leader pieces? Thanks!
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a professional, but I have seen plenty of lead players back in college use 3Es. I do not personally use it for lead (don't like the bite on Bachs), but I have in the past. Can't speak regarding 7 or 10 1/2. I believe somebody on here said years ago that Cat Anderson played on a filed down 10 1/2C.

IMO there is such a plethora of mouthpieces available, especially lead pieces, that there are just a ton of other options to choose from and that's before talking about custom pieces.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the shallower Bach cups were intended for smaller horns like the D, Eb, etc. I also think they come standard with larger backbores. I have used and currently use Bach D and E cup mouthpieces for D, Eb, and used to use an E cup for piccolo. As a lead player, I found the sound didn't lend itself to the sound profile and projection I was after. But I do know of quite a few top players that used Bach mouthpieces to great success, as did, evidently, Timofei Dokshitzer, who I have read used a 7E. I don't think anyone can find fault with his sound.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah the 7e usually has a 117 backbore which is great for piccolo, like a selmer piccolo.

for lead playing its totally out of balance, and the result is the upper register is sharp, and the resonance in the middle register is weird so it sounds shallower than it is. You can get the 7e with other backbores and it's a fine Bb piece for someone without much lip intrusion (maybe ronald romm, jens L, Dokshitzer etc) or a lead mouthpiece for someone that needs a bit of a low alpha angle.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
trpthawaii
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buddy Childers, lead trumpet for Stan Kenton and a legendary trumpeter in the L.A. studios for decades, played a Bach 7D and sounded fine on it.

Here's an example of Buddy's playing: https://youtu.be/ep70AEzIu1g
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: