• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fusing Jazz and Transposition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Fusing Jazz and Transposition Reply with quote

I am trying to learn how to improvise this summer, as well as work on my transposition. I know that when learning improvisation it is important to play in all keys fluently as to establish the "ear horn connection" (as others on this forum have told me and I am trying to work on). In what creative ways can I work on transposition (in the classical sense) and improvisation simultaneously?

Last edited by CJceltics33 on Wed May 13, 2020 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fusing Jazz and Transposition Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
I am trying to learn how to improvise this summer, as well as work on my transposition. I know that when learning improvisation it is important to play in all keys fluently as to establish the "ear horn connection" (as others on this forum have told me and I am trying to work on). In what creative ways can I work on transposition and improvisation simultaneously?

Hugely helpful exercise: always learn every tune up and down a half step, both the head and your improv licks. Everyone can play Cherokee in Bb. If you can also play it in B and A then you're ready for action. You do that with all your tunes and you will be transposing and improvising like a champ in all 12 keys in no time.

I have a friend that transcribes entire solos - fiendishly difficult ones - and learns to play them both a half-step up and a half-step down! Talk about learning your vocabulary! Wow.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Fusing Jazz and Transposition Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
In what creative ways can I work on transposition and improvisation simultaneously?
Transcribe!! Find a solo you really dig, and figure out what they played.
It doesn't have to be the whole solo at first (or ever), could be one or two measures...
Analyze what notes/rhythm were used over that change and transpose it in all 12 keys.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are asking about transposing, too, and I don't quite understand the question. If you are reading lead sheets in concert key, you need to transpose them in your mind as you play. If it's already transposed, you play it as is. Is this what you're asking?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies thus far!

Kehaulani, I am asking about working on improvisation and transposition (in the classical sense) in the same exercise. Hopefully that clears it up.
LilJohnnieC

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Fusing Jazz and Transposition Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
Everyone can play Cherokee in Bb.

No. There are a TON of people who absolutely can NOT. Lol

I know what you were saying Turkle. I just had to say it though. Lol

To the OP. Just learn as much as you can in as many keys as you can. Don't think of it as "transposition" if you are relating it to your own improvisation. It is just learning to be as comfortable as possible playing everything in all keys. The only time, as a jazz musician, I ever think in terms of "transposition" is if I am required to play the head of a tune in a key I normally would/have not played it in.
Bach Commercial
Bach 239/25H w/ slides for C and Bb
Bach 181 long model cornets 37, 43, 72, 25 (large bore)
Bach 184 short model cornet
Bach 183 flugelhorn
Bach 3C for all
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get th question
Take a tune like solar.....
Maybe you have a transposed Bb part...work the tune, and the changes
Put the accompaniment into iRealB

Then use a concert pitch part.....work it

Then transpose iReal into another key while you look at a part in some other key, probably the concert pitch part or whatever. Transposing the changes and how you play the changes into other keys is WAY harder than simply transposing a melodic line. Working the transpositions while improvising helps a lot with transposing in the classical sense
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lipshurt wrote:
Transposing the changes and how you play the changes into other keys is WAY harder than simply transposing a melodic line. Working the transpositions while improvising helps a lot with transposing in the classical sense

This is absolutely the case! I find that transposing the changes while improvising is much more difficult than simply transposing a written-out melody line. I can do C -> Bb transposition easily because of course we have to do it so often, but others are difficult!
drboogenbroom
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transpose the head into every key. This will work classical style melodic transposition.

Play the head with embellishment in every key. This will help with fluency and kind of improv 101.

Play chord tone patterns off the changes, then put them in every key. It doesn't just have to ascending arpeggios, mix it up and keep the tones as close to each other as possible (voice leading principles) This will teach you to read and think in the qualities and functions the ink actually represents.

Don't take short cuts (unless it's pure gig prep, in which case do whatever it takes to get paid and get called back). Make your brain do the work and chip away at it a little every day.

I think this kind of work is invaluable for any musician, even if they don't have any interest in improvising for performance. A little bit of this kind of work can go a long way towards developing literacy and fluency.

Kevin

Bruno Walter
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Daley, my improv teacher in Chicago had us take a tune a week and play it
through the circle of 5ths, every key. This is great ear training. You'll find quotes and snatches of tunes slip into your solos a la Dexter Gordon.

In classical transposition terms, down a half is A, Up a half is H, up a step, C, up a third - D, up a 4th Eb, up a 5th - F, down a 4th F Alto, etc. Some people use clefs for some transpositions: ie Bass cleff for down a 3rd (A on a C trumpet)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: