• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Strange Crackling Noise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bassoontyphoon

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Strange Crackling Noise Reply with quote

For the sake of this post, let's pretend I'm doing lip slurs. I start on C in the staff and go down to G then low C with no problem. However, when I come back up I can slur just fine but it creates an odd crackling sound in my lips and in the tone. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it, I've even tried to Google a solution. What is causing this? How can I fix it? I have held the note the crackling starts on while I tried to adjust my embouchure, air, and tongue but nothing helps.

Thanks in advance! I know I seem to post every other day.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to keep the same embouchure formation as works best for the C in the staff. Do the downward slurs to achieve acceptable sound (without attempting to get 'best sound') on the lower notes. Then do the upwards slurs.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the mouthpiece... play the same exercise and gliss slowly between the notes being careful not to overshoot the pitches, and keeping the sound consistent throughout. Thinking of the balance between your air and your lip compression. Then do the same thing (with the same things in mind) without the glisses (but don't make it too jerky).

Finally, back to mouthpiece in trumpet. It may not fix it it immediately (like a band-aid), but will help overall.

You might get Jim Thompson's Buzzing Book. The exercises in the book, as well as Thompson's writing about the concepts, is absolute gold.
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: