• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Finding a replacement for an antique mouthpiece...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark5009

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Finding a replacement for an antique mouthpiece... Reply with quote

Hi, all.

Newbie here. Well, someone who has come back to the horn after far too many years not playing. Anyhow...

I inherited an antique Holton New Proportion cornet (1912) from my grandfather. It is in overall excellent condition and mostly playable though, in deference to its age I tend to let it be. So, to get my chops back into shape I picked up a Thomann CR-400, and have been pleasantly surprised with it. Certainly for the bucks it is hard to beat, but the mouthpiece is horrible.

Funny thing is the original mouthpiece from the Holton sounds excellent on Thomann. A rich full cornet sound that makes me smile. I also have a Wick 4B, which give a fine sound but I find my endurance and range more limited than with the Holton (it is marked "Frank Holton 30"). And this got me to wondering if there is a modern equivalent of the Holton?

Some basic measurements (taken with a dial caliper):

+ cup 15.7mm
+ rim 5.4mm
+ depth 14.4mm
+ bore 6.9mm

Given it's an American mouthpiece, would a Bach 11A or 11B fit the bill? Or is there something else out there that's closer?

Thanks in advance!

Schilke A2 cornet / Solista flugelhorn / Getzen 390
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about people doing this in Australia, but you can have the mouthpiece copied. There are a number of people who can do this in the US. would think there might be someone down under too.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The primary measurement for mouthpieces is the inside diameter (ID).
Cup depth is the next most important measurement. The problem is that manufacturers don't always measure the same way. Where does the rim stop and the cup begin? Then there is the matter of rim width and contour, wide and flat? narrow and rounded? sharp or soft bite?
I think you will get in the ballpark with matching the ID. Look for a deep cup (like the Wick) Something like a Yamaha 11E, Bach 7A or 10 1/2 A might work for you. Also the Bach no-letter pieces (6 or 7) are deep cup shapes, less funnel shaped. The Curry and Warburton and Stork web sites might give you some insight. http://www.currympc.com/
https://storkcustom.com/ http://www.warburton-usa.com/
mark5009

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
The Curry and Warburton and Stork web sites might give you some insight.

Many thanks!

mark5009

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
...you can have the mouthpiece copied.

Huh. Or it might be time to break out the old machinist skills and make my own. Now that's a thought.

(Sorry if this sounds a touch flippant but I have a new center lathe coming...)

cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark5009 wrote:

Huh. Or it might be time to break out the old machinist skills and make my own. Now that's a thought.
(Sorry if this sounds a touch flippant but I have a new center lathe coming...)

It must not be impossible. A number of natural trumpet players are making their own by hand from what I understand. If you are a skillful machinist already, all you need is the tools and a way to figure out the exact specs of your mouthpiece. Would not have a clue myself, but I will be curious if you try to hear how it goes.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a replacement for an antique mouthpiece... Reply with quote

mark5009 wrote:
Hi, all.

Newbie here. Well, someone who has come back to the horn after far too many years not playing. Anyhow...

I inherited an antique Holton New Proportion cornet (1912) from my grandfather. It is in overall excellent condition and mostly playable though, in deference to its age I tend to let it be. So, to get my chops back into shape I picked up a Thomann CR-400, and have been pleasantly surprised with it. Certainly for the bucks it is hard to beat, but the mouthpiece is horrible.

Funny thing is the original mouthpiece from the Holton sounds excellent on Thomann. A rich full cornet sound that makes me smile. I also have a Wick 4B, which give a fine sound but I find my endurance and range more limited than with the Holton (it is marked "Frank Holton 30"). And this got me to wondering if there is a modern equivalent of the Holton?

Some basic measurements (taken with a dial caliper):

+ cup 15.7mm
+ rim 5.4mm
+ depth 14.4mm
+ bore 6.9mm

Given it's an American mouthpiece, would a Bach 11A or 11B fit the bill? Or is there something else out there that's closer?

Thanks in advance!

Since you have the dimensions, I'm sure you could ask somebody at Wick, Curry, or Trent Austin. If they don't have something, they could probably make something for you....

keith
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark5009 wrote:
... I have a new center lathe coming...)

In this day and age I would think people would be talking about 3D printing a mouthpiece rather than turning one on a lathe.

But I am a life long metal working hobbyist myself and find a lathe much more desirable than a 3D printer. I had a Rockwell 11" lathe for many years but sold it during a move. Time to replace it now that I am retired.
mark5009

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond16 wrote:
In this day and age I would think people would be talking about 3D printing a mouthpiece rather than turning one on a lathe.

If I were to think of this as a commercial venture, then sure, CNC tooling would be the way to go. The however is anyone code draw a CAD model and get a machine to spit it out (given enough time) but to turn up a precision piece by hand? That is magic! And we all need more magic in our lives, I think.

Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you can't find just what you want in a currently made cornet mouthpiece, you might consider re-making a fluglehorn mouthpiece. They are deeper than any Bach A cup but shallower than the Wick mouthpieces.

Plenty of opportunity to use your lathe to turn down the shank. I've made some playable cornet mouthpieces from Bach fluglehorn mpcs this way that are closer to the "egg cupped" mouthpieces found with old cornets.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 6.9 bore? That's bigger than my trombone mouthpieces.

BTW the size 30 is mentioned here:

https://www.horn-u-copia.net/mouthpieces/index.php

choose Holton and screw down to 1902-1918

Last edited by delano on Fri May 15, 2020 10:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
A 6.9 bore? That's bigger than my trombone mouthpieces.

Ya, that would be huge, but I get the idea that measurement may have been taken at the end of the backbore rather than the throat.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: