• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Returning to the cornet after 35 yrs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bliv

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Returning to the cornet after 35 yrs Reply with quote

Hi all
I used to play it in high school and recently decided to buy a cheap cornet from china to learn to play again. Maybe one day i can buy something better but this will make a good starter.

Ive been playing for 4 days now approx 15 min sessions until my cheeks cramp and sound becomes ratty.
I can get from c to g no probs, and up to a mid c until cheeks tell ne theyve had enough.

I started trying to work out the notes to this last night and can play some of it but cant work out the rest of the notes as i cant see his fingerings.

Roger waters - outside the wall
https://youtu.be/BYpnW52dnzY

https://youtu.be/XkbLej-XUqQ

Is there a place i can downloasd sheet music for cornet free?
I used to play sting -russians in high school but cant find that anywhere either.

Any help appreciated.
CartersPop

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of online sites offering parts and scores for many pieces, most with offerings ranging in price from free to paid, in difficulty from simple to complex, in various keys often, in either single parts or full scores. A few:

8notes.com, musicnotes.com, musescore.com, free-scores.com

Half an hour on google should come across something you might want, less time if you focus search on a specific piece.
Conn '27 22B New York Symphony Trum
White '25 King Liberty Silver Trum
JinYin '15 Marching Bb Fr Horn
Conn '35 New Wonder 80A Corn w/m
Pan-Am '23 40I Bari
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure what your question is, but if it's for a graduated set of tunes to play, Bill Knevitt's The Developing Trumpet Player is a good collection of tunes, as well as gradual exercises to get your chops developed.

The book's lessons have several tunes in each lesson and, taken s a whole, is a good collection of tunes in one volume.

https://qpress.ca/product/developing-trumpet-player-knevitt-pdf/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Bliv

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies, it was more of an introduction but its always good to hear from the experienced players which sites are the best source.

Ie: if you was interested in radio controlled hobbies (aeromodelling) i'd suggest RCgroups as the best forum for advice.

this is the unit I bought, but in nickel
https://youtu.be/yVVd8gkQIdM

I found musicnotes.com, will give the others a try aswell thank you for the suggestions.

James Morrison's video's were pretty interesting too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGm1MAT-ttQ

In the meantime, ive bought two books - "a tune a day for trumpet" which is basically a beginners book, and "100 no1 hits for trumpet" which has a lot of good songs but most seem to involve the upper end of the scales which I'm nowhere near reaching.

so for the moment I keep playing scales from a lower C to a mid C, a little bit of the pink panther tune and when the saints go marching in (the saints is within my current range)

C-G I find reasonably easy, but the mid levels (G- mid C) take their toll on the face muscles pretty quick. I'm getting about 10-15min of playing in each session before I give it a break for a while. Sometimes I wonder if a wider mouth piece would be of benefit.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are going at it quite reasonably. Just take your time. Since you played before, some of it is just getting back in shape as you are discovering.
Go slow and have fun. A teacher could also accelerate your progress.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you are going at it quite reasonably. Just take your time. Since you played before, some of it is just getting back in shape as you are discovering.
Go slow and have fun. A teacher could also accelerate your progress.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scales and long tones, concentrating on maintaining a consistent sound and intonation. Break that up with some fun stuff like you’re doing.
Bliv

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still playing around 10-15min a day, sometimes two or three times on the weekends when I have time with a several hour gap in between to give the ol chops a bit of a rest.

but I seem to use the water key quite a lot. I feel like every few minutes im blowing air through and dumping a big pile of goo on my pants leg

I've noticed i play best when i have really wet lips and mouth piece. if i just pick up the cornet and play I cant hit any notes in a decent way.

Is there anything I can try so I don't need such moist lips, and quit drooling into the horn?
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bliv wrote:
im still playing around 10-15min a day, sometimes two or three times on the weekends when I have time with a several hour gap in between to give the ol chops a bit of a rest.

but I seem to use the water key quite a lot. I feel like every few minutes im blowing air through and dumping a big pile of goo on my pants leg

I've noticed i play best when i have really wet lips and mouth piece. if i just pick up the cornet and play I cant hit any notes in a decent way.

Is there anything I can try so I don't need such moist lips, and quit drooling into the horn?

For some reason, cornets seem to generate more water than trumpets. I’ve always found that to be the case. In fact, the cornet I play the most has 3 water keys, and I use them all...
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had times where the horn seems to fill up really fast. For me anyway it's gone away all by itself. I wouldn't worry about it. And regarding the embouchure, some folks just play better with wet lips, and there's really no point in trying to force yourself to use a dry set.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
khedger
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Returning to the cornet after 35 yrs Reply with quote

Bliv wrote:
Hi all
I used to play it in high school and recently decided to buy a cheap cornet from china to learn to play again. Maybe one day i can buy something better but this will make a good starter.

Ive been playing for 4 days now approx 15 min sessions until my cheeks cramp and sound becomes ratty.
I can get from c to g no probs, and up to a mid c until cheeks tell ne theyve had enough.

I started trying to work out the notes to this last night and can play some of it but cant work out the rest of the notes as i cant see his fingerings.

Roger waters - outside the wall
https://youtu.be/BYpnW52dnzY

https://youtu.be/XkbLej-XUqQ

Is there a place i can downloasd sheet music for cornet free?
I used to play sting -russians in high school but cant find that anywhere either.

Any help appreciated.

Warren Vache has some pretty good fundamental lessons on YouTube.....just do a search....

keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: