• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Lost" my embouchure

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilktone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: "Lost" my embouchure Reply with quote

I think we could do better for trumpetplayer20 if we take a step back from our advice.

trumpetplayer20 wrote:
Over the past month and a half, my embouchure has been feeling more and more different each passing day. I don't know how or why this happened, but I forgot how I used to play before. I looked at videos of me playing before to try and replicate my old embouchure, but my embouchure still feels different. Does anyone have any tips? I'm really at a loss here.

As was already suggested, there's not enough information. The above recommendations might be good, or they might be way off. We're all making assumptions based on what worked for us and any students we might happen to have had.

That said, I have one thought that is based on your post from another topic, trumpetplayer20:

Quote:
Whenever I articulate, my lower lip, specifically inside the mouthpiece, starts to move. How can I maintain a consistent embouchure, and what are some good exercises to maintain embouchure consistency across registers?

A month earlier you posted this question in another topic and then posted that your embouchure has been feeling different day to day a month later here. Don't you think it's possible that the inconsistent embouchure technique is related to an inconsistent embouchure feel? Why didn't you post this information for us in this topic?

I don't know exactly what you're doing or not doing that is making it harder for you to keep things consistent. Sometimes these sort of things are the cause of a problem and sometimes they're a symptom of something else. Without watching a video of you playing no one here is going to be able to give you anything more than general advice. Anything specific is a shot in the dark.

Dave
trumpetplayer20

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the great advice and for offering to help! I really appreciate it! I have reached out to a teacher, and I am waiting to hear back. I have been working through a couple exercises in the Schlossberg book as recommended by Turkle. The blocked buzzing exercise on embouchures.com has helped tremendously, as I am seeing more consistency and strength in my embouchure. For fun, I have also been playing the Bohme Concerto so I don't mentally wear myself out with embouchure troubles, although it has done a number on my chops!
In response to Wilktone, I do think that you're right in that my embouchure issues were related to an inconsistent feel. However, when I put the mouthpiece up now, it's gradually becoming more natural. Thanks once again for the tips and exercises! I really appreciate it, and I'll reach out if I have further questions.
Grayman470

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
What you should NOT be doing:

1. Lip slurs.

2. Lip buzzing.

These are high effort excercises. You need to let the sound return within low effort. Not try to "effort" it back.

Contact me for help.

I tend to avoid lip slurs and free lip buzzing for the same reasons as well. However, I enjoy mouthpiece buzzing.
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I over did it several days in a row. ...playing some difficult things (Saint Jacome). I had difficulty getting out notes. Played short periods of time below C in the staff and lots of low notes. Then took a day off. Still not good. I keep my lips smeared with chapstick and alovira and now coconut oil. Still not good. Lips are a mess. Any advice except what I am doing?

I know this is not forever
Grayman470

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adc wrote:
I over did it several days in a row. ...playing some difficult things (Saint Jacome). I had difficulty getting out notes. Played short periods of time below C in the staff and lots of low notes. Then took a day off. Still not good. I keep my lips smeared with chapstick and alovira and now coconut oil. Still not good. Lips are a mess. Any advice except what I am doing?

I know this is not forever

I think it might be good to take a break. Twice I took a month or two long break from trumpet and the rest allowed the lips to fix the nodes on their own (I had permanent indents in the shape of my mouthpiece on the inner lip). Try taking a month off and then slowly easing back into it. It somewhat worked for me.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on it is, yeah taking private lessons is a good move. But giving some simple advice here online can also be helpful. Sure, it's hit or miss, but so are private lessons, even with good teachers.

We musicians should never be afraid to try something new and experiment when we practice. Everyone seems to be so worried about "screwing themselves up" or following some bad advice ruining their chops. It's not that big of a deal. If you can learn bad habits you can learn good habits also. I also think bad habits are not as hard to break as some people think.

Try everything and see what works! You don't really have much to lose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: