• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure Efficiency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryWilson

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Embouchure Efficiency Reply with quote

Would there be any advantage to using a larger mouthpiece than normal...during warm up and occasional practice routines...to improve embouchure efficiency?
Yamaha YTR 8335 Gen I Xeno (Back up horn)
Yamaha Bobby Shew Flugel
Leblanc Paris C
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by 'embouchure efficiency'?
Are you striving to increase endurance - i.e. having more good playing duration before your chops get tired?

My guess is that sensible practice using your regular mouthpiece is best.
Your lip muscles might become stronger by using a oversized mouthpiece, but perhaps also reduce the precise skill and control when using the regular mouthpiece.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
BarryWilson

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Embouchure Efficiency Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
What do you mean by 'embouchure efficiency'?
Are you striving to increase endurance - i.e. having more good playing duration before your chops get tired?

My guess is that sensible practice using your regular mouthpiece is best.
Your lip muscles might become stronger by using a oversized mouthpiece, but perhaps also reduce the precise skill and control when using the regular mouthpiece.

Jay

Endurance would, indeed, be helpful. Some years ago a teacher looked at my embouchure through a visualizer and said I needed to get my lips closer together. That may no longer be a problem because I've been aware of it for some years now. Many thanks, Jay.
Yamaha YTR 8335 Gen I Xeno (Back up horn)
Yamaha Bobby Shew Flugel
Leblanc Paris C
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's not impossible it's not something I'd advocate for. If you think of the embouchure in terms of strength above all else then perhaps a case could be made for time on a big piece. But in my experience embouchure is much more about refinement, and playing a piece that's otherwise too big is just as likely to lead to chop confusion and hinder growth.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
BobList
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I double on beginner trombone a few minutes each day, it seems to help my chops a little bit. I would experiment with that, a MUCH larger piece and a whole different horn doesn't mess with me. I don't think I would try a bigger trumpet mouthpiece on the same trumpet ..... too many ways to mess me up. Maybe try Flugelhorn to see how you react to it?
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Embouchure Efficiency Reply with quote

BarryWilson wrote:
Would there be any advantage to using a larger mouthpiece than normal...during warm up and occasional practice routines...to improve embouchure efficiency?

Probably not that much. A lot depends upon your level of experience. And I don't buy that warning,
"Watch out! You might ruin your embouchure by playing different mouthpieces".

Silliness. As if this really was a major concern, then how do we explain those trumpet players who double on trombone? As nothing is so far apart as a switch back and forth between these two radically different mouthpieces.

My general rule is that I tend to improve the fastest when I stay with the mouthpiece I'm most familiar with. And this concept applies doubly for range

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have never really done that. I sometimes do the opposite- if I am struggling to find my nice sounding upper register, or feel that I am working too hard, perhaps too much tension in my embouchure, I will put in my super shallow and tight mouthpiece to feel how easy and "not high" the upper register is. The lead piece encourages relaxation and less force. After just a couple minutes on the lead piece I will go back to my deeper and more open mouthpiece and feel much better for it. This is all during practice, not on a gig.
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do this and have done this for years.

There are some people who feel switching mouthpiece rim diameters is a problem for their embouchure, some who don't. Personally, I play on pretty shallow mouthpieces with a rim diameter of about a Bach 5. On occasion, I will practice on the biggest mouthpiece I own (Bach 1B), just for giggles. I'd caution you that switching between radically different sizes can be a problem when going back to a shallower mouthpiece during the same session. And yes, it taxes your muscles much more and you have to be careful not to press. For the record, I also double on trombone (and when I say double, I mean I've been playing both for over a decade). There is absolutely some benefit to buzzing on a radically larger mouthpiece like that as well, since it works different muscles groups.

All in all, rather than buying a different mouthpiece, since the main advantage is muscle building and focusing your airstream, I'd just try to do isometric exercises or free lip buzzing. Couple that with some Clarke studies at sotto voce to tighten your aperture.

In the end, try it and see how it affects you. I mainly do it because I think it's fun (trumpet playing is supposed to be fun... I think I heard that somewhere). If you struggle after a few weeks, at least you know what your problem is and how to fix it lol.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had some success practicing on slightly smaller diameter equipment for the soft , low, fine control excercises. And then using slightly larger and deeper for the calesthenic work, such as Caruso.

Then perform on the preferred "middle" mouthpiece or even the larger one depending on the performance required.

It gives good results for me.
soulfire
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kalijah wrote:
I have had some success practicing on slightly smaller diameter equipment for the soft , low, fine control excercises. And then using slightly larger and deeper for the calesthenic work, such as Caruso.

Then perform on the preferred "middle" mouthpiece or even the larger one depending on the performance required.

It gives good results for me.

Right on, same here. I liken it to practicing with a doughnut (for the baseball players here). When you take that weight off, man can you whip your bat around.

I don't do this every day mind you. But it is a fun work out to do on occasion.
kalijah
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Just occasionally for me too.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just for grins I tried a tuba mouthpiece on a cornet. Shocker, it doesn't work that well. I couldn't even complete a single octave of a major scale.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: