• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Corona virus/COVID-19 & community band

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spit valve

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Corona virus/COVID-19 & community band Reply with quote

Our community band has not been able to practice for two months, and the church where we practice is closed until September. This means that for at least five months there will be no practice.

A good number (maybe 35%) of our members are "seniors" so I have some concern that it may not be advisable for them to return in the current environment. Also, if the the prohibition on large gatherings continues we won't be able to assemble to practice and we won't be able to hold concerts with 100+ in attendance.

1. How long can the band "hold together" under these conditions? Do you have any experience that might shed light on this question?

2. What is your community band doing to keep interest up at this time?

The trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: corona virus/covid 19 and community band Reply with quote

Boy, you reminded me that the city band I used to play in would have a nice concert and some speaking in their Chautauqua Park on Memorial Day. I will have to call my brother to see if they are going to play. This would be, I believe, the 127th year of their existence. I feel for ya not being able to get together for practice. Some day soon the music will play, the voices of each instrument will sing out!!
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My community band is planning on restarting in early July. Like the OPs band, mine has a large percentage of senior members. Rehearsal venue is still a question. Whether or not some planned concerts will actually happen is a question as well.

Jim
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play in a 20 member church orchestra that accompanies a 60 voice choir. Obviously we have not met in quite some time either. The church opened its doors this past Sunday for the first time with a single service and best practices in place for seating, spacing, wipe downs etc. I think the contemporary worship guitar player and a couple vocalists led some of that genre worship songs.

The orchestra director approached the church staff about the possibility of small instrumental ensembles to play offertories and preludes in light of the fact that the full traditional church musical group will not be able to get together for the foreseeable future. They were very excited about this opportunity to bring instrumental music back into the service.

Perhaps community groups could break into smaller ensembles that allow for more space between musicians. Performances may have to be impromptu (show up in a public park unannounced?) to avoid the congregating of more the "X" number of attendees.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our two bands (east and west side of the city) also fit the pattern. Mostly 50+ with a few youngsters scattered in. We practice at city facilities/community centers.

We have been having two zoom meetings a week with some local pro musicians on a variety of topics and also to stay connected.

I have missed a few recently due to other commitments (no, really !)

I will say that right at the start of the year a problem developed that turned out to be a herniated disc in my neck, which has prevented me from holding the instrument or being in a proper playing posture, so I have set the horn aside for a while to heal. I do some light buzzing here and there and some very short periods of soft long tones just to keep the lips a little pliable.

Things are starting to settle down in my neck, so hoping by the time things restart I'll be able to play again.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man. So sorry to hear about that. I guess this is one of those things that only heals with time, or did you require surgery?

I always shake my head at Peyton Manning's decision to continue playing football after his neck surgery. Obviously it worked out for him but what a risk management decision! I'm guessing you had some similar thoughts when the desire to play became strong.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have so far managed to avoid surgery. There is a non-zero chance I will go ahead with a cortisone shot into the disc, but hoping to avoid that as well.

It has gotten to the point where the inflammation is down a lot, so if I can avoid irritating it long enough to get some healing (18+ months) it should more or less go back to normal, within the bounds of good taste as they apply to a man in his late 50's.

Bad sleeping/pillow position is the most immediate trigger day by day, but of course avoiding any kind of traumatic injury or even over-exertion while also attempting to rehab some strength into the supporting musculature is going to be the long term determinant.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play with a 70 pc. (or so) band. Mixed ages, not too many really older people. We rehearse at a school. I don't know if the school will ever let us back.

Everybody in the band still has their music because of the way things ended. If somehow we do get together again, will we ever get enough music back to perform it again? I'll bet I have 20 or so pieces. A big loss to the band to lose those arrangements.

I can't see the band playing again but, who knows.

Now, what about the professional bands? My gigs are being cancelled about a month ahead. I don't see that coming back any time soon.

What about a band like the NYP or BSO?
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: Corona virus/COVID-19 & community band Reply with quote

Spit valve wrote:
Our community band has not been able to practice for two months, and the church where we practice is closed until September. This means that for at least five months there will be no practice.

A good number (maybe 35%) of our members are "seniors" so I have some concern that it may not be advisable for them to return in the current environment. Also, if the the prohibition on large gatherings continues we won't be able to assemble to practice and we won't be able to hold concerts with 100+ in attendance.

1. How long can the band "hold together" under these conditions? Do you have any experience that might shed light on this question?

2. What is your community band doing to keep interest up at this time?

I play in three bands, brassband plus two big bands. Neither band has been rehearsing since beginning of March.....The big bands are 1) a swingband that essentially is a follow up of a very successful swingband started already late 1968....we had a regular gig every Monday during 9 years - then the band turned into a more modern band; this means that, the guys in the present band are 70+, with the exeption of 2 players. The last years the band has become sort of an "enterprise" meeting every third week - concert coming up mid October - but I seriously doubt that this will happen - and fear that the band will "cease to be". Already we are short of a pianoman, and a second alto - difficult to find guys wanting to play these old scores (Stampede, Cotton Tail, Song of India etc)+ scores being rather difficult..2)a more modern big band, main orientation "the great american songbook. Already two concerts with the music of the "Ratpackers. " has been cancelled. The mean age is around 70..... 3)the brassband where many of us are oldies, well above 70 but we have youngsters too and they have been playing if not rehearsing.

So in all this is a fatal blow to the musical scene.......Listening to the head epidemologist of WHO does not give any hope at all.....he predicted another year going in the same direction.
Personally I try to practice every day - am in pretty good shape I think. Using the time to re-learn and update my playing over all, focussing on breathing, sluring, high register. But sometimes it´s hard to mobilize the motivation. Main thing keeping me going is that at my age, still playing lead/front row I just can´t afford a longer lay off which would make the road back too cumbersome. As I am quarantined at our cottage in a lake&forest district I mix felling trees, updating the housing facilities, and practicing 3-4 times a day.
The concept grit seems relevant..... perseverance, endurance, stamina not mention patience.....

Maybe this could be looked upon as a "stress test".....which bands/guys will appear at the end of the tunnel????
I find it worthwile to mail funny or awesome clips to the bands - the fanfare by Copland one of them. "Oughta cheer up the poor devils.." Mending/minding the social links is necessary, I think.

What are your ways&means???
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Fri May 29, 2020 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our band did one of those multi-part video projects, where each member recorded a video playing their part. The video is still in post production. Anyway, it was fun preparing it and having a goal to aim for.
Piccolo Stomvi
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Things the same in the UK. I play in a brass band, community light orchestra and symphony orchestra. The symphony orchestra is only on for two terms each year (coinciding with the UK school terms). We start back at the beginning of September, focusing mainly on one symphony, but also practicing other shorter classical pieces, performing the symphony in its entirety in the band room in our civvies on the last rehearsal before Christmas, as an informal run through for friends and family, followed by mince pies. We then start back in January, practising just the orchestra's favourite movement of the symphony, and mainly concentrating on the shorter pieces, ready for an end of season Easter concert in a church, the proceeds split between the orchestra and church.

This year the Easter concert, which was due to take place on Monday 23rd March, didn't happen. Neither did the community light orchestra concert on Friday 20th March, or an orchestral play day on Friday 27th March, with an orchestra that gets together a few times a year to do the occasional concert but mainly play through days, and all were cancelled in a matter of days. First the community light orchestra concert and all rehearsals for the foreseeable future were cancelled on Sunday 15th March, on Monday 16th March, the symphony orchestra play through concert was cancelled and the season ended abruptly, and all brass band rehearsals were put on hold.

I've playing everyday at home since. I've been putting in some good practise and I'm happier with my playing than before, but I'm really missing my bands and orchestras, and have absolutely no idea when they will be returning. The community light orchestra practices on a Tuesday morning during school term times (I have no idea why only during school term times, as I am the only member with school age children). Most of the players are retired, with there being only one younger member than me, and I'm 46, and with a few people in their 80s, I imagine that the average age is 70. Will players in this age group have the confidence to return to rehearsals when lockdown is over?

The average age of the symphony orchestra members is younger, but there are still quite a few members over 70, including most of the committee. We are hoping to get at least one term of playing in and to do the Easter concert in the church.

Regarding the brass band, we have produced one compilation video so far, are planning another, hoping to do a last night of the proms concert in September, but wondering whether we will be back rehearsing in time for Remembrance Day in November or even Christmas.

I'm completely fed up to be honest. Bands and orchestras are my only hobby, and driving to band /orchestra rehearsals a few times a week, with weekend concerts, has been a big part of my life for over 25 years. If feels very strange to be playing only at home. After the initial shock to my system, I didn't mind, as on a personal front, my life has been manic for the last few years, and I was overdue needing to slow down. My Father-in-Law died last June, my Mother-in-Law has been ill, and with my husband being their only child, my husband and me have been very busy looking after my Mother-in-Law, who lived for us for quite sometime. She became more ill, went into hospital followed by going into care around one month ago, my youngest child has been off school, and my middle one with learning difficulties only returned to school on a part-time basis a few weeks ago, so life has been unusually quiet.

I've had my break, am wanting to get back to my rehearsals, and am fed up of the complete uncertainty regarding when rehearsals will be able to start again.

I guess that most of us are in the same boat.

I hope that everyone keeps safe and remains well.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Corona virus/covid-19 and community band Reply with quote

All people make good and valid comments. We can have all the productive practices alone in the world, but human beings are meant to do things together. The thing that has taught me patience through all of this is knowing with a certainty that returning to quickly and catching this stuff could be fatal (I'm 70) and no one wants it or needs it so I just "tell" myself to be patient. How great it will be when each of you has your first concert or performance back after this stuff settles down!
harry-pedler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
. A big loss to the band to lose those arrangements.

It's disheartening to me that members would not turn the music back in if they decide not to return.

Our small community band has been called off since March, and we would now be on our summer break. We practice in the basement of a Church. Most members are 60 +.

Massachusetts has been hard hit by the virus. I don't expect the band to play again until next year, due to the severity of the "spread" and the ages of the members.

We have 12-14 members depending (4 Flutes!)
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My community band is currently not active - and no word yet when/if we might start again.

I also play with a local college group that has band as part of a 'for credit' course - no word about whether that will continue when the 2020-2021 school year begins.
To finish the current year we recorded our parts with the intention of the director being able to overlay them into a usable form. I haven't heard the final results yet, but it seems possible for a piece that has a steady tempo.

I've been giving thought (fantasizing?) about doing some public solo playing - just to entertain people. It would be familiar ballads and dixieland standards. Does anyone have experience or advise to offer? Maybe I'll start by playing for the neighborhood folks who walk by ... perhaps the howling of the dogs will be an indicator.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

I've been giving thought (fantasizing?) about doing some public solo playing - just to entertain people. It would be familiar ballads and dixieland standards. Does anyone have experience or advise to offer? Maybe I'll start by playing for the neighborhood folks who walk by ... perhaps the howling of the dogs will be an indicator.

Jay

A friend of mine, retired music educator/accomplished flutist/very social person, has used her musical contacts to set up a series of weekly backyard concerts at her home. I have not been able to attend (yet) but the pictures she has posted show neighbors in lawn chairs, guitarists/keyboardists/(even a drummer?) providing some low key entertainment and everyone seemingly having a good time.

Several years ago I partnered with a clarinetist and we played in a couple elementary school lunchrooms where we had friends who were teachers. Being in the same key, there were several duet books we could work out of... from pop tunes, movie themes to simple classical arrangements. What I remember from that experience is my chops had a hard time continuously playing for over an hour! (but the kids especially enjoyed the Star Wars tunes....) Point being, simple duets should be easily accomplished in a socially distanced setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: