• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Sore throat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rick.willoughby@cox.net

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Sore throat Reply with quote

Greetings from the Arizona Desert! I am on the comeback and have been for about a year. My range is coming back nicely and I am enjoying practicing perhaps too much. I am getting a recurring sore throat and I am looking for some clarity on a solution. One weekend I practiced for a total of maybe 6-8+ hours over 2 days. I wonder am I putting in too many hours or doing something to cause this? A couple of recovery days were very uncomfortable...
Yamaha 631G Flugelhorn
XO 1624 Trumpet
Phaeton PHTP-3000 Pocket Trumpet
64 Olds Special Tri Color Cornet
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really difficult to say.

It could be:

- Dry air + practicing a lot, as you suggest
- Fumes from the valve oil (I had this problem a lot in my youth until I found an odorless one)
- Your instrument needs to get cleaned
- Seasonal allergies
- Any number of non-trumpet things
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Denny Schreffler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent a PM

-Denny
Bill_Bumps
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to find myself extremely hoarse after practicing, to the extent that no one could understand me when I spoke.

Eventually, I realized that I was blowing from the back of my throat -- compressing the air at the back of my mouth -- instead of blowing from the diaphragm, the way I should have been doing.

Not saying that's what you're doing, but it might be woth considering.
rbeasley

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine it's a technique issue. It's pretty easy to engage the throat while playing as a means of trying to "push" the air, if you will. I have experienced throat discomfort from time to time while playing, and just have to remind myself to relax the throat and let the power come from the core. Best of luck in working to resolve your issue.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's related to a neck puff you could try the neck puff eradication exercises ln pages 69 - 70 in the book "The Encyclopedia of the Pivot System" by the late Dr Donald Reinhardt. These really work at holding in a neck puff.

You know, assuming that your throat is stretching due to air pressure within the body. You had mentioned that your range is coming back nicely. As such that kinda set off a red flag in my mind. Practicing high notes by it's very nature really amps up the PSI within the throat. Remember how you always used to hear your band director or teacher to tell you to,

"Play with and open throat", right?

Well in the case of a neck puff that starts causing throat pain you most definitely don't want to play with THAT amount of openness in your throat lol.

I fixed my own expanding throat a long time ago but it takes periodic maintenance.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
c cup
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there can be many reasons for a sore throat from trumpet playing. But I would recommend gargling with warm salt water several times a day if you are having issues. It can give you some pretty quick relief in many cases.

DB
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking as a physician. There is a lot of misinformation about various parts of the body, and how they impact the trumpet. Certain things we believe are physiologically impossible. This is especially true about the tongue, throat, and diaphragm.

A "sore throat" can mean many things. One cause not mentioned so far is that a hoarse or scratchy throat after playing could easily be from acid reflux. I will add that in a person with certain risk factors, a number of serious problems medical problems should also be considered and should evaluated by a physician.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
joeylimes69

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I always abide by the axiom, "more and you're sore"

All jokes aside, I don't think trumpet playing would make your throat sore. This might be from some other extenuating circumstances. Keep having fun! It is definitely a great mindset to be in.

The last time I had that much fun was playing Brandenburg second concerto with the ASYO (American Samoa Youth Orchestra) under the direction of David Robertson. Dinkin flicka.

Best,

JL
Thein Piccolo Bb/A with a G-set
Yamaha Ansel Norris Custom 17/S backbore
Picc Piece: Yamaha Eric Miyashiro Custom 22/117
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: