• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

"Star Wars" (1977) LSO Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 8:40 am    Post subject: "Star Wars" (1977) LSO Trumpets Reply with quote

There has been a rumor about the use of Eb Schilke trumpets used by the London Symphony for the original Star Wars film score. Well, finally here's a nice high res transfer of some film footage from that very day. Looks like an Olds Recording in Bb in the hands of Maurice Murphy to me. I can't tell but I don't think anyone else in the row is using a smaller horn.

Williams even mentions him by name here, great little moment. Starts at around 1:30. Great video to watch in its entirely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g2LNSUowHc&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0dlcWpzuD5EseGa_UnJFwTM_rGNdwf2B7bwwtaz76LsHqmgwoClYBcDTQ

Thread killer.
Vince.Green
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting, great stuff
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Snell was known to play a Schilke Eb whenever possible as the LSO principal trumpet player... well before the LSO recorded "Star Wars." IMO, in the pre-Internet age the rumor gained traction that the LSO traditionally played Eb's, when in fact it was just one particular player.
kramergfy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nieuwguyski wrote:
Howard Snell was known to play a Schilke Eb whenever possible as the LSO principal trumpet player... well before the LSO recorded "Star Wars." IMO, in the pre-Internet age the rumor gained traction that the LSO traditionally played Eb's, when in fact it was just one particular player.

Yep, that totally makes sense. The good days when the world was a lot bigger, and info like this was passed around the massive sewing circle. I think that's why I am so fascinated with history like this; the reality ends up being much different than what people come to believe over decades of a common mistake.

I also can't help but imagine part of the reason the rumor lasted so long was because of the clarity and precision the trumpets have in that score; so the only way to reason with it was to assume that it was performed on a smaller, more secure and brighter instrument. Especially considering it was the first score of it's kind back in '77, and there was no prereq for this style, and I bet the LSO had all of 30 minutes if that, to browse the score before the red light went on. Mind numbing how much talent that takes.

Thread killer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Recordings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: