• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Decent fake book - difficult

View previous topic :: View next topic  
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:10 pm    Post subject: Decent fake book - difficult Reply with quote

I'm looking for something to work on that is real music - could be movie themes, show tunes, jazz standards. Ideally very close to the original parts (same difficulty level). Neighbors are getting tired of Arban

Anyone have any recommendations? Preferably a big book of tunes.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here:

www.bobroetker.com

Look for his e-mail address and inquire about his fake books in Bb and concert versions. If he still has them he will give you a link.

George
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of the online fake books, but it would be worth it to just buy the real book (in Bb if just playing or in C if you want to work on transposition). I found that I knew a few dozen of the songs from movies, etc. and then I've been adding to that. It's been a great way to get some jazz exposure.

The reddit trumpet group also has a "blow down" each month with one classical piece and one jazz piece. It's a pretty great way to get a start on popular music. You'd already have a dozen tunes to start with.
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found fake books a bit unsatisfying. I'm playing by myself, and I get the feeling that everything would be a bit better with at least a piano. A lot of jazz really needs the group around it to be satisfying. Many of the fakebook tunes make no sense at all alone.

However, recently I discovered a series called The Great American Songbook, and though the music isn't as sophisticated, it's structured more like something you can do alone, maybe like singing around the house, and if there was an extra instrument that would be nice, but not essential. It might be worth getting one to see if it works for you as a base to work off. The difference is subtle, but it's working for me.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoustoufle - I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if you're looking for a combo accompaniment, are you familiar with Band in a Box?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
epoustoufle - I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if you're looking for a combo accompaniment, are you familiar with Band in a Box?

Hey kehaulani - I'm not looking for accompaniment. I was thinking more like key themes in movies or TV shows. Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Cagney and Lacey, CHiPs theme, etc.

Ideally with the main theme, the love theme etc. like a show tune overture. All for solo trumpet and playable as a complete work rather than excerpts.

There's tons of movies with catchy trumpet parts. I can play snippets from memory but would love to learn the notes and rattle through them (eventually!).
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That clarifies things, thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there is Wikifonia .. something like 7000 popular jazz etc tunes. The site is offline but the download is still out there. You need to use Musescore or similar to open the files. One thing I like about it is since it is an XML encoding of the pitch/rhythm and not just a scan, you can easily transpose to any key.
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epoustoufle wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

Hey kehaulani - I'm not looking for accompaniment. I was thinking more like key themes in movies or TV shows. Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Cagney and Lacey, CHiPs theme, etc.

Ideally with the main theme, the love theme etc. like a show tune overture. All for solo trumpet and playable as a complete work rather than excerpts.

There's tons of movies with catchy trumpet parts. I can play snippets from memory but would love to learn the notes and rattle through them (eventually!).

My mom had a book like this for piano (ring binder with something like 1000 songs). If it's just for your edification, I would buy a piano or violin songbook and see how much you can play on trumpet. In better days, you could probably just go to a local music store and ask what they have.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: