• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tone Keeps Breaking Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyhorn

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Tone Keeps Breaking Up Reply with quote

I’m a comeback player after about a 12 year hiatus. Problem is my tone keeps crackling and breaking up. I’m doing all the fundamental exercises such as long tones, simple scales both slurred and tongued, slurred intervals, and very simple tonguing exercises. The problem remains remains regardless of the exercise. Upper register is limited to E above middle C and notes of the lower register barely speak at all. Using slight pivot too! Any tips? Thank!
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be patient with yourself, and make sure you stay relaxed and let the vibrations happen unencumbered by strain, mouthpiece pressure, and tension in the body. When you start to feel fatigued, put the horn down and go back to it another time. Be patient.
happyhorn

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just finished this practice session. Now I normally rest as much as I play. But this session was absolutely terrible. I couldn't maintain a tone most of the time. I could play a C scale down but not up. Best I could get was E above middle C. I recorded a brief sound clip but I don't know how to post it. If anyone knows how to do it here in the forum, let me know and I'll try it.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not upload directly to Trumpet Herald. To post audio or video clips you must upload them to 3rd parts sites then post links for them here. Look around on the TH for examples of useful hosting sites.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you studying with a teacher? If not, I'd say that this is a big sign you should start working with one if at all possible.

That said, here are a few thoughts related to your sound breaking up and range (which are likely related):

Rest as much as you practice is a useful maxim, but it is still possible to practice too much. You may be doing so, and thus tearing down instead of building up. Take a day off, and then scale way back for a few days: practice for 5 minutes, rest for 5-10 minutes, and then practice for 5 minutes again. Do that 2-3 times per day -- no more than that! -- for 5-6 days and see if you start noticing an improvement. If so, you may just have been over-practicing. You need to be patient!

You might consider ignoring range "limitations" for a while. Focus on building a really solid foundation at whatever range you are comfortable with before you strive/strain to go higher. Then gradually build up from there. If middle C is comfortable that could be a good starting point for you. Play exercises that top off at middle C for a few days/weeks, then move up to D once those exercises feel easy. Continue in this manner up to Eb, E, F....as each note starts to feel easy. Long tones, flexibility studies, Clarke technical studies, scales, basic etudes, etc.

Edit: Also, you said that you were doing things that were "easy." That's a relative term. Don't fixate on how "easy" something should be. What was "easy" for you 12 years ago is probably a major challenge now. Just focus on building from whatever point you are comfortable at.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dayton on Tue May 26, 2020 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation described by the OP is typical of a new comeback player. Striving for range before redeveloping the embouchure muscle strength and control that is needed.

It will take a while to regain that strength and control, but it will come in a fairly short time with practice and not overworking yourself.
Concentrate on 'good playing' of the notes that you can manage, and slowly add more notes both up and down. Remember that playing those notes is both muscle and SKILL, if you try doing it with all muscle you'll get into trouble.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

happyhorn wrote:
Well I just finished this practice session. Now I normally rest as much as I play. But this session was absolutely terrible. I couldn't maintain a tone most of the time. I could play a C scale down but not up. Best I could get was E above middle C. I recorded a brief sound clip but I don't know how to post it. If anyone knows how to do it here in the forum, let me know and I'll try it.

Don't practice ANYTHING except for getting a good tone. If that means just playing one note play just one note. Don't run through a well-intentioned series of exercises when you aren't happy with how they are going. Like Jay said, build in both directions but only slowly building one note at a time with good sounding and good feeling notes.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/warm-ups-and-studies-sheet-music/18492020?utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&gclid=CjwKCAjw_LL2BRAkEiwAv2Y3SeyCToKk1Kv-6NSqvSKhqmRPBzsh9Z9zk-kLM0gTo7gJiDJhu9pkyhoCUckQAvD_BwE&d=sem_sidecar&d=sem_sidecar&d=sem_ggl_{campaign_id}_&popup=false&popup=false&utm_source=google&ac=1&country_code=USA&sc_intid=18492020&scid=scplp18492020

Stamp warmups have done wonders for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: