• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

No Cornets for Beginners?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbeknownst to me, at the time, my granddaughter started trumpet 3 1/2 years ago. When I found out I discovered that initially they rent the instrument with the option of buying. The cost was high. I immediately went on ebay and bought a Conn Cornet. It was the same model as I has back in the day.

One thing led to another..I started playing again and purchased a couple more horns. I started fixing them up and gave them to schools.

Due to peer pressure she wanted a Trumpet. So I bought one on ebay. Just a cheap Conn bc it was obvious that she will never become very good...she won't take lessons.

Then yer younger brother decided to play. I gave him a cornet. He is still happy with it after a year or so.

Of course ion the process I started collecting cornets. Mainly vintage..before 1920. But I have newer ones:

Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at that collection and know I'm just a piker...
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spitvalve wrote:
I look at that collection and know I'm just a piker...

Just bc you may not have a similar collection certainly does not affect your playing ability. If I played more and collected less I'd be a better player and have more $$$

But I am glad I did it bc in the process it led me to my Strad 184G and my Conn 36A. Its also fun to play the others off and on.
Beyond16
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: No Cornets for Beginners? Reply with quote

Comeback wrote:
Two of my grandsons, who are both in 5th grade, are wanting to play trumpet. When I was in 5th grade 57 years ago it was not uncommon for a beginner to start on a cornet. My grandsons’ teachers are insisting they start on trumpet. Grandpa is not going to counsel otherwise, but does anyone know why cornets have fallen out of favor?

I was happy to see my child's middle school recommends cornets for beginners: "It is suggested that young students start on Cornets rather than Trumpets because they are smaller and lighter for their growing hands."
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the USA - what happened to the cornets?
Beginning in 1960, name all of the cornet players you saw on TV or playing in the brass sections of famous bands or even heard some place ... OK Bobby Hackett ... next ... No hurry - I'm retired ...

Beginning in 1960 name all of the trumpet players you saw on TV, playing in the brass sections of famous bands, and advertising for a manufacturers ...
Slow down ... Louis, Harry, Doc, Maynard, Al, Herb, Dizzy, Miles, Bill, Bobby, I don't remember their names but all the players on Lawrence Welk - a one and a two... Slow down I can't keep up ...

Oh - remind me again of all the cornet players you saw - Bobby Hackett and ... OK maybe Leonard Smith since we all used "Treasury of Scales for Band and Orchestra" and perhaps our clarinet playing band director gave us his copy of Leonard Smith Plays Cornet so we would know what "Maid of the Mist" was supposed to sound like - but other than that ...
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave one of my nephews a nice 1960s Conn Director cornet when he began band in school. It was a much better instrument than the one he was planning on using, and he played it into high school (playing 1st part) before getting a trumpet.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Cooper wrote:
Oh - remind me again of all the cornet players you saw - Bobby Hackett and ... OK maybe Leonard Smith since we all used "Treasury of Scales for Band and Orchestra" and perhaps our clarinet playing band director gave us his copy of Leonard Smith Plays Cornet so we would know what "Maid of the Mist" was supposed to sound like - but other than that ...

Leonard Smith's Detroit Concert Band continued performing through the 1970s - actually had surprisingly large turnouts for summer concerts. In the cornet section: Byron Autrey.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Bwat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adc wrote:
Just bc you may not have a similar collection certainly does not affect your playing ability. If I played more and collected less I'd be a better player and have more $$$

Life's too short for this type of good mannered self deprecation, you're an inspiration - end of, full-stop, period! Would you really be a much better player if you went back and rescheduled your life, I mean who can play every waking hour anyway? We all have downtime from the instrument. Some, like you, seem to use that time productively. I'm a busy man with many interests and a young family but even I have time which is wasted. I've got space where I could put just such a shrine as well.
AJCarter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Andy Cooper wrote:

Leonard Smith's Detroit Concert Band continued performing through the 1970s - actually had surprisingly large turnouts for summer concerts. In the cornet section: Byron Autrey.

More than just Byron in that section.. my former teacher Gordon Simmons was also in that section. has a great story about how Leonard Smith was hassling them one day and he finally went off on him for being unreasonable. Told me they all used Bach 37 long cornets.. I've used that horn on many gigs.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Byron always used one of 3 King Silvertones he had - had a stubborn streak when it came to being told what to do!

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
gunnarerikc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm going to get it for this, but here it goes. Let's face it, Trumpets are cooler than Coronets. Kids want to play what's cool. That being said, the demand for Coronets have (probably) waned.
"If I could Play like Wynton Marsalis I would without a doubt, 100% play like Wynton Marsalis" -Me
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gunnarerikc, I hear you. Of course I wanted a trumpet, when I got my first own horn 40 years ago ... but then again, now I am older and maybe a little wiser and have become interested in cornets again. There is a Bach 37 long cornet that our kids actually suggested I buy (piano and guitar players, but they liked the photos ). How’s that for a change? I feel a dramatically raising pressure to buy the horn
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Klier, Curry
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Trumpets are louder Reply with quote

Trumpets are louder than cornets. Americans teenagers are all about being loud.
adc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwat wrote:
Life's too short for this type of good mannered self deprecation, you're an inspiration - end of, full-stop, period! Would you really be a much better player if you went back and rescheduled your life, I mean who can play every waking hour anyway? We all have downtime from the instrument. Some, like you, seem to use that time productively. I'm a busy man with many interests and a young family but even I have time which is wasted. I've got space where I could put just such a shrine as well.

Thank you for the kind comments my friend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: