• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Deep Mouthpiece

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldboy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Deep Mouthpiece Reply with quote

One to think about.

Since I have had my 'third 'comeback ( I tend to go in and out of playing every 3 /4 years) I have been using reasonably shallow mouthpieces like Yamaha 14B4 and Bobby Shrew Jazz, Jettone Merian C.
Last effort on my previous 'comeback' was an old Schilke 17B4 Mathis but didn't work for me this time. Should add I am getting on for 65 and my lips are relatively thin!

My problem has been hanging on to C- F above staff so that is why I went to shallower mouthpieces. The usual problem switching from Trumpet to Flugal with it's deep cup has been a problem like for so many others.

Have an old C trumpet that was left to me by my Dad ( Meha) and he played it using a flugal/cornet mouthpiece with adapter. Amazement set in when I gave it a try the other week and what I could do! So thought as a trial would go to the other spectrum and get a Curry 7TF which had the same dimensions. Arrived today.

Very deep but hey - can I get the notes! Don't know whether it's my thin lips getting deeper into it or years when I was young playing principle cornet in Brass bands and this was how my embouchure developed. And in case you ask, the trumpet doesn't sound like a flugel. Bit darker but that's what I wanted anyway for smooth jazz in small ensembles and it's easier to switch to flugel and back.
Moral of the story - Don't think by getting shallow mouthpieces will necessarily get you higher. In my case I can stay high on this but still move up and down comfortably which I couldn't do before.
Hope I have helped somebody out there in the same position!

Shire's Q
Martin Committee Custom
Martin Imperial
King RT 8022
and others
Jupiter XO Flugel
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you playing lead? And, endurance-wise, how many sets do you play without getting tired?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Oldboy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously zero happening live now. Will let you know on endurance. Wasn't a problem years ago using deep cornet mouthpieces. Played for ever on some very tricky straight stuff/ Triple/ double tonguing and more. 40 years later who knows but seems really natural to me using jazz technique.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Deep Mouthpiece Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Moral of the story - Don't think by getting shallow mouthpieces will necessarily get you higher. In my case I can stay high on this but still move up and down comfortably which I couldn't do before.
Hope I have helped somebody out there in the same position!

I can't tell you how many times I had to explain this.

Good post!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that the biggest change you made was not in depth but inner diameter. You went from Yamaha 14 and Schilke 17 down to a Curry 7 which likely compares to a Schilke/Yamaha 11.

And two of the pieces you listed are not considered particularly shallow at all. I don't know about that particular JetTone.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Oldboy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheiden

If it is the inner rim that you say is doing the trick then maybe I should also be trying something in a similar inner rim ( fits my 'chops' perfectly but in a shallow. Must admit the deep cup does get rather tiring on continued use. Any recommendations?
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Cheiden

If it is the inner rim that you say is doing the trick then maybe I should also be trying something in a similar inner rim ( fits my 'chops' perfectly but in a shallow. Must admit the deep cup does get rather tiring on continued use. Any recommendations?

Curry makes a whole selection of mouthpieces using that 7 rim.

The Shires 7C is virtually identical. They are both based on the Bach Mt Vernon 7C.

I have a Shires and Curry 7C I could sell, if you are interested.
Oldboy

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about that. Had a Shire's 7c that came with my Shire's Q trumpet I bought some time ago. Never suited so sold it with another horn. Also have a myriad of 7c's as most horns come with them as standard these days. Nothing fits like this 7TF.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
Cheiden

The Curry 7TF is a fairly specialized pieced. I'd steer you towards a more middle of the road cup like the Curry 7C or 7M and go from there.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
cblawrence1948

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also a serial comeback player in your age demographic, and have thin lips as well.

For years I never questioned the mouthpiece I had settled on, but then discovered that small inner diameter mpcs are more comfortable and some of them allow me to play with a rich and full sound. The sweet spot for me is 0.58 - 0.60 inch inner diameter. I was shocked that size works so well and has more of an impact on my playing than cup depth. Currently I am exploring this range by buying various pre-owned mpcs. Examples that work well are: Warburton 9MD and 10SV, Curry 00M and Callet SC 1SS.

Point is: Try a wide range of mpc sizes as you are able, and in your case go smaller than you think is reasonable. Then explore depth until you find a sound you like.
Oldboy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As somebody mentioned the deepness of the Curry 7TF is a bit wearing on the lips although the fit is perfect for me. Emailed Mr Curry himself and he suggested trying out the 7TC as well.
But having real trouble getting hold of one at present. Everybody seems out of stock and we have no suppliers here in Australia. Any ideas? Maybe somebody knows something of a second hand one somewhere?
Thanks
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like deep mouthpieces. I'm playing on Kanstul B4D now. I do wonder if it limits range. I recently got my first lead piece and am really struggling to play it (although flugelhorn is no problem). My vanilla mouthpiece background is Bach 5ish; I think 5c is supposedly a bit deeper than the 3c.

Will be interested to see what you find on playing a deep mouthpiece longterm.
Oldboy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah produce a lovely dark sound if you can handle them. Got a Martin Deluxe and sounds really good.My situation is trying to get something with a smaller diameter for thinner lips and not so wearing. I don't mind going a bit shallower. I have many mouthpieces shallow and semi shallow but don't find much improvement in range so it has to be the smaller diameter. that suits.
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be the rim...or the convex cup...or the "special" backbore which has this affect.
Also, could be a combinations of those too, but whatever it is- enjoy it!
krell1960
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
As somebody mentioned the deepness of the Curry 7TF is a bit wearing on the lips although the fit is perfect for me. Emailed Mr Curry himself and he suggested trying out the 7TC as well.
But having real trouble getting hold of one at present. Everybody seems out of stock and we have no suppliers here in Australia. Any ideas? Maybe somebody knows something of a second hand one somewhere?
Thanks

You may want to consider a curry precision mouthpiece in size 50TC, is .650mm on the curry site, the 7TC is .652mm, its available at mouthpiece express now.

https://mouthpieceexpress.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=18709

good luck,

tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: