• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Can I use this valve oil?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Can I use this valve oil? Reply with quote

I've been told there's really no difference between Yamaha and Hetman's oils, which I already have, but I just got a Getzen Eterna and I was wondering if I can use these oils on the Getzen, too. Thanks.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: Valve oil Reply with quote

I haven't found any difference between the two synthetic valve oils. What formula do you use? On all the instruments I have owed, used the lightest oil. Both are excellent valve oils.

I use La Tromba #1 synthetic oil on both of my instruments.
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Can I use this valve oil? Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I've been told there's really no difference between Yamaha and Hetman's oils, which I already have, but I just got a Getzen Eterna and I was wondering if I can use these oils on the Getzen, too. Thanks.

I don't think you'd have any trouble as long as any old oil is washed off and cases clean, Kehaulani.

I ran numerous oils through my 900. One that worked and works the best for it is Monster Doc's Juice. Fitting.

Enjoy the horn. If you're lucky, you'll feel like somebody poured you into a jet cockpit.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you guys use Hetman's #1 or #2. Thanks.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Would you guys use Hetman's #1 or #2. Thanks.

Probably 2, that would be my guess; I use that on my ‘79 Benge and Wild Thing (the Benge had a valve rebuild).

Brad
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:26 pm    Post subject: Valve oil Reply with quote

According to their website :#1 light formula is for close tight tolerance valves, #2 standard tolerance for standard tolerance, #3 Vintage loose tolerance valves

When I used their valve oil I used #1 light formula.If it had silicone in the formula would use it. That is why I use la tromba or monster oil.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve oil Reply with quote

jondrowjf@gmail.com wrote:
According to their website :#1 light formula is for close tight tolerance valves, #2 standard tolerance for standard tolerance, #3 Vintage loose tolerance valves

This is a brand new Getzen Eterna.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Shifty
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve oil Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

When I got my brand new Getzen Eterna cornet, I used up the bottle of Getzen oil that came with it. After that I switched to Hetmans. The horn worked equally well with #1 and with #2. I'm currently using the #2 based on the philosophy that you should use the thickest oil that provides good action.

I also use Hetmans #2 on my 1997 Eterna 700. It's also fine with #3, but with that I can tell the difference. So I only use #3 on horns that were made when I was still in grade school.

It's only $7 a bottle -- buy all three and experiment. None of them will hurt the horn, although you'll probably end up using the #3 to thin the grease on your third valve tuning slide.
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, guys.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I prefer the new Ultra-Pure, but most oils are fine. Whatever works for you is what works for you.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Hetman #1 and #2 on new Getzens with good results. The #2 oil is not so thick that it slows your new valves down, and the #1 oil is not so thin that it needs to be reapplied frequently, or results in any signs of wear.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Valve oil Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

Oh, then since it’s new, if it was me, I would try #2 first. Mostly because I use #2 on two horns that have fairly recently rebuilt valves.

Off topic, but I would be interested in hearing how you like the new Eterna in comparison to the older ones, once you’ve had time to play it for a while.

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Valve oil Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Off topic, but I would be interested in hearing how you like the new Eterna in comparison to the older ones, once you’ve had time to play it for a while.

Brad, I'm likely not the best to say. I've had two major strokes and playing now is a struggle.

This new horn is lacquered, not silver, (if that makes a difference to some), and it seems to me to be a little darker. Not dark, but with a certain brilliance toned down a little.

To me, it's a superb horn. I would use it any setting, just maybe changing mouthpieces, and I would use another horn if it was for a professional symphony orchestra. Otherwise I think it's super for most playing.

p.s. just a little more background. I used my first Getzen Eterna (Severinsen) as a student at North Texas, then for two years in a service band and, simultaneously, in a "soul" band. It worked well in all situations I needed. My new one seems, to me, to be just a little more versatile.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Yamaha light for years and IF it's the same as Hetman (I also heard that story) I have to say that I prefer La Tromba T2. I use the special and the light version now for quite some time and it's better than Hetman/Yamaha in the meaning that it don't make a residu on the pistons like the Yamaha oil does, especially when you leave the horn for some time in the case.
But on my rotary horns I use all kind of Hetman oils, works great.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano wrote:
I used Yamaha light for years and IF it's the same as Hetman (I also heard that story) I have to say that I prefer La Tromba T2. I use the special and the light version now for quite some time and it's better than Hetman/Yamaha in the meaning that it don't make a residu on the pistons like the Yamaha oil does, especially when you leave the horn for some time in the case.
But on my rotary horns I use all kind of Hetman oils, works great.

Do you know if the issue with two different companies selling La Tromba oil has been settled? I assume you are using the original.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Valve oil Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad, I'm likely not the best to say. I've had two major strokes and playing now is a struggle.

This new horn is lacquered, not silver, (if that makes a difference to some), and it seems to me to be a little darker. Not dark, but with a certain brilliance toned down a little.

To me, it's a superb horn. I would use it any setting, just maybe changing mouthpieces, and I would use another horn if it was for a professional symphony orchestra. Otherwise I think it's super for most playing.

p.s. just a little more background. I used my first Getzen Eterna (Severinsen) as a student at North Texas, then for two years in a service band and, simultaneously, in a "soul" band. It worked well in all situations I needed. My new one seems, to me, to be just a little more versatile.

Thank you for the insight on the new one. And even if your playing today is difficult for you, obviously you have an experience level and extensive background that makes your opinion on the new Eterna valuable.

Brad
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Brad.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mdarnton
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Ultrapure in my 907, no issues. Switched from Getzen without a hitch.
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little extra wrinkle on oils.

Oils are often miscible this means mixable.

If both are paraffin based they will mix if both are mineral oil based they should mix if both are synthetic they should mix.

Oils from the same maker such as hetmans will mix. The difference is only the viscosity.

This means if you discover hetmans 1 to be too light and hetmans 2 to be too heavy you can mix hetmans 1 and 2 and end up with hetmans 1 1/2 and have perfect results every time.

The only problem is getting it back in the goddam bottles.

Clue here, an old mineral oil bottle flushed out can be useful.
jondrowjf@gmail.com
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Cleaning trumpet Reply with quote

Throughly clean valves and valve block, before applying new valve oils. Use isopropyl alcohol on the valves, valve holes, bottom caps, inside of valve block. The valve oil I use on both of Getzen horns is Latromba #1 valve oil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: