• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

From the Safety of My Practice Room

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 54, 55, 56  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
MrClean wrote:
Episode #91

https://youtu.be/bBdZvBIGS5w

The biggest issues in this one were endurance/recovery, air management and staying focused throughout - lot's of places to let your guard down.

Once again, I really enjoyed the choices you made in the presentation and how you kept it musical and lyrical. It would be so easy to let it become academic.

This one was astonishingly great! Wow! That is a REALLY hard etude! (For me, at least.)
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
Episode #92

The goal was consistent, energetic fronts, good dynamic contrast, and snappy rhythm throughout.

I think you nailed your goals on this one.
Did you change something in your recording technique? More reverb? Sound was a bit different this time.
Bb Bugle: Kanstul
Bb Pocket: Manchester Brass
Flugel: Taylor Standard
Bass Trumpet: BAC Custom
Natural Tr: Custom Haas replica by Nikolai Mänttäri Morales
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:

Did you change something in your recording technique? More reverb? Sound was a bit different this time.

Yes, there was an equipment change, and I am still experimenting with trying to dial it in. As much as I care about the fidelity of these videos, that is secondary to my intended goal. Sound will be all over the map over the next few weeks.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
[
Yes, there was an equipment change, and I am still experimenting with trying to dial it in.

For what it is worth (and I understand the real purpose, so it is a minor point), I liked the way it was in the previous couple of videos better, cleaner, more straight forward. That has nothing to do with the playing of course, just the recording. The playing is great.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode #93

https://youtu.be/Xawfz0uxsYM
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
MrClean wrote:
[
Yes, there was an equipment change, and I am still experimenting with trying to dial it in.

For what it is worth (and I understand the real purpose, so it is a minor point), I liked the way it was in the previous couple of videos better, cleaner, more straight forward. That has nothing to do with the playing of course, just the recording. The playing is great.

Yeah, somebody ripped me on YouTube, too. I'd offer you your money back, but...
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you did not consider my comment "ripping" you. Just stating a preference, and would be glad to hear your playing in either recording style. I have enjoyed these etudes immensely.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comment was fine. The one on YT was worded in a way that was not clear, but could have been an issue with language - I’m sure it got a little lost in translation. I actually had an old student work the reverb on the last couple (and a couple more coming up), and then I went back to trying stuff on my own. I went as far as buying ProTools and some reverb plug-ins ($200 worth) only to have PT stop working on me a few days ago. It’s frustrating, because I don’t feel the sound on the videos is accurate, and I am trying to fix that. Having said that, I will never throw away a good take because the mic was too close/far. I don’t have the physical resources to burn good takes.

I apologize for being a little prickly, but I have spent about $2,000 upgrading my audio game since starting this project, which produces zero income, at a time when my orchestra is not working. Sorry for the rant.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
I will never throw away a good take because the mic was too close/far.
I have spent about $2,000 upgrading my audio game since starting this project, which produces zero income, at a time when my orchestra is not working.

Totally understood on the good takes. Ouch on the 2K. Audio equipment adds up fast, especially good mics. One of the tough things is trying to make up for the space you are working in using software. I think everything is a lot more forgiving if you can use or find a space that has good acoustic qualities or the acoustic qualities you want. Everything is a lot more forgiving on the equipment and software then. Keep on plugging at getting the sound you like. It is tough. And sometimes less is more. At least you have great sound coming out of the trumpet and the only problem is reproducing it in recordings.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is what makes for a good recording acoustic (very dry) is sort of at odds with my preferred practice acoustic. I need some reverb to keep from getting really tight and worn out within 5 minutes. I abhor dry acoustics, but I know that’s what works best in post. I built a foam box around my Royer yesterday to try to mitigate some of the unwanted reflections. It’s a process, and I am learning...
mileage
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:44 pm    Post subject: Episode #93 Reply with quote

Episode #93
Beautiful! Well, that’s a lifetimes practice for me just trying to get close to sounding like you on the first two notes!
If you ever feel like sharing your ideas on routine/practice etc I’d be very interested to listen.
Thanks for these videos, they are, for me the best thing to come out of this lockdown and an incredible learning resource for the future.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The world lost another musical giant yesterday. I only worked with Ryan once - we were doing a world premiere of a very difficult opera, and a sudden illness in the section meant I'd be playing principal instead of merely assisting. I knew we needed a *very* big gun to come in on such short notice to help, so we called Ryan, and he agreed to drop what he was doing to assist me. I could not have asked for a more supportive, generous guy to sit next to me. He was very complimentary during the week, but we both knew who was doing the heavy lifting (it wasn't me). RIP, Ryan. When most of us would have just given up, you devoted the remainder of your life to establishing a foundation that would help others in similar circumstances. You were by all measures an extraordinary musician and human being, but I believe your true legacy will be your foundation. Please consider donating to this very worthy cause.

https://youtu.be/wamF7KSArBw

https://www.cancerblows.com/addgift.php?v2glid=126909
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode #94

https://youtu.be/tatLvDaoR7k

You guys are getting a lot of Collins these days...

Aiming for very energized articulations throughout, good rhythmic snap. his is another one that was 'verbed by a former student, so yeah, still monkeying with sound. The Ryan Anthony video I posted yesterday was actually recorded yesterday (this one, about 3.5 weeks ago). I'm not particularly satisfied with the sound on that one, so the search continues.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
The problem is what makes for a good recording acoustic (very dry) is sort of at odds with my preferred practice acoustic. I need some reverb to keep from getting really tight and worn out within 5 minutes. I abhor dry acoustics, but I know that’s what works best in post. I built a foam box around my Royer yesterday to try to mitigate some of the unwanted reflections. It’s a process, and I am learning...

There is actually a lot of debate around this. The old idea of dry acoustics, isolation, etc., has come under fire from various corners. Dry is dry and not fun to play in. Might be interesting to try just using the acoustics you have. Not sure how large your practice room is. I have messed around with some recording in our guest room. It is a moderate sized room, with a two tiered vaulted ceiling (wood ceiling) (partially leading to a clerestory to allow light to the back side of the room. Large windows on one side. I find that if I play facing the windows with my mic offset from the horn about 30 deg, the acoustics of the room make for a decent recording even on a Zoom H2n. It does seem that the room needs a little size. My practice room is quite small and I cannot get decent recording there in a similar manner.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
Episode #93

Wonderful. Where can I find this piece?
Nicely done.
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
Episode #94

You guys are getting a lot of Collins these days...

The Ryan Anthony video I posted yesterday was actually recorded yesterday (this one, about 3.5 weeks ago). I'm not particularly satisfied with the sound on that one, so the search continues.

The Ryan Anthony video was really wonderful. Great tribute. Thanks for doing that.
Collins is fine with me, though I also enjoy ones where I can get hold of the music. This one was great.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
MrClean wrote:
Episode #93

Wonderful. Where can I find this piece?
Nicely done.

http://www.wwjdo.com/_sites/lyric/lyricstudies.pdf
cgaiii
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
MrClean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgaiii wrote:
MrClean wrote:

There is actually a lot of debate around this. The old idea of dry acoustics, isolation, etc., has come under fire from various corners. Dry is dry and not fun to play in. Might be interesting to try just using the acoustics you have. Not sure how large your practice room is. I have messed around with some recording in our guest room. It is a moderate sized room, with a two tiered vaulted ceiling (wood ceiling) (partially leading to a clerestory to allow light to the back side of the room. Large windows on one side. I find that if I play facing the windows with my mic offset from the horn about 30 deg, the acoustics of the room make for a decent recording even on a Zoom H2n. It does seem that the room needs a little size. My practice room is quite small and I cannot get decent recording there in a similar manner.

The room is very small. 7x9 with 7' ceiling, hard surfaces. It's loud. There's no room for the sound to stretch out. My old house had better options - this one, not so much.
Eliot
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrClean wrote:
Episode #93

https://youtu.be/Xawfz0uxsYM

I just listened ... again ... to you playing this piece ...

This time, because you shared the music, I was able to follow the notes as you played them ...

So much more enjoyable listening to your playing as the music floats off the page, through electronic channels and fibre optic cables and into the speakers in my office.

Very, very nice; mournful and haunting. Amazing how the minor key produces such great music ... much of the time.

Your playing sure manages to encourage us "try hards" to continue with our practise and to get the black dots and circles abounding on the pages to sound musical.

Thank you for investing both your time and dollars, and inviting us into "the safety of your practice room."
B&S 150A Alto-Tenor Horn
Yamaha FZ8n (motorcycle)
Conn 83B (trumpet)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Video/audio All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Page 16 of 56

Jump to: